IDP to NDP

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

COz

Proud Parent
Does anyone have experience with being bumped from IDP to NDP?
How was the transition? At what age/level?
Were there difficulties with training with older girls?
Anything else that might be useful for us to know about?
Thanks!

It is very common, once it becomes clear that a child is not going to succeed in IDP they are crossed over to NDP. This can be for a multitude of reasons.

But the general rule for cross over is

IDP 2=NDP 4
IDP 3 = NDP 5
IDP 5 = NDP 6
IDP 6 = NDP 7
IDP 8 = NDP 9
IDP 10= NDP 10

Reactions: COz
Thanks. It's interesting to see those levels.

I'm particularly interested in hearing how parents felt the swap went, particularly at the lower levels.

It looks like (not claiming to really know what I'm talking about here) NDP girls do a lot more skills wise than IDP at the lower levels so I was wondering if the girls found it hard to catch up or if they tend to pick these up fairly easily etc.

@sally , in another thread you mentioned that your daughter found NDP boring after IDP.
Was that because she was used to more difficult skills? More intense conditioning? Or simply a different philosophy?
Do you think there was anything that could have been done so she didn't lose interest after the transition?

In some ways it is difficult and in some ways easier.

Bars is often a challenge as IDP do not use the uneven bars set. They use the straps bar in the lower levels and a single wooden high bar in the higher levels. So many have never done any sorts of bar transitions before.

But in general an IDP gymnasts tends to take quite well to the NDP Priam, they usually have superior strength and flexibility and are highly agile and coordinated gymnasts. They pick up the changes.

But I definitely would not say that the IDP girls do less skill wise than NDP. The IDP routines are significantly more difficult skill wise than NDP. On top of this IDP gymnasts complete the IDEAL skill training where they have to complete very advanced skills on every apparatus at a very young age.

Reactions: COz
@sally , in another thread you mentioned that your daughter found NDP boring after IDP.
Was that because she was used to more difficult skills? More intense conditioning? Or simply a different philosophy?
Do you think there was anything that could have been done so she didn't lose interest after the transition?
I think the problem was due to a number reasons. The main reason was the mix of skill level. She had very high skills in floor and beam but bars was her down side like what Aussie Coach had said. The other problem is that she was so used to learning lots of skills fast that she found going back to NDP boring as the progress was slower due to the fact they spent more time learning routines which means learning less skills, but also having to go back in levels so she could catch up on bars so she could compete. I think for her maybe having her in a higher level not for age but skill wise may have had been better for her but not let her compete until she had her bars up to scratch may have helped because she was still getting her challenge. I am not really sure though. She just said to me that she didn't learn anything and basically had to wait for everybody else to catch up which she didn't like.
My daughter loves challenge she thrives on it and she stopped getting it in NDP hence why she moved into acro and dance, but now only dance. Dance have been really good with her really challenging her and she is thriving so well to the point that they are skipping her a grade in her ballet. She is doing very well in it apart from a few things that needs to change from gym

Thanks @sally, that's kind of what I've heard.
I don't know if it's better or worse with the age difference when they change from IDP to NDP, but it's certainly something that the parents at our gym have discussed and are wondering/worrying about.

Again I guess it depends on the gym how it is managed, but it seems unless there is a good plan set up for the transition that there is quite a high chance of potential problems.

Yes I think the same. It has taken me a while to "get over it" as she had a lot of potential in gymnastics and was kinda of my fault that I pulled her out because of the hrs but thinking she would have an easy transition back to NDP, didn't quite work out though . She did go back to IDP last year and doing IDP5 and was doing really well, but dance had taken over her passion so she had to choose this year. I guess the up side is dance makes money lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back