USAG Athlete Membership

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member D3987

sorry it took so long. here are the current numbers. i can't remember the coach from Australia who was asking, but here you go. the numbers on left are current and the numbers on right are from 2009.
ACRO
No Level Distinction: 1045
T&T
No Level Distinction: 6830

GROUP
No Level Distinction: 8279

*updated 4.25.12
WOMENS 2009
INTRO 1: 280
INTRO 2: 966
INTRO 3: 4854
INTRO Prep Opt: 6659 2295
Level 2: 431 221
Level 3: 2484 1214
Level 4: 21885 21766
Level 5: 17086 16856
Level 6: 8412 8542
Level 7: 7979 7623
Level 8: 5728 5269
Level 9: 3718 3248
Level 10: 2258 1684
Elite: 96 79
TOPS: 17
Total: 82853 68797

MENS
Level 4: 4509 4184
Level 5: 3359 3114
Level 6: 2006 1808
Level 7: 756 824
Level 8 (11-13): 395 557
Level 8 (14-15): 294
Level 9: 775 519
Level 10 (14-15): 457 899
Level 10 (16-18): 579
Elite: 193 136
Total: 13323

RHYTHMIC
Level 3: 124
Level 4: 472
Level 5: 340
Level 6: 281
Level 7: 188
Level 8: 113
Level 9: 116
Level 10: 47
Elite: 4
Group: 35

Very interesting. So, in WAG, the sport is growing. Prep Op isn't taking away from the numbers of JO, but is definitely addding a lot to the numbers of girls who are involved in/sticking with gymnastics. The only number that is down is Level 6, which tells me that more gyms are chosing not to compete 6, either scoring out after 5 or else doing a year or two of prep op in its place.

It's interesting that JO is growing while High School gymnastics seems to be dying out, in our state at least. Thanks for the info, Dunno!

I just find it so interesting how the numbers drop after level 5. That darned kip, and I guess the tough scoring in 6 (which I didn't find to be particularly that tough - perhaps overall lower but not significantly.
Very interesting. So, in WAG, the sport is growing. Prep Op isn't taking away from the numbers of JO, but is definitely addding a lot to the numbers of girls who are involved in/sticking with gymnastics. The only number that is down is Level 6, which tells me that more gyms are chosing not to compete 6, either scoring out after 5 or else doing a year or two of prep op in its place.

It's interesting that JO is growing while High School gymnastics seems to be dying out, in our state at least. Thanks for the info, Dunno!

A lot of gyms are just doing 1 L6 meet to score out and then training for L7 or Xcel. This helps with retention and Xcel helps girls compete who would otherwise have to repeat compulsory levels which gets way old after 2 years.

Yeah, I didn't necessarily think level 6 scoring was all that hard, but then DD changed to a better gym right before level 6. I might be singing a different tune if we had stayed at the Y.

Truly, don't you think that the drop-off is probably similar for any activity? Other DD had dance recital practice last night and the classes for the 3, 4, and 5 year olds are packed and the classes for the 1st-3rd graders are pretty full too. After that, the classes get a lot smaller. I'm sure that there are a lot more pee-wee soccer players than there are kids who are still on teams by the time they hit late elementary school. Add to that the instensity and the expense of gymnastics, and it's sort of amazing that there are almost 83,000 girls competing in USAG.

Ah... The one bad thing about taptalk.... It takes out all The line breaks... Looks like a paragraph of numbers. I'll have to look at it on my big old laptop when I get home. Thanks for posting the dunno.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Truly, don't you think that the drop-off is probably similar for any activity? Other DD had dance recital practice last night and the classes for the 3, 4, and 5 year olds are packed and the classes for the 1st-3rd graders are pretty full too. After that, the classes get a lot smaller. I'm sure that there are a lot more pee-wee soccer players than there are kids who are still on teams by the time they hit late elementary school. Add to that the instensity and the expense of gymnastics, and it's sort of amazing that there are almost 83,000 girls competing in USAG.

