why aren't briefs built in to leos?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
I know - a superficial question but seriously - with all that rides on whether undergarments are showing during competition, why don't leo makers include integrated briefs?

Lots of people talk about leos being the same as wearing a swimsuit but that's not really true as swim suits all have liners at least throughout the crotch - sometimes more. an added layer of coverage and/or protection.

With Leos, I would think it would be really easy to integrate a brief or even a whole leo liner (in the front). So, I'm just wondering if it's been tried or if there are some of these out there.

alison

I agree I think they should be built in. I mean you have to wash them after one wear anyway so it makes no difference. I think it spoils alot of the photos of the world/ olympic gymnasts too as they always have tan knickers hanging out. I think alot of leos are too high cut these days , some are almost indecent.

When I was a kid people used to sew a pair in. I must admit I have considered it for my daughter as if she wears a leo without shorts she likes to wear knickers.

Totally agree! It would be so much easier and better looking. No deductions on routines because of their undergarments hanging out.

Well a lot of people don't wear briefs or like to so I guess that is probably why, it's unnecessary to sell the product (we have to buy it anyway) and then they can sell another product to those who do want it. Even when I was older I didn't wear anything for practice (did wear shorts sometimes though). And only sometimes for meets. Depended on the leo and the situation. I don't think it's the same as a swimsuit because most of them are a thicker/more opaque material and aren't going to get wet = not see through. However some very light colored leos in nylon are a little see-through.

Well you actually can have a liner built in. If you go to the gk website and special design a leo you can have the option to have a liner built in. I actually have one leo like that. It is really nice bec/ u dont have to worry about the under wear showing. It helps by just adding an extra layer thats built in for convienence.

gymgal - I think you are onto a brilliant idea and I see designing leo's in your future :D Seriously - why isn't it done that way all the time ??

My daughters team leos are from Alpha Factor, and they have an option of sewn in briefs or bra. She did not get either, because she can't stand to wear underwear with her leos, and she has some good bras that don't pop out! The girls that did get them are happy with them. I do notice that if you don't have the perfect fit, the undies still tend to creep out a bit, but they are beige and tend to blend in if you have that color skin.

I'm more curious as to why they are so high-cut anyways. Why not go with a slightly more modest leg cut and not worry about it as much?? My own dds naturally wear the ones I make them and it's never a problem with their regular undies. The team leo (a GK) is so high-cut in the leg and so narrow in the crotch I was a bit taken aback by it for a 7yo - and understand why I had to pay another $15 for matching briefs.

Watching the Olympics, I was a bit put off by Team USA and their continual wedgie butts. Other countries had leos that were cut wide enough in the bottoms to actually COVER their butts, and I don't think Team USA had bigger butts than the others.... Honestly, I can't imagine doing that level (heck, ANY level!) of gymnastics with a leo riding up my butt!

Seriously - IS there a reason leos are cut so high in the leg???

My dd's old coach always liked a very high cut leg - she said it made the legs look longer which gave nicer 'lines'. I just laughed - my dd has ridiculously long legs to begin with, so with the high cut leo she just looked like a giant pair of legs out there. I agree that a more modest cut would make it easier for the girls.

I was honestly chatting about this exact subject with one of my coaches last night :) I think it would be a great idea if all leotards could have them built in, so no more worries about extra deductions.

Well, I emailed GK to ask the question. We'll see if I get an answer...

As for wearing leos without undies, my dd just won't do it. She thinks it's gross - this coming from a 7 yr old - so no puberty type issues yet. And after looking more closely at her leos, I wouldn't want to either. There is a rather large seam right in the crotch of most of her leos. That can not be comfortable in such a sensitive area. scratch scratch... ouch! LOL

alison

I forgot to add that while I don't object to the high cut style, I do think the narrow-ness of the butt and crotch area is definitely a problem - especially for larger girls whether by age or size...

DD tried on her new comp. leo from GK and it has a higher leg cur but plenty of room in the tush - almost too much. I guess the coaches wanted room to grow since she will need this one for two years.

alison

As for wearing leos without undies, my dd just won't do it. She thinks it's gross - this coming from a 7 yr old - so no puberty type issues yet. And after looking more closely at her leos, I wouldn't want to either. There is a rather large seam right in the crotch of most of her leos. That can not be comfortable in such a sensitive area. scratch scratch... ouch! LOL

I'm trying to think of where it hits though, I don't know, it's not that noticeable. Same as wearing underwear or a bathing suit. I don't think people should do anything they are not comfortable with, but most of the girls in my training groups didn't wear briefs for daily practices. If your daughter does, I would invest in some gymnastics briefs though, they are a tighter knit material than regular cotton undies. The dumb thing about all the "nude" color stuff manufactured in the leo world is that it's all beige. Doesn't seem to be any special ordering, nothing. You'd think at least 3 skin tones or something. I had to laugh in '04 when those Olympic leos with the three strappy looking things on one side with "flesh colored" inserts were all designed for a "caucasian skin tone" and well, everyone on that team was just not caucasian! Come on GK+USAG, this is the Olympics and you are special making these leos anyway, that is a little silly. Don't I pay you a membership fee or something, please do whatever it is to match the skin tone at this point.

I'm trying to think of where it hits though, I don't know, it's not that noticeable. Same as wearing underwear or a bathing suit. I don't think people should do anything they are not comfortable with, but most of the girls in my training groups didn't wear briefs for daily practices.

Swimsuits have a crotch liner in them which usually covers the seam in the crotch. Leotards (as a general rule) don't have that same liner and the seam is exposed. I would think with a few washes it wouldn't be rough or scratchy, but I could also see how a sensitive child might be bothered by a seam there.

My girls wear undies. I'd say it's hit & miss at our gym - some do, some don't. I couldn't bring myself to buy used leos though because of the underwear factor!! (yes, yes, I have issues.... LOL!!)

Y'know, it's so much easier with the boys! :D (other than the fact that my 3yo son wants a pink leo like his sisters....)

I just ordered a couple of briefs (nude and red) and got one of them on clearance. Hopefully it matches her comp. leo. For practice, she always wears regular undies. I bought her really skimpy ones but they still show sometimes. At least not like when she was 4 and all the puffinees would escape the legs. LOL too cute to watch those little ones first starting.

alison

Great idea. I think that at the very least, crotch liners like swimsuits have would be GREAT.

I was honestly chatting about this exact subject with one of my coaches last night :) I think it would be a great idea if all leotards could have them built in, so no more worries about extra deductions.

When I was a gymnast (you know....way back in the 80's) my competition leotard DID have built in briefs!! :p

When I was a gymnast (you know....way back in the 80's) my competition leotard DID have built in briefs!! :p

I second that... Mine also had the briefs built in. They were attached/sewn at the leg holes so we never had problems with them showing. It was wonderful! Those were the good old days - LOL.

On a side note: I still have my competition leos (also from the early 80's) and my 6 year old DD tried them on over the weekend. It was just too cute. One fit her great (needs some new elastic) and one was still a bit big on her. She asked it I could get the elastic redone so she can wear them to practice. My heart melted...

The leos of today are so much prettier though!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back