Coaches Level 6/7 Floor Routine Length

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jabba

Coach
I just want to be certain I'm understanding this correctly...

Level 6 floor length is 1:15. level 7 (and all higher levels) is 1:30. But if a gymnast does a 1:30 floor routine in Level 6, she will only lose .10 for being overtime, correct?

Assuming the above is correct, does anyone else think it may not be uncommon to see a longer Level 6 floor, since you only lose .10 and music/routines are typically kept for more than one year?

I just want to be certain I'm understanding this correctly...

Level 6 floor length is 1:15. level 7 (and all higher levels) is 1:30. But if a gymnast does a 1:30 floor routine in Level 6, she will only lose .10 for being overtime, correct?

Assuming the above is correct, does anyone else think it may not be uncommon to see a longer Level 6 floor, since you only lose .10 and music/routines are typically kept for more than one year?
==
Scoring out, common. competing entire season, uncommon. Reason, why would you compete an entire season with a tenth built in for each kid. That could be 3 tenths off your team score.

^^^there isn't? I thought they could take 1.0 for music being too short?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Ahh ok. So, if you had a gymnast who is between Level 6 and 7, and you had to make the routine up now, it would be in her best interest to make the routine 1:15, correct? She wouldn't get deducted for that time in either level?

Sent from my SCH-I405 using ChalkBucket mobile app

When I was judging last season, I saw a pretty big trend of level 7s only doing a two-pass FX. A Ro-BHS-layout, and a FHS-FT. They's do a 3/2 turn/straddle jump/switch leap for their Bs. With only 7 skills required, there's really no reason to need a 90 second floor routine. I'd rather see a little less choreography and have what remains be done exceptionally well than a bunch of loose, sad-looking rolling on the floor to take up time. And remember, 90 seconds is the MAX - I've seen many level 9s and 10s with routines hitting about 80 sec. 1:15 really isn't that much shorter
My current 5s who will go straight to 7 next year will get a longer (80+ sec) FX initially, probably with 3 passes so it can be more easily used at level 8 as well. The girls who need some extra time to progress will go to 6, get a slightly shorter routine, use the shorter routine for a year at 7. Then, whether they stay at 7 or go to 8, they'll get a longer routine.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back