I agree. I think a lot has to do with age and how many sports they are doing. In the younger ages, you are mor likely to be splitting your time between 2 of more sports. As you get up in the levels of any sport, this becomes harder and it is especially true in gym, where it is year round. Level 5-6 has a large quantity of girls about to start middle school and other things take the front seat. Many girls don't want to be in the gym that many hours at that age. Not to mention all the adolescent changes going on at that time...

Truly, don't you think that the drop-off is probably similar for any activity?

Definitely. It seems like right around that age most sports/activities get to the point where to be committed you need to give up everything else. We have a few L5's who are also on a competitive dance team too. L6 is a significant increase in hours where we are, so these girls are now at the point where they have to pick dance or gym. At least one of them is thinking of moving to PrepOp so she can at least stay in the sport. And, like someone else said, once middle and high school hit, schoolwork and social life become huge factors. Very interesting!

A lot of gyms are just doing 1 L6 meet to score out and then training for L7 or Xcel. This helps with retention and Xcel helps girls compete who would otherwise have to repeat compulsory levels which gets way old after 2 years.
That happens a lot in Florida - L5 - PO - L7, with an in house L6 meet to move on.

Definitely age is a factor with the drop off rates. Girls do tend to quit sports during that middle school age, I think that has been an issue for a long time. I think it could be a combination of things, have a girl who is not as enthused and is feeling she is missing out of social situations, coupled with all of a sudden not doing so well at meets, having a hard time with gym etc., it is probably just one more reason to quit. I also see in gymnastics fears seem to take on a whole new meaning with girls at around that middle school age. Sure that doesn't help either. Whatever it is, our gym always seems to have a talk with the older 10s, 11s and young 12 year olds (the ones who have not yet been hit by the middle school social world) about that very thing.

Interesting.
Yeah, I didn't necessarily think level 6 scoring was all that hard, but then DD changed to a better gym right before level 6. I might be singing a different tune if we had stayed at the Y.

I've been looking for numbers like this for such a long time. This is soooooo interesting

Very interesting!
The compulsory numbers have not changed that much from 2009 to 2012, (with the exception of the already discussed L6), level 7 has had a small increase, but there is a significant increase in L8-10 gymnasts. Does that possibly point to more girls sticking with it in the higher levels than previously, or is there something else going on? It just seems like a pretty big gain in just 3 years.
I just love stats....

Very interesting!
The compulsory numbers have not changed that much from 2009 to 2012, (with the exception of the already discussed L6), level 7 has had a small increase, but there is a significant increase in L8-10 gymnasts. Does that possibly point to more girls sticking with it in the higher levels than previously, or is there something else going on? It just seems like a pretty big gain in just 3 years.
I just love stats....

I'm sure it is a combination of several points, including more girls coming from prep op to level 7 and beyond. I also wonder if more gyms are allowing girls to progress through the levels vs. Repeating levels until mastery. Example, it seems like there are more girls scoring in the 32-34 range moving up to the next level. Also, the past 3 years are filled with girls with dreams of the big Olympics, so there may be more girls competing multiple levels in one year.

How are levels determine for USAG anyway? Does the coach just put one level down on he yearly registration? Does it come from meet results?

it comes from athlete registration from the gym to USAG.

it comes from athlete registration from the gym to USAG.

so, what do you do with gymnasts who will score out of 1+ levels in a year? Does the gym go ahead and register the gymnasts at the level they think they will end up competing for that year or the next level up from previous year? For example, a level 5 competes in the fall as 5, scores out of 6 and competes level 7 in the spring.... OK, I know this doesn't happen much... I'm just curious.

Well, I for one am pleased to see the growth in MAG. It is such a good sport for boys.

I wonder if the new routines will make continuing into L7 and beyond more attractive for the boys who don't have elite dreams? Even though doing gymnastics at the upper levels precludes really serious training in other sports, a boy easily can go a lot of different places sportswise after a long run in gymnastics.

Definitely age is a factor with the drop off rates. Girls do tend to quit sports during that middle school age, I think that has been an issue for a long time.

I don't know if it necessarily is a problem. I think there's just many more interesting activities for girls to do once they hit the teen years. Maybe they want to devote time to yearbook or Model UN or the school play. I don't think you can really commit to any of those activities during the competitive season if you are an Optional gymnast (or even an L6).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News