Coaches Introducing clear hips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hammy1207

Coach
Judge
With all this talk of clear hip drills, I was wondering how you introduce clear hips, how you explain them, an what drills you start with. This is my first season teaching the clear hip from the beginning, and I'm looking for all the help that I can get. Thanks!

One I like at the beginning stages is to place a nice, thick mat or stack of mats under the low bar- low enough so they can do a front support and good cast on the bar without hitting their feet, but not too much lower. Have them cast-drop their shoulders back-and land in a hollow shape on their back on the mat stack. It helps with the aggressive shoulder drop that I have found to be a real struggle for lots of kids at the beginning stage.

One I like at the beginning stages is to place a nice, thick mat or stack of mats under the low bar- low enough so they can do a front support and good cast on the bar without hitting their feet, but not too much lower. Have them cast-drop their shoulders back-and land in a hollow shape on their back on the mat stack. It helps with the aggressive shoulder drop that I have found to be a real struggle for lots of kids at the beginning stage.

Sounds like a great place to start! Thank you!

I agree with CoachMolly that that is a great drill, but I didn't start using it until they had a feel for the shaping and timing. I started my kids off with a simple underswing motion, with hips off the bar, from a really baby cast, asking them to stay tight and hollow and feel when their shoulders started to rise up. We did those fairly regularly during our season. Now we've added in strap bar clear hips (I like them to a wall, shooting for 10 in a row), TT clear hips, rolls with the Forster bar and alternating the mini tramp drop drill from Geoffrey Taucer with the one CoachMolly explained. We've been working them about a week and a half and I'm happy with how they're coming
Let us know if you find any good new drills.

JAO, Jason Mortimer of BOUNCE Gymnastics has a video up on it. He also has one on his Back Hip circle program.

One of the first things I do is make sure they can do a back hip circle to high support roughly mid thigh to knee. If they can't, I'll spot those. Then I will work spotted knee circles to open with a spot.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back