WAG back handspring back layout step out

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Muddlethru

Proud Parent
Hi. My daughter is having a little trouble doing her bhs back layout step out on beam. She always has trouble keeping squared on the beam. At level 8 she had so much trouble doing bhs, bhs and sticking it. She always came out of it crooked and fell off beam. So her coach modified her beam and used the bhs bhs to her dismount. This kept her on beam. This year, she said she keeps splitting the beam on the bhs back layout step out or she does not split until very late. She can do the bhs back layout but the step out is causing her problems. So again, they've incorporated the bhs bhs (on both feet) to a full dismount. Any suggestions on what she should think about so that she splits on the layout step out and/or can anyone tell me if and what the deduction is if she does not split enough on her back layout step out? Her coach just removes the skill but she tells me she wants to get it.

Could this all be vestibular? I am sensing a pattern. In her fulls, she was twisting too early and now in her bhs backlayout step out, she is splitting too late.

People in my gym do a bhs back layout two feet. It helps them stay on the beam because they dont have to worry about their split throwing them off the beam. Hope this helps:)

Thanks savbug7. She can do a bhs back layout two feet. It is just that that back layout step out is something she wants to be able to do. Even on floor she does not split enough. She said she is afraid to land on her head. So I guess that is just a fear she needs to overcome. She comfotably does a side and front aerial on beam.

not vestibular. and savbug7 is correct. think Raisman. this was the reason she landed 2 feet. there's nothing wrong or less doing it that way.:)

Thanks dunno. I would like to pm you but your box if full. Can you please delete some messages? Greatly appreciate it. ;-)

This is an alignment issue and some girls won't get this easily. I'm strong but my back and shoulders are not even (literally, uneven shoulder blades) and not overly flexible. I did BHS two foot layout. She may have scoliosis (a mild form will cause alignment issues but usually not serious problems). I put on muscle easily and my muscle over-development on one side (left, from driving my left leg into everything - I'm right footed) pushes against the way my spine curves, so it never got very serious. But my shoulder blades are still uneven, and while my legs are flexible (like my hamstrings), my hip flexors aren't. So I can do oversplits reasonably but then the hip flexor mobility tends to cause issues with things like layout step outs.

What level is this skill? DD was doing it with a spot this weekend, and it seemed way advanced for her level. I couldn't figure out where that came from or why the coach was doing it with her.

An early, big step-out will usually take your hips out of alignment, just like sitting in the splits does. She possibly feels that loss of alignment and is uncomfortable with it, but she should still be ok as long as the alignment loss is "equal" in the sense that it's not all coming from the front leg reaching into the step-out.

The back leg will pull one hip back while the front leg pulls the other hip forward, that will make the alingment loss equal and still centered over the beam.

Another pitfall is reaching to the landing before you're close enough to the beam to put your foot on it. If she puts extra effort into that reach, her alingment twists out of square and her foot will come down in a diagonal path to the beam, and that creates a landing where she has only one precise spot to land, a 4 inch square spot to land on, rather than a 4 inch wide strip that's long enough for her to choose her landing spot.

Just thinking out loud that maybe she senses these things but doesn't know how to correct them. If she feels that some of this fits her situation she should talk to her coach about how to proceed.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back