double salto question??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You mean a 2-salto pass? (This is different from a double-salto -- I don't believe there are any double-salto skills allowed at level 8, since they're all C or higher difficulty)

The three most common ones I've seen are:
1) Front tuck stepout roundoff backhandspring back tuck/layout
2) Roundoff-whip-backhandspring-back tuck/layout
3) Front tuck-front tuck (or some variation thereof -- sometimes it's layout punch tuck, sometimes it's handspring-front tuck-front tuck, etc)

Of the three, the front stepout is probably the easiest, but also the least useful from a developmental perspective. Front-front connections are either extremely easy or extremely difficult, depending on the gymnast, and are developmentally extremely useful. And whip passes are more or less in the middle.

A barani does not count as a salto so barani back handspring back tuck would not count as a two salto pass. You'd have to do either a front tuck step out or a whip into the back handspring. Our head coach had a couple of the girls doing round-off (with or without a back handspring) into layout to back tuck. It took them a little while to figure it out, but was very nice once they got it.

Our girls seem to do either RO BHS BLO BT or FHS FLO FT - just depends on if you are a good back tumbler or front tumbler. My dd is working both but wants to compete the front pass because she thinks its easier!

is brandi a good gymnast? just wondering...:)

barani>whip back or tuck back= 2 salto pass

barani>back handspring>any salto= 2 salto pass

i'm not sure where barcoach is getting his info. any 2 saltos in 1 pass= 2 salto pass.

A barani you can actually tumble out of is usually a barani straight...isn't that a C in JO and not useable in L8?

In my experience a whip-tuck connection is far easier.

A barani you can actually tumble out of is usually a barani straight...isn't that a C in JO and not useable in L8?

In my experience a whip-tuck connection is far easier.

any somi with a 1/2 turn is a "B".

is brandi a good gymnast? just wondering...:)

barani>whip back or tuck back= 2 salto pass

barani>back handspring>any salto= 2 salto pass

i'm not sure where barcoach is getting his info. any 2 saltos in 1 pass= 2 salto pass.

I wonder if maybe they were thinking the barani would be an aerial roundoff (i.e. one foot takeoff) which of course wouldn't be a salto. However, obviously if there is a two foot takeoff there is no problem and it will be a salto, although many level 8s would probably struggle with a punch barani connected to back tumbling. If the kid can do it, I always like that pass :)

At L8, my dd did a few different passes (she did 2 yrs of L8, but she always did (2) 2 salto passes in her routines:

RO - Whip - BHS - Layout
RO - Whip - Tuck
**RO- BHS - Half - Punch tuck or Pike
**FHS - FLO - FT or Pike

**The great thing about these passes are if you do the Pike out of them, they will be .1 bonus at L9 - so you are working toward the next level.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back