WAG Structured Adult Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SXS524

Coach
Gymnast
To all those adult gymnasts out there... how structured are your classes? While I'm at university I train at the university gymnastics club which is fairly structured and we are working towards competitions so I find myself really motivated (I love competing :p). However when I come home for the holidays I train at a club where adult classes are totally unstructured "open sessions". There's next to no coaching and no-one really competes anymore so I don't really feel like I'm improving and don't enjoy it as much. Was wondering if most adult gymnasts out there train in un-structured sessions or do you get much coaching? How do you keep yourself motivated if there isn't so much coaching?

Oh and if anyone in the UK knows of any clubs that do structured adult classes let me know ;)

It varies by club. Best thing to do is try a few and hope you come across a structured one. I've been to "open gym" style, very structured classes, and somewhere in between- structured with coaches, but once warm up is over you don't have to follow the rest of the class. It also depends on the coach, some enjoy coaching adults, some don't see the point.

Thing I find with the open gym style is it tends to be packed with boy break dancers/ parkour trying to kill themselves :). Nearly all the structured classes I've been to are a result of one of them nearly succeeding so they introduce proper coaching for insurance etc.

Where in the uk are you?

Most adult classes from what I've seen in the states (mostly Northern CA) tend to be more Open gym with a coach looking on, sometimes spotting and offering guidance.

I ran mine that was quite organized but that's because I trained with/under Roger Harrell and his adult class was set-up that way. I was less strict since I took over the class and they weren't necessarily attending for just the training (more of a blend of social+fitness activity).

Definitely agree about the parkour/freerun guys. They're crazy, and I have seen a few injuries occur although nothing serious luckily!! The gym I go to is very convenient locationwise but I'd be prepared to travel a little further afield for a more structured class :) There is a coach present but they often use the session to train themselves so it feels bad to pester them for support/help!
@Faith I'll message you if that's ok :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back