Back Handspring Problems!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello, I am new here, and I wanted to ask a question concerning my back handspring.

I'm 13 (14 on Tuesday) years old and I just began level four gymnastics. Except...I don't have my back handspring! I've been trying to get this skill for five months now, but with very little practice. See, I go twice a week for two hours each and I have my back handspring on trampoline perfectly and I also have it on tumble track. But when I try it on floor with a spot, my arms bend A LOT. To the point where my head is almost touching the ground. Before I go, I always try to keep strong, straight arms and to bounce off my shoulders, but it does not work. I don't know why this is, because I am strong. My coach says i go back and not up enough.. My legs are also really bent. How can I fix these problems?
My coach says I could probably do it alone. I am just nervous my arms and legs will bend so much that I'll hurt myself.
So why are my legs and arms bending so much and how can I fix it? I am the only one in level four who doesn't have a back handspring and I REALLY want it...but with good and safe form.
Thank you!:)

Remember to push really hard through your legs when you jump backwards as this will give you the extra power to complete the back handspring as the floor is not as bouncy. This is what my coach always told me and it worked. Also if you push really hard, your legs should end up straight (no bent knees).

Sounds like you're not getting enough of a push of your legs (though it's hard to tell without a video) - this is the part that is a lot harder without the bouncy trampoline. Try doing more leg strength and make sure you push really hard through your legs and keep your chest up and body going back in your backhandspring. Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Sounds like you're not getting enough of a push of your legs (though it's hard to tell without a video) - this is the part that is a lot harder without the bouncy trampoline. Try doing more leg strength and make sure you push really hard through your legs and keep your chest up and body going back in your backhandspring. Hope this helps!

I never thought about it like this. Thanks so much for the help! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back