Parents Scratchy leos

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ollieblueeyes

Proud Parent
My dd just got a new leo made of several different pieces of fabric sewn together. It's very pretty but will not be worn because the seams will chafe. She is very particular about seams. Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I know a few mom's sew leos so hopefully dd can get some use out of this one. Thanks!

If you know your way around a sewing machine, you could add a soft lining. Use the Leo as a rudimentary pattern and attach the liner using either a cover stitch (if you have access to a cs machine) or zigzag. Sew it to the existing armholes/neck hole (making sure you go slightly inside the seams so it won't show from the outside) and attach at the side seams if the scratchy seams are only on the front.... If they are on the back as well you are better off sewing the side seams on the lining first then attach it to the inside of the Leo. Trim clean around the edges and there you go! It won't look super pretty on the inside but she will be able to wear it. You must use a lining fabric with equal stretch to the Leo fabric. :) I have had to line or semi-line a few leos for dds friends, either because of seam issues or transparency. :)

Oh yeah, my dd refuses to where anything with color blocking or that stiff shimmery material is bad too.

Rebecca's mom make super soft leos. They finish there seams really soft. This was the only brand she would wear for a while there.

She tried out a GK recently and if you get the good ones, they seem to have softer seams than a few years ago.

Ooh, and Destera has soft material and simple leos that the sensitive girls seems to like as well.

Good luck and if you decide to try and line it, make sure to tell us how it goes and whether you dd finds the lining comfortable.

:)

This happened with my DD a couple of years back. I got some iron-on hemming tape and used it to stick on some soft fabric over the scratchy seams. I think I just used some soft cotton knit fabric cut out from old clothes she had outgrown. I tried to match the colours as closely as I could. This method worked well for us but there were only small sections that bothered her, not lots of long seams all over.

I feel for you. My DD has lots of beautiful leos she won't wear because they are "scratchy". She definitely prefers the motionwear silkskyn (says they are most comfy), and I can't get her anything with lots of color/fabric changes because of the seems.

My dd is constantly saying things are scratchy and uncomfortable - she won't wear tights, trousers, anything with buttons, anything woollen (clothes shopping and getting dressed in the morning are extreme sports in our house:)) Her leotard however, with it's multiple materiels and zillions of hems, no problem. She wears a Milano leotard - either this is genius leotard making or her desire to wear a leotard overcomes her scratchy-phobia

Sigh....I think it will have to go back. She's so particular that anything I would try would probably not be enough and it would end up on the bottom of the leo stack never worn! I was debating putting fusable tape over the seams, but am concerned that it would damage the foil material. Sewing a whole liner is way beyond my capabilities!

I appreciate your thoughts though!

Sigh....I think it will have to go back. She's so particular that anything I would try would probably not be enough and it would end up on the bottom of the leo stack never worn! I was debating putting fusable tape over the seams, but am concerned that it would damage the foil material. Sewing a whole liner is way beyond my capabilities!

I appreciate your thoughts though!
have you tried gym critter? you can pick any fabric you want and she's good about letting you know if a fabric is softer or stiff etc.
Can't help you with the one you already have, though!

I am losing a 5 year battle with an annoying (but deeply loved) 9 year old. The criteria that must be met for a leo to be wearable exhaust me. No seams because seams rub. Material must be silky with no texture whatsoever. Bling? Don't you dare...unless you're an Ozone leo with your special sparkles. Then you can be blingy.

Competition season is especially fun. Her first two years of competition, I fought with her at every meet because her comp leo was one of those interlocking flame leos with lots of bling.

New leos this year and HC chose a simpler leo due to DD's textile issues. Tried it for the mock meet and after the meet, she stumbles to me Frankenstein style. I peeled it off to find welts on her skin where the blings were. Bought an underleo and that helps but she still get irritated spots on the arms where the bling is.

So I rarely even fight with her anymore on leos. I purchase each leo knowing that even though it meets all stated criteria, it's a crap shoot whether or not the child will actually wear the damn thing.

I am losing a 5 year battle with an annoying (but deeply loved) 9 year old. The criteria that must be met for a leo to be wearable exhaust me. No seams because seams rub. Material must be silky with no texture whatsoever. Bling? Don't you dare...unless you're an Ozone leo with your special sparkles. Then you can be blingy.

Competition season is especially fun. Her first two years of competition, I fought with her at every meet because her comp leo was one of those interlocking flame leos with lots of bling.

New leos this year and HC chose a simpler leo due to DD's textile issues. Tried it for the mock meet and after the meet, she stumbles to me Frankenstein style. I peeled it off to find welts on her skin where the blings were. Bought an underleo and that helps but she still get irritated spots on the arms where the bling is.

