WAG Recommendation for an ankle brace that keeps the ankle immobilized

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stxrdusty

Coach
Gymnast
Does anyone know of an ankle brace that keeps the ankle relatively immobilized?

From a bit of research I've found its difficult to do this with ankle braces, so I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this.

I know that taping works best, but I've gone through nearly 80 rolls of tape since January and the amount of time and money I've lost taping my ankle is starting to ware on me. I expect to have to keep taping my ankle for the rest of my gymnastics career, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

Zamst A2 DX Hinged Ankle Brace
or
ASO Flex-Hinge Ankle Brace
Either one might work for you, depending on the movement you want immobilized. They are pricier options.

Some less expensive possibilities might be:

Mueller's Maximum Support ankle brace
Walgreens Ankle Stabilizer
FUTURO Sport, Deluxe Ankle Stabilizer
Mueller Sport Care Sport Care Adjustable Ankle Support

I don't need "true" immobilization, so I use an Ace Deluxe Ankle Brace, Model 207736... and if I am having more trouble (I have a "history" of ankle sprains), I have found that FOR ME, I can use the inserts for Tiger Paws / Golden Hands inside the brace (foam ones touching the skin) for extra lateral stability. My family doctor approved of this over the splint the ER gave me - ankle was swelled enough that the splint didn't fit, so they attached the top velcro strap with TAPE (which I am allergic to). I was supposed to wear the splint until my follow up appt. I switched to the brace with additional support and took the splint with me to the Dr. appt. She said I did the right thing... I had shown her the splint- that it didn't fit... and the rash on my leg from the tape... and then showed her how I made the brace work.

Good luck.

You should take advantage of the post season, when it comes, and rehab your ankle while concentrating on bars, beam, core and other strength, flexibility, and shape awareness. All of that is valuable to your development as a gymnast.

Hmmmm, come to think of it, so is your ankle.

I use the aso ankle braces, they work better than tape considering I still rolled my ankle wearing tape, never with the brave

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back