UK WAG 2014 grades results

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We've been told that the schedule isn't available yet, although I find it hard to believe that they haven't decided it with two weeks to go :rolleyes: Frustrating for anyone wanting to book a hotel to avoid an early drive.

I originally thought it was quite a good idea to allow girls who haven't passed to go to nationals this year, if they make the team, given that they have already said they might adjust the pass mark after nationals. It would be gutting for a girl to miss nationals with a score of 49 and then find they lower the pass mark.

To be honest though I think the scores have been quite good on the whole. When you look at the regions, most have had some good passes and a couple of fails - which is probably as it should be. On that basis I think anyone who scored in the forties is going to look very outclassed at nationals...Fine if they are up for it and know where they are going to finish, but a lot of pressure.

Do you not even know which day your dd is competing yet then? That does seem late.

According to the coach they are waiting confirmation and officially the schedule isn't out. According to what has been hinted amongst coaches and to some parents it's likely be level 3 on Sunday and level 4 on Saturday.

It doesn't really affect us as we're staying with friends near Worcester for the whole weekend, but it's difficult for people who are travelling.

Nothing new though!

Did your dd make the regional team then flossy? I vaguely remember you saying your club didn't send them to nationals as individuals, and even then nothing's confirmed until practically the day before...

Good luck!

Just looking at the start list and using their start numbers only it looks like there are 44 in comp 3 and 62 in comp 4 - how does this compare to past years?

Not sure why anybody would expect much of a change to the numbers in the finals as it's top 4 in each region - am I wrong there?. It will be interesting to see the results though especially how the regions compare.

Not sure why anybody would expect much of a change to the numbers in the finals as it's top 4 in each region - am I wrong there?. It will be interesting to see the results though especially how the regions compare.

No you are right about the team of 4 from each region. I think people were thinking there might be less going as individuals but there looks to be around the same. The scores have varied hugely so it will be interesting to see them all scored on the same page. The biggest difference is that girls with much lower range scores will be going to nationals because there is no pass mark. However girls will need a great score to place in the top 15 anyway.

While we are on the topic. Can I check something. I understood that under the new rules, if you took level 3, 2 or 1 out of age you still got to go to nationals (assuming you were in the top 4/qualified as an individual) but somebody recently said "there's no point taking levels OOA because you don't get to nationals" - who's right?

If you can't get to nationals, I'm left wondering what the point of Amanda changing the system was?

I was also told that there were no OOA individuals in our region. I'm beginning to think that we're a bit 'behind the times' embracing the whole OOA thing.

No you are right about the team of 4 from each region. I think people were thinking there might be less going as individuals but there looks to be around the same. The scores have varied hugely so it will be interesting to see them all scored on the same page. The biggest difference is that girls with much lower range scores will be going to nationals because there is no pass mark. However girls will need a great score to place in the top 15 anyway.
I think people were thinking there would be less girls as the difficulty level increased particularly on some pieces and with the option to do out of age some gymnasts could take their time potentially. If 4 girls in a region do not get the pass mark they can still enter those who do but they will not have a team - this has happened in some regions - they will compete for their region but I guess can not be part of team comp I am guessing - I also think this year some girls will be giving the level a go potentially as scores really varied between top and bottom end at regionals - its tough to get a good beam score with all the connections! I dont think Range is that much harder this year than last - bars is harder and beam is - even if you go clean but miss lots of connections you can end up with a low score

While we are on the topic. Can I check something. I understood that under the new rules, if you took level 3, 2 or 1 out of age you still got to go to nationals (assuming you were in the top 4/qualified as an individual) but somebody recently said "there's no point taking levels OOA because you don't get to nationals" - who's right?

If you can't get to nationals, I'm left wondering what the point of Amanda changing the system was?

I was also told that there were no OOA individuals in our region. I'm beginning to think that we're a bit 'behind the times' embracing the whole OOA thing.
You can enter Regional competition out of age for Levels but you can not qualify for National Finals unless you are in age - I believe it keeps girls in the elite path but they are just going to take a little longer?

Will also be interesting to see the voluntaries later in the year. For example you may have someone who with the increase in difficulties was just off an in age compulsory grade attempt who went down an ooa/national route but will then do in age later in the year.

I know that wouldn't affect what grade result they got and they would still be 'behind', but it would still given them a chance to remain on the radar, eligible for nationals at that higher level and eligible for the likes of the regional high performance training that has been taking place.

As long as the coaches are keeping up the same level of training for the ooa/national girls as in age girls, I see no reason they can't keep up or even catch up and overtake - particularly if an injury as been involved. And if level 1&2 grades are open ages then being ooa at level 3 (the first level you cant skip) really isn't that much of a biggie - if the training is kept up of course.

The other factor that has got to affect grades surely has to be timings. Our regions grades are at the beginning of March - other regions are up to 6 weeks later. 6 weeks is a hell of a long time to work on perfecting routines - particularly if it was just one apparatus that was struggling. who's to say that if ours weren't later more wouldn't have attempted the highest in age route?

Will also be interesting to see the voluntaries later in the year. For example you may have someone who with the increase in difficulties was just off an in age compulsory grade attempt who went down an ooa/national route but will then do in age later in the year.

I know that wouldn't affect what grade result they got and they would still be 'behind', but it would still given them a chance to remain on the radar, eligible for nationals at that higher level and eligible for the likes of the regional high performance training that has been taking place.

As long as the coaches are keeping up the same level of training for the ooa/national girls as in age girls, I see no reason they can't keep up or even catch up and overtake - particularly if an injury as been involved. And if level 1&2 grades are open ages then being ooa at level 3 (the first level you cant skip) really isn't that much of a biggie - if the training is kept up of course.

The other factor that has got to affect grades surely has to be timings. Our regions grades are at the beginning of March - other regions are up to 6 weeks later. 6 weeks is a hell of a long time to work on perfecting routines - particularly if it was just one apparatus that was struggling. who's to say that if ours weren't later more wouldn't have attempted the highest in age route?
I think that may have been a factor for some regions who had theirs much earlier as you say - but it was only allowed this year - next year that cant happen - they will all be near the same time - the pass mark wasnt too high though - but there was a big difference in scores across the board - it will be interesting to see what happens at nationals also when judges are scoring everyone together

Did Anyone get North results? think only 2 Level 3's from South Durham
I was talking to one of those mums at miss alpha and she said then there are always only the two of them in their region at that level which is tough as they don't meet any competition till nationals.

Oh that is a shame as it is nice to have competition - I guess there would have been other girls at Alpha for them to compete against which is something @Frase

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back