MAG Admission to Regionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

skschlag

Staff member
Gold Membership
Proud Parent
So, we got to our regional meet thsi weekend, and decided to go watch the 9s and 10s. When we got there, we had to pay for the gymnasts to get in and watch. Is this normal???? I was shocked. One kid came in as we were standing there, and they told him he had to pay. He said he had just finished competing. They still made him pay $12 to go back in and watch the next session. I still just can't believe it. What does your region do?

I suggested to one of my son's teammates that he wear his warmup jacket. I suggested they just say "he competed yesterday, do we pay for him today?" They did that, and they allowed him to go in, but the parents had to pay again. There wasn't a two day admission like at some meets.

That is crazy about the gymnast that just finished competing!

And our admission was crazy cheap! Like $5 for adults and $3 for kids. That was really nice!!

Ours was $12 for adults, $6 for kids, weekend pass for $22. I got the pass. Kids had on warmups, but they would not let them in without paying.

Never heard of this. If your kid is a competitor, he already paid his entry fee. Even when we went to winter cup, my ds didn't have to pay to see the the national guys go.

And our admission was crazy cheap! Like $5 for adults and $3 for kids. That was really nice!!
:eek: That is awesome. None of our meets have been that affordable.

Ours is this coming weekend; but it's posted as $16/adults and $9/child. No idea if athletes will have to pay to watch other sessions.

Huh, it's more the norm around here that if it's not the gymnast's session, they pay as well, though sometimes a person working the desk will look the other way if the gymnast flashes big puppy dog eyes and says he reeeeaaallly wants to see his teammates compete. At states we were supposed to pay for DS to come in and watch the optionals, but I think they let him in for free because they felt bad they had run out of programs.

I think we paid $15 per person to watch DS's regionals session; I paid for multiple sessions because we stayed to watch half of the next one. They didn't charge DS to stay though.

Never had to pay to get back into meets (I'm a gymnast) have done it many times did it this regionals actually. The level 10s were after me and I always like watching so I just walked right in. They sometimes question but when they do usually I'm like I just competed last session I just want to watch for a bit and since my mom still has the bracelet and/or marking on her hand she says I already payed.

Never had an issue I've done it in many different states so yea to answer your question

That's odd

The fact that parents in the US have to pay boggles my mind. We do not pay a penny to watch our kids compete. we pay the meet fees and that is all. Plus our meet safe help in venues not in some clubs own gym.

We pay to watch International and National meets. But then it is usually less than $15.

It is all a money grab.

I think it's fair to pay to get in to the meet but gymnasts should get into other sessions free. Have only been to one meet (in Texas) where we had to pay for the girls.

But you do pay meet fees of about $100 per child to compete? That is a huge amount to me. If they use their own gym, which seems common in the US, they just have to pay for judges and awards?

I pay meet fees of $85-100 for DD to compete. It would really burn my cookies to pay an admission fee for her for a different session for her to watch her team mates.

For me, I am far less grumpy about paying extra for my gymnast to go to watch a different session at states or regionals because it benefits the state/regional program rather than an individual gym. I'd happily pay a more than nominal surcharge at every boys' meet to support upper level men's gymnastics more broadly (not, mind you, to buy one of our competitor gyms a brand spanking new pommel horse).

But you do pay meet fees of about $100 per child to compete? That is a huge amount to me. If they use their own gym, which seems common in the US, they just have to pay for judges and awards?

Only tiny, non-invitational meets are held in a gym's actual gym. If you're paying a $100 meet fee here, they are held at a large venue - colleges, for example, which the host gym needs to rent.

Interesting. I know L9-10 regionals here were held in a convention center. States for certain levels are held at colleges or public school gymnasiums, but never an individual gym's gym (although that does happen for boys' states).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back