WAG Newbie to routines- question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymkids

Proud Parent
The girls in DD's developmental group started to learn the L3 floor routine last night. Coach sent them home with copies of the first part of the routine and told them to practice (mostly just the beginning dance/leap stuff through the handstand to bridge/kickover).

I was reading through it last night and it appears that they way learned it yesterday is opposite of the way it's written (ie all the left foot stuff they did with their right and vice versa). Is this ok? Or should I mention it to the coach? I'm assuming it's fine but I don't want her to practice it and then have to reverse it. :)

Is she a righty or a lefty? The text shows righty. It can be reversed for a lefty in its entirety. The acro skills can also be reversed, i.e. you could do all righty dance and then a left roundoff. But the dance skills have to be done on the same leg.

Is she a righty or a lefty? The text shows righty. It can be reversed for a lefty in its entirety. The acro skills can also be reversed, i.e. you could do all righty dance and then a left roundoff. But the dance skills have to be done on the same leg.

She leads with her left at gymnastics and so do two of the other girls in her group (although DD is a lefty in real life and the other two are righties they all lead left in gymnastics). Not sure about the remaining two as they just joined her group. But they were all learning it the same way, in reverse.

You go a different direction depending on lefty or righty. DD was 5 when she learned the old 4 routines (she turned six shortly before she competed). Anyway, she was always going the wrong way for a while- she was still a little hazy on left and right. Plus, she is a righty in "life" but a lefty in gym. They worked the lingo for her with "good leg, bad leg" and at home for practice we used a bright scrunchy on her good leg to make sure she was leading correctly. I suggest this highly! We videoed it once in practice and then had a reference for her. :) From what I have seen learning the first routines seems so daunting for them, but the second and now third set of them has come super fast. :)

You go a different direction depending on lefty or righty. DD was 5 when she learned the old 4 routines (she turned six shortly before she competed). Anyway, she was always going the wrong way for a while- she was still a little hazy on left and right. Plus, she is a righty in "life" but a lefty in gym. They worked the lingo for her with "good leg, bad leg" and at home for practice we used a bright scrunchy on her good leg to make sure she was leading correctly. I suggest this highly! We videoed it once in practice and then had a reference for her. :) From what I have seen learning the first routines seems so daunting for them, but the second and now third set of them has come super fast. :)

Sounds like we're good. She's got it down, I think, but I was just confused once I was reading it and imagining what they had been doing at practice.

It is pretty amazing to watch them start to put routines together- makes the whole thing seem very, very real all of a sudden. And adorable. 6 year olds trying to learn those hand positions is pretty darn funny.

Not sure what you mean by doing it reverse. Lefty way is the reverse of how the text is written, but it's the correct way for lefties. For example, the beginning of left level 3 is left arm, right arm, left leg swing, plie, right leg swing.

Not sure what you mean by doing it reverse. Lefty way is the reverse of how the text is written, but it's the correct way for lefties. For example, the beginning of left level 3 is left arm, right arm, left leg swing, plie, right leg swing.
we were told it goes "around like a clock" ... as in left arm, right arm, right leg... left leg OR right arm, left arm, left leg... right leg.

Now I'm confused?!?!? Lol, looked it up... no longer confused... it does go "around the clock"

Sorry, the opposite leg swing is first. I wrote the legs for righties. Righty starts with right foot in front and does a left leg swing first. Lefty has left foot in front and does a right leg swing first...basically the back foot needs to move on both leg swings.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back