Hi all!! Got a kid of more than one sport

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gomommygo

Proud Parent
I just wanted to introduce myself and thank everyone... I've watched and learned so much from lurking for some time now. My DD is 11 and competes IGC silver as well as All Star cheer and actually plays J.O. softball in the summer... yes, we are nuts. I wonder if there's anyone out there that tries to juggle these sports and if so, how do or did you know when it was time to focus more on one?...DD is IMO very good in all three. However, we are seeing friends move to higher level gymnastics, compete on all star and travel teams, etc. Afraid DD will be a master of none but still having a lot of fun. I would welcome any thoughts. BTW, I feel DD loves gymnastics most of all but has been told that it's probably too late for her to progress to the USAG team and make it to the higher levels--other gymnasts, not coaches. My husband and I would be supportive in any direction our daughter wanted to move but we are having a hard time guiding her! Thanks!

Well I wouldn't base any decisions on something other gymnasts are telling your daughter. My two oldest girls both did multiple other sports while doing gymnastics, but when they got to higher levels, they had to make a choice--it's just not physically possible to do 20+ hrs per week in more than one sport and still go to school and sleep occasionally. If your DD is happy where she's at in all three and it works for your family, go with it! If she is told by a coach that she needs to put more hours in one sport or another to progress, then she'll have to make a choice.

Thanks gymmomtoo..We've been making it work- only one conflicting competition in three years. Cheer comps have been mandatory, IGC and softball are not. DD knows she's going to have to pick, especially as school demands increase. Cheer coach likes having a gymnast, both Softball and Gym coaches sort of tease DD for being a cheerleader-- but not in a mean way.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back