Summer/specialty camps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wondering if there are any summer/specialty camps that can be used to supplement our regular summer training schedule. Has anyone gone to any other venues for training other than their home club???

I am in Ontario and I don't think there is anything here. My dd has done Woodward in Pennsylvania and some have done IGC whiCh I'm not sure where that is. Sorry not much help, but I hate lonely threads, especially in our Canada section.

IGC is about an hour from Woodward. It is also in PA. Some girls from our gym have gone to Gym Rep in Quebec as well.

I would kill for a bars specific camp for DD..... Her bars are a full level behind her floor and beam IMHO. But no such beast seems to exist. And many camps group kids based on their bars so she is at a distinct disadvantage as a result.

You are so right about bars. Dd did IGC and because of that was grouped way behind her other abilities.

Having said that I don't think a week or two anywhere is going to solidify new skills in any gymnast. My dd loved the experience of two things
she loves- gymnastics and summer fun- in that regard it was well worth the trip!

Mine did GymRep and IGC and loved both, but they really are for fun and not of solidifying skills.

At IGC I also found my kid was poorly placed due to bars, our Canadian system is so different to the US one that the evaluation just did not work work. At Gymrep girls are placed by their level and are moved if that placement is too high or low.

But I found both places had heavy spotting and worked skills that the girls did not really need.

Is your issue that you club does not offer much summer training, because that was certainly my issue.

Camp is just FUN.

DD went to IGC as well. Once in 2012, and two separate weeks last year.

Last year the first week she wouldn't do her giant at tryouts. But she was working on a front tuck on the beam (not a dismount). When she went back two weeks later, they didn't make her try back out thankfully, and placed her based on her performance the first week.

I even sent a list of skills and her videos in advance. They told me you can call and discuss with them what they are working on, but it doesn't change groups or anything. For kids who go with a coach, I think they are better off as they get placed well.

But she wants to go back. It's a really fun camp in addition to the gymnastics, and like your DD @DND that is a winning combination for my kid !

Reactions: DND
I agree, my kids loved gym camp because of the fun they had, the friends they met and the fact that they got to do gym in English. The food was also great at IGC.

There is one in Alberta too. I dont know very much about it, but it is a 5-6 day camp between $500-$550 and I held by a gym that does very well.

My daughter has been to Woodward a couple of time. She had a lot of fun but now likes the College type camps. At Woodward which I am sure IGC is somewhat like that. She only had one session that was mandatory and the other two sessions she went to were whatever she wanted. So I guess you could go there and session two only do bars and session three if your hands could handle it do more bars. Or save that for something else
I am guessing IGC is somewhat the same.
I wish a bar camp was here in Toronto. That would be nice. Even 3-4 hours a day.

NO IGC you attend all the sessions they tell you too, it is a lot more rigid than Woodward, We had friends who went there and found it was way too relaxed for younger kids and they were all over the place.

IGC has a daily schedule and every group follows every rotation on sac apparatus. No opting out unless you are sick. They do lots of gym and dance. Gymrep is the same.

My daughter has only ever attended Woodward with her coaches. She went when she was 9 and 10. Plus I was camp mom both years so I was there too.
My daughter went to all three practices in some cases the third one she only stayed for 1 hour. So it was 7 hours of gym a day on most days and she still did the ropes, horse back riding, swimming, etc.
It was a blast. The bed are absolutely horrible though.

I can see young ones losing their way there if they don't have someone guiding them. But I have also heard from a friend of mine who went to IGC. Her daughter didn't show her best potential at the "try out" and then was put in a group that was not the best for her.
Thats why its always nice that your coach is there to ensure you get to the right area.

Both times my daughter went to Woodward she had very specific goals on what she wanted to get out of it.

It was good and I was happy with the whole process.

We haven't gone to Gymrep but it looks way to small for the number of kids they register.

NO IGC you attend all the sessions they tell you too, it is a lot more rigid than Woodward, We had friends who went there and found it was way too relaxed for younger kids and they were all over the place.

IGC has a daily schedule and every group follows every rotation on sac apparatus. No opting out unless you are sick. They do lots of gym and dance. Gymrep is the same.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back