So I rarely even fight with her anymore on leos. I purchase each leo knowing that even though it meets all stated criteria, it's a crap shoot whether or not the child will actually wear the damn thing.

Sounds like we have similar DD. I have bought countless number of shoes and am now collecting leos that she has worn maybe 1/2 hr only to be tossed in the back of the closet.

I am going to try out Snowflake's Dryflex. They are simple and look to be fairly seamless. Maybe the chafing gods will smile upon me!

Mine swears by Ozone. We went to their meet this year and stocked up! Then I stumbled upon a great one by GK that she loves, no seams, no bling, soft as silk.

I can relate to the 1/2 hour leos. Mine begged me for a beautiful GK leo, swore it was comfie and she loved it and would just DIE without it. I hemmed and hawed....$65, blah blah blah. She swore she would love it forever.

A week later, I asked her to sort her leos and bring me out the duds and that child had the AUDACITY to bring that leo to me. Thankfully, she also had the intelligence to run when she saw my face.

My dd has tried many different kinds of leos and she, by far, prefers her Ozone leos because of the comfort. They can be pricey but if you sign up on their website they do offer monthly specials and once in awhile additional sales.

Mine swears by Ozone. We went to their meet this year and stocked up! Then I stumbled upon a great one by GK that she loves, no seams, no bling, soft as silk.

I can relate to the 1/2 hour leos. Mine begged me for a beautiful GK leo, swore it was comfie and she loved it and would just DIE without it. I hemmed and hawed....$65, blah blah blah. She swore she would love it forever.

A week later, I asked her to sort her leos and bring me out the duds and that child had the AUDACITY to bring that leo to me. Thankfully, she also had the intelligence to run when she saw my face.

I bet going to that meet was great!!! Our college team competed at that Invitational. My dd would have loved to be there (and me, too). I wish our gym sold Ozone leos. Sigh.

My DD doesn't have a problem with any leos, but our gym pretty much only sells Ozone leos. They're actually not as pricey as a lot of other brands I don't think. That said, I don't think Ozone fit her as well, so I only buy them when we're told, ie spirit leos.

I stumbled across this doing a search for Snowflake sizing.

I had NO idea there were so many other moms who go through this!!!
Right now I have 8 Ebay leos to put back on Ebay because there's something wrong with each one. (a couple are indeed bad sized, but, the rest? Look lovely!)
The day DD bought a leo off the rack at the gym, I jumped for joy and was nearly in tears. Going three times a week, she NEEDED more than one that she'd wear.

Now getting ready for camp in the summer, she needs 6. I almost cried. It's not the money, it's the time, energy, and disappointment. Sometimes it's as bad for her, when she REALLY wants to like a pretty one, but it scratches, etc.

At least with used ones, I offer to try and wash a few times to change how it feels. Can't do that with brand new ones...

But, now, I promised her a new GK one for making L4. I'm ordering 4, hoping and praying that ONE will work.

I'm also checking out some other brands for silky/softness. I stick with GK because we know the size. so I have to figure out another brand and size.

The worst words ever are "I think I'm growing out of this leo"!!!!

I feel you! DD has sensory processing issues and an errant tag or strand of hair hitting her face can ruin a whole day, and definitely makes a difference in her gymnastics classes. I too buy ebay leos so I don't have to get quite as frustrated when they are wrong. The gym must love it because I just donate all the castoffs. Ha ha. On a side note, DD refuses to enter the foam out because of this issue. She is rec so they use it as a reward and it's not a big deal to refuse, but someday she may have to try skills into it.

I hope your DD loves her new leo(s)!

Right? My dd is always growing. She also has issues with how a lot of them fit. Very few brands fit right on her.

FYI - Alpha Factor fits a lot like GK and they have some sales, so you can get some cheaper.

I stumbled across this doing a search for Snowflake sizing.

Now getting ready for camp in the summer, she needs 6. I almost cried. It's not the money, it's the time, energy, and disappointment. Sometimes it's as bad for her, when she REALLY wants to like a pretty one, but it scratches, etc.

At least with used ones, I offer to try and wash a few times to change how it feels. Can't do that with brand new ones...

But, now, I promised her a new GK one for making L4. I'm ordering 4, hoping and praying that ONE will work.

I'm also checking out some other brands for silky/softness. I stick with GK because we know the size. so I have to figure out another brand and size.

http://www.snowflakedesigns.com/customer-service/size-guide

In our experience, Snowflake and GK are the same size... My gymmies are AXS in both and AM in both.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back