WAG 18hrs vs 24hrs/week

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Rapunzel

Proud Parent
I know there's a lot of threads on here about how many hours gymnasts do, and I wasn't sure where to post this.
At elite level is does the curve of ability level off at a certain number of hours? Can too many hours cause a young gymnast to burn out? Is there a benefit of someone doing 24hrs a week versus someone doing say 18?
My DDs are nowhere near this level and its not something I need to worry about (at all) but I'm happy that they are always hungry for more and they're counting down the time to the next session. Does it get to the point where they're not?

I think each child will reach the max they can handle at some point - and it will likely be different for each child. And of course can change as the child gets older.

At the elite level you would rarely find a gymnast doing as few hours as 18, let alone 24. 30-36 would be more the norm.

A gymnast's weekly hour should be a reflection of their need for more time and ability to finish the week without collapsing.

And.... No, a level 4,5, or 6 doesn't need 24 hours a week. Maybe a level 7 could handle and benefit from that schedule, but that would apply to L7 kids who want to keep their L10 (yeah sure maybe elite track L7 and L8) motor running for a quick getaway.

I agree with @my4buffaloes that each kid will have their own limit.

I know mine has hit hers at 25 hours, which she started at the beginning of this year. If her coaches suggested more right now she could not handle it. Perhaps in a couple of years' time that will change, but who knows.

She is training the equivalent of L9.

I'm in the UK so I'm not sure on the levels.
I know of a girl who was on 21hrs a week at 9, she quit - would she have been better on say 18hrs?
And to be honest I don't know how many hours it maxes out at in the UK - I'm guessing 24-26hrs but perhaps it is more.

The uk is very different, as girls who are identified for the elite track start with high hours very early. 18 hours a week for a 6 year old aiming for uk level 4 in 18 months isn't unusual. Which then only increases. Elite path kids are usually on around 25 hours from 9 ish.

Personally I do think it's too much, too young. We select too few to start- less than 100 level 4's at 9 yo, and that field is going to narrow dramatically to 30 by 11. I think it was flossy who said once you get on the elite track, it's last one standing....

I also think clubs/coaches are too inflexible. Most talented kid I've seen in a long time was coping easily on 9 hours a week. They wanted to double her hours, so the kid quit, age 8. I don't see why they couldn't have maybe compromised for a little while until she was a little more mature.

I agree, for the early compulsories a talented kid can get by on lower hours. I suppose though they won't be as competitive against the kids that are doing the hours. But clubs want kids winning, and selected for national squads. I do find it interesting though that many of our senior elites like beth tweddle weren't even top 10 as compulsory gymnasts. To me it makes more sense to lower the hours rather than let talented kids quit.

My dd is doing less than 18 hours a week but she still managed to do very well at her compulsory 4 competition and is on the team going to nationals. I know she isn't going to do as well as the girls on higher hours and she would like more hours but I still think she has done well to get to nationals on under 18 hours.

The uk is very different, as girls who are identified for the elite track start with high hours very early. 18 hours a week for a 6 year old aiming for uk level 4 in 18 months isn't unusual. Which then only increases. Elite path kids are usually on around 25 hours from 9 ish.

18 hours for a 6 year old would be unusual round here. As would 25 for compulsory 4. It probably depends on the region. Round here I would say it is more like 10 for a 6 year old. , 15 for compulsory 5 and 18 for compulsory 4.

I think it depends on the club too- some like to have kid in the top 10- notts, park, Liverpool etc do the high hours. If rapunzel is talking about who I think she is it will have been one of the big name clubs.

Dd at 8yo was on 18 hours to stay competitive just at regional ooa level here. Elite track do more. That's probably why the numbers are so low.

It's a bit marginal gains though isn't it- if a kid wins at compulsory by doing more hours than everyone else, how do they keep the advantage later when the others start putting in the hours too.

Well you can't keep adding hours indefinitely and then the kids who started on lower hours start to come through. I have seen kids used to winning get despondent and give up because kids they used to beat come past them. You also get much more burn out on high hours. It is about pacing and goals. Is your goal long term success or short term flash. Both are valid in their own way.

Nothing wrong with a kid excelling for a few years on maximum hours and then going to another sport.

In my experience, the only ones that make it over 24 are elites and homeschool kids. Other than that all kids and levels are different. Some kids do better on less and vice versa.

The notts girls at level 4 didn't score as high as I thought they would considering they do more hours than my daughter and she scored higher than the winner but I suppose that could be down to different judges in different regions. Will have to wait to nationals to properly compare results as everyone will have the same judges.

I think it depends on the club too- some like to have kid in the top 10- notts, park, Liverpool etc do the high hours. If rapunzel is talking about who I think she is it will have been one of the big name clubs.

Dd at 8yo was on 18 hours to stay competitive just at regional ooa level here. Elite track do more. That's probably why the numbers are so low.

It's a bit marginal gains though isn't it- if a kid wins at compulsory by doing more hours than everyone else, how do they keep the advantage later when the others start putting in the hours too.
My dd does 12 hours will be doing ooa regional this year like yours did faith, we are too in a very competitive region and I know most other clubs do 18ish hours for this level. My dd can't do as much difficulty skill wise but what she does do well form wise and her execution scores are all very high which helps her to medal (well last year )
If she did more hours would she eventually end up plateauxing at the same level eventually anyway, she would just get there a lot quicker if so would there be any point? Would it be beneficial for her to get there any quicker ? Why do you need to do so many hours ?
I am talking about competitive gymnasts not pre elite sorry I know I'm going a bit off topic !

The notts girls at level 4 didn't score as high as I thought they would considering they do more hours than my daughter and she scored higher than the winner but I suppose that could be down to different judges in different regions. Will have to wait to nationals to properly compare results as everyone will have the same judges.

I think Notts are in a tiny region with very few other clubs. I get the impression they really step it up for nationals. I think nationals will be so interesting this year.

I think there are gymnast and levels that require certain hours. I think that when kids are too young doing great numbers of hours they have the potential for burn out quickly.
My daughter does 25 hours now and likely to go up shortly. She is training at l10 in the USA and novice in canada. I think the increase hours may include different things then she is doing now. More focus on release moves. Trampoline and tumbling into pit only. Dedicated time on dismounts. I don't see the extra hours being split up amongst the four apparatus

Depending on the maturity of the gymnast, level and future goals will depend on the hours.

Once you go above 21/22 hours the HC start putting pressure for your child to miss school to train that's a major commitment for a 8/9 year old. In the uk they have made the elite levels harder so now for level 5 which includes giants for a 7/8 year old 18 rather than 15 hours is becoming the norm. Level 4 is 21/22 hours+ for 8/9 year old elite.

I think Notts are in a tiny region with very few other clubs. I get the impression they really step it up for nationals. I think nationals will be so interesting this year.
I watched this comp as DD may do comp 5 next year, our region really is tiny with Notts being the only big name, a lot of the judges are just club judges so will be interesting to see how differently they score at nationals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back