Coaches New JO routines - specific skills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PalmTree

Coach
Level 3 Beam - it says mount is "leg swing to cross sit." Does that mean it's like the current Level 5/6 mount? Not the current Level 4 mount? I hate the current Level 4 mount and would be elated if I no longer have to teach it.
"Cross handstand with legs in split position" - pretty self explanatory, but why in split? I have kids who can hold it legs together in vertical, is that not allowed?

Level 3 Floor - "backward swing turn" what is that? Is it like the opposite of what is currently in front of the Level 5/6 back walkover?

Any info is appreciated! I know the finalized routines come out this summer...can't wait!!!

I'm not from the US so I can't shed too much light. But the split handstand for level 3 is a great idea. Many kids try to just kick up to handstand on the beam rather than hitting the split handstand and controlling their legs up to the vertical position.

it may also be like Australia where we require an L handstand, so one leg only has to hit vertical and the other just has to get off the beam. Not as progressive as a split handstand, but very doable for a level 3.

The backward swing turn was in the 1997-2005 beam routines... backwards swing turn, pose pose pose, handstand/BWO?

Leg swing to cross sit must be the same as the current mount or very similar. I can't think of what else that might refer to. I mean possibly it could be a front support leg swing over rather than current step, swing over. But I think there will definitely be a swing to tuck, that mount has been at level for more than one cycle.

That backward swing turn like we did on compulsory beam in the late 90s is kind of awkward on floor. I tested teaching it to my preteam. Like when you did on beam, you swung your foot next to the beam. On the floor, it's harder unless they have a really good releve. Also, they kept turning before the swing back so it was an awkward spin around with their leg in front of them...so yes, if it's the same thing, I fully look forward to years to come of teaching this. It's not really something from the last cycle that I thought was greatly missed...I think the forward swing turn in the current level 5/6 OR just swing forward, swing back hold (NO TURN) similar to current beam but with a hold beat is more effective. But I guess it could be worse, they could have brought back the backward chasse, of course if they brought back the bad leg leap pass and backward chasses, we wouldn't have any more 9.9s at the level 4 Olympics.

of course if they brought back the bad leg leap pass and backward chasses, we wouldn't have any more 9.9s at the level 4 Olympics.

:jaw-dropping:

But... Whatever would we do without 39+ aa scores at levels 3 & 4??

oh.. Wait. I know. Increase hours. Level 4s would need to be bumped up to AT LEAST 24 hours per week to accommodate teaching the art of the perfect backward chasse.

Excited for the new gymnastics routines coming out this summer too!!:)

I can't explain how much I hate the current Level 4 mount!! What is it a lead up for? Maybe if I knew I could appreciate it more. My kids can never seem to figure out how to get their hips off the beam. And I still don't get the backward swing turn. Although I competed all through 2005, so I should look back through old videos and see if I can find it on beam...

I can't explain how much I hate the current Level 4 mount!! What is it a lead up for? Maybe if I knew I could appreciate it more. My kids can never seem to figure out how to get their hips off the beam. And I still don't get the backward swing turn. Although I competed all through 2005, so I should look back through old videos and see if I can find it on beam...

It's a mount. It's not a lead up for anything. It's a great exercise for presses and casts though.

Teach them just to cast on beam first, coming back to support. Encourage their hips to stay close to the beam while their feet swing behind them. Feet up, then hips will follow, if they are trying to get their hips up they are probably piking, which is not a correct cast action. It is a cast so teach it like a cast :)

As gymdog explained it relates to other skills, essentially you are including strength and bar work to your beam rotation.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back