WAG Potatoe chips/crips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

When I was a gymnast one time my coach took us all out to ice cream after a really good workout. Surprised the heck out of all of us since he was very strict on sweets. But everything in moderation I suppose!

Our coach does talk to the parents and gymnasts about nutrition. He lets them know what soda, sweets, and junk can do to your body. He does ahve a no soda during the season rule, and sweets are supposed to be a special occasion (the way all of us should look at it.) He wants his team to be healthy, so I think going over what is/isn't healthy, what it means to be in moderation, and what it does to you isn't outside the job duties. I do this as a preschool teacher. So, education is always a good thing.....

I don't have a problem if DD eats junk food, however, she has eaten like a teenage boy since she was a toddler. Not that she is an athlete, she has begun to feel the difference in her body when she eats junk and seems to usually steer away from junk on her own. I will admit that sometimes I stop at McDonalds just because I know she needs the calories. Kid is solid muscle.

Not to hijack the thread but isnt' there a calorie burn calculator somewhere for kids? I thought I remember seeing a thread on that but can't seem to pull it up in the search.

I always know when mine are growing - and all three are atm.

For about a month prior my grocery bill doubles, anything not moving fast gets scoffed, then they almost stop eating, get really tired and grouchy. The boys get agro and P&F gets teary, then I get to go shopping for new shoes and clothes :rolleyes:

I have no idea when mine are 'growing'. Now I feel that perhaps I should pay more attention :)

Step-daughter - could never tell, but she tended to grow a minute amount every day, but the other three do spurt

Reactions: COz
I am totally fine with coaches making healthy suggestions, but I would draw the line at any mandate outside of the gym. I think a lot about nutrition, and my kids eat a wide variety of foods - whole grain, organic, lots of veggies, etc. But I let my DD eat pretty much anything else as long as she's gotten her fill of good stuff. She is 13, all muscle, and she works out 25 hours a week - so, I don't worry about the extras at all! It would make me mad if someone, coach or otherwise, made an assumption about her overall diet based on whether or not they saw her eating chips everyday (or Chex-Mix, as the case may be).

Also - they are allowed only healthy things in their gym bag for a post meet snack, and we honor that rule.

Reactions: COz
Every single tooth I have is a sweet tooth! But I enjoyed some candy after I had finished competing or practicing, but the only thing I would eat during a meet or before practice was something relatively healthy like peanut butter and jelly on wheat bread or veggies or some kind of nuts or dried fruit.

But by the time I was 16 and 17 years old I knew what I needed to eat or not eat to get through a meet. One meet my coach forced me to eat something and then I ended up throwing up.

Wow... My coach called a girl in the team fat, and over Christmas said don't eat too much. We have have a nutritionist come and talk to the gym. We trailed healthy food and she have us meal plans... I feel better when I eat healthy

WHAT?!?! This should NEVER happen and even if someone thinks it they should never say it too a young vulnerable girl who is already got the pressures of fake media pictures making young girl sick!
Makes me angry when I hear coaches called young girls fat it should never happen!
Yeah he got yelled at ...a lot then all the coaches (including me) got the talk about body image and kids etc.

I make a conscience effort to make sure DD has a balanced diet. Fruits, veggies, whole wheat and nuts for carbs and proteins. However, I do allow her the indulgences! Homemade jelly on a peanut butter sandwich, salad dressing for veggies, cool whip for fruits, etc.

Gymom, what you wrote are not indulgences, they are making healthy food edible. Veggies always need some dressing and peanut butter is always better with mom's homemade jam (mom love in a jar). With the workouts the gymies do the occasional bag of chips or small candy bar is just fine, even if its more than occasional.

I must say some of the dietary stuff on here seems a little extreme for us. I do make everything we eat from scratch, including bread, jam etc but if I was to present mine with a box of nuts, cereals and vegies they would think I had gone mad. Lots of home cooked food, plenty of veg, meat and full fat dairy, plus ice cream, cake and chocolate reasonably regularly. But the all play multiple sports and are fit as fiddles

Gymom, what you wrote are not indulgences, they are making healthy food edible. Veggies always need some dressing and peanut butter is always better with mom's homemade jam (mom love in a jar). With the workouts the gymies do the occasional bag of chips or small candy bar is just fine, even if its more than occasional.

I heartily disagree. I believe, and luckily my kids do too, that healthy foods are edible as they come. Veggies taste fine without dressing. I agree that whipped cream and jellies are treats. My kids may work out often, but that has nothing to do with sugar being treated as a treat. Their teeth don't care if they exercise, and I don't want them to ever have a cavity, if it can be prevented. It could be because we are 80/20 paleo, but fruit alone makes a delicious dessert, or a green smoothie makes an amazing treat- and we use them as treats despite having spinach, kale, avocados and the like in them.

Yesterday I bought dd a 'skittles milkshake' - shock horror! I thought it looked like a fun treat.

We also cook pretty much everything from scratch, grow a lot of veg and buy local organic meat. I know that my kids have a very healthy diet and get all the nutrients they need, so I don't mind at all if they enjoy the odd packet of crisps. They are very rarely ill and dd has the energy and strength she needs to train hard.

I'd be quite annoyed if a coach spotted her eating crisps and made a judgement about her diet or my parenting based on that. It would be very wide of the mark. If she started to struggle to cope with her training I would seek advice myself.

My feeling is that if I restrict totally it they will only find it more attractive. Instead we are agreed that healthy most of the time means treats are allowed some of the time and that's the relationship with food I want them to have tbh.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back