WAG Hair Ribbon deduction...?!?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So today was my DD's post meet practice & her coach tells them they all got a tenth deduction for their hair ribbon!(inappropriate attire) What?! I've never heard of a ribbon deduction! We were competing out of state though. Their ribbons this year are not staying tied well & will end up hanging down during a routine, but they tie them back as soon as they notice. So, no more ribbons for us!

So today was my DD's post meet practice & her coach tells them they all got a tenth deduction for their hair ribbon!(inappropriate attire) What?! I've never heard of a ribbon deduction! We were competing out of state though. Their ribbons this year are not staying tied well & will end up hanging down during a routine, but they tie them back as soon as they notice. So, no more ribbons for us!

Well if they "tie them back as soon as they notice" during a routine, that would be the deduction...

some of these made up deductions are getting a bit ridiculous...i told you, the judges spend to much time on this kind of BS instead of doing their jobs...which is to evaluate routines. and they can't even do that well anymore.

I do think this can be a safety problem. <Think - loose end of ribbon caught under hand while doing a blind on bars.> Luckily, there is an easy fix. You can either sew a quick stitch through the middle of the tied ribbon (into the area of hair the elastic holds tightly) or take a couple of small clear elastics and criss-cross them over the middle of the bow. Both methods will end the problem of ribbons coming untied.

well, yes. but that would then be a coaching mistake. coaches know ^^^that. let's hope she doesn't come back and say the ribbons were so long that it presented a dangerous situation.

She just told me it was the beam judges, I didn't notice any dangerously,long, untied ribbons on beam, but..... maybe they saw something? I've just never heard of a ribbon deduction! Lol

some of these made up deductions are getting a bit ridiculous...i told you, the judges spend to much time on this kind of BS instead of doing their jobs...which is to evaluate routines. and they can't even do that well anymore.

I think another plausible situation looks like... Coach thinks to self: I hate these dangling ribbons. How can I make them go away? Oh! Blame the judges! Then I won't look like the bad person!

Snarky comments about judges are really obnoxious. This is a reason why parents whine so much about scores.

actually, not snarky at all. sometimes the truth hurts. 1/2 dozen meets this past week end in different parts of the country. judges at these meets tell the coaches that the "yurchenko" safety zone mats can't be used on the "vault runway" per the new rule that says that hand mats can only be used for yurchenko's. and not for front entry vaults. so they disallow the yurchenko safety zone mats (which are NOT hand mats) because that's their interpretation of the rule. freak out a bunch of kids and make it look like their coaches don't know the rules. so then, back at you! good grief!

and as i said, the coaches know the thing about the ribbons but a miscalculation could have been made. but i doubt it.

and if i hear 1 more judge make a comment about a little kid and their underwear sticking out...well...i just might wear a pair of my own underwear over my head at the next meet.:)

and if i hear 1 more judge make a comment about a little kid and their underwear sticking out...well...i just might wear a pair of my own underwear over my head at the next meet.:)

OMG this, seriously! The leotards are cut SO high these days it's IMPOSSIBLE to keep the panties in. We've tried every brand I know of (Motionwear, Dreamlights, GK, Random Dance Brand I am forgetting...). My only other option is to send her out there in a thong and they don't make those for a 21" waist because an eleven year old shouldn't have to worry about freaking panty lines.

Clearly, no judges are competent, and they all spend their time worrying about kids' underwear and hair ribbons. Love broad generalizations.

actually, not snarky at all. sometimes the truth hurts. 1/2 dozen meets this past week end in different parts of the country. judges at these meets tell the coaches that the "yurchenko" safety zone mats can't be used on the "vault runway" per the new rule that says that hand mats can only be used for yurchenko's. and not for front entry vaults. so they disallow the yurchenko safety zone mats (which are NOT hand mats) because that's their interpretation of the rule. freak out a bunch of kids and make it look like their coaches don't know the rules. so then, back at you! good grief!

and as i said, the coaches know the thing about the ribbons but a miscalculation could have been made. but i doubt it.

Sheesh Dunno, we all knew you were busy, but wow!:p

OMG this, seriously! The leotards are cut SO high these days it's IMPOSSIBLE to keep the panties in. We've tried every brand I know of (Motionwear, Dreamlights, GK, Random Dance Brand I am forgetting...). My only other option is to send her out there in a thong and they don't make those for a 21" waist because an eleven year old shouldn't have to worry about freaking panty lines.

I so agree I just wish they would make the leos more decent.

What is a yurchenko safety zone mat and how is it different from a handmat if they both go on the runway - or is a safety zone mat the one that goes round the back of the springboard that is shaped like a U?

I think another plausible situation looks like... Coach thinks to self: I hate these dangling ribbons. How can I make them go away? Oh! Blame the judges! Then I won't look like the bad person!

Snarky comments about judges are really obnoxious. This is a reason why parents whine so much about scores.

It did cross my mind that maybe he hated them and made up this "ribbon deduction", (he has already banned their red sparkle Toms lol) so the first thing I ask my DD was..."Do you think he is just saying that ?"Surely that isn't true!" & she replied with "No, I believe him, I could tell he was serious about us really getting a deduction."

I love to do my daughter's hair (level 5) and I like to get creative with it. however, I do wonder sometimes if it affects the scores. Maybe I'll stick with scrunchies after this thread!

We have a girl who has worn a ribbon at every meet this year and has had the judges COMPLIMENT her for it...not deduct her for it...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back