WAG Piked tsuk drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
Once my nose/cheekbone have healed & I'm allowed to start training for real, my coach wants me to do piked tsuk instead of tuck to avoid aforementioned injury.

Getting good height was something I struggled with tucked tsuk, and where pike rotates slower I know it will need even more height to get all the way around.

Any drills?

At least in DD's gym, nobody starts working on piked anythings until they have solid tucked vaults. As the girls are learning, the coach does a lot of hands on spotting to help with the height/rotation issues. Can your coach spot you?

At least in DD's gym, nobody starts working on piked anythings until they have solid tucked vaults. As the girls are learning, the coach does a lot of hands on spotting to help with the height/rotation issues. Can your coach spot you?

I broke my nose and fractured my cheekbone doing tucked tsuk (knee to the face) so my coach wants me to do piked tsuk to avoid that. I can flip the tucked tsuk to my feet, I just want it to have a bit more height so my pikes are good.

I certainly have the power to do it just need a little more work on technique- tsuk is fairly new to me.

Coach CAN spot me but won't, so I'm basically on my own!

I saw the other thread -- sorry that happened to you! And it's so impressive that you're willing to get back on that particular horse. I'm just not sure about trying a harder vault because you nearly killed yourself doing the tuck, especially if you need more height. I really hope you're working these into a pit! And I wish your coach were willing to spot you for a bunch more tucks. :(

I saw the other thread -- sorry that happened to you! And it's so impressive that you're willing to get back on that particular horse. I'm just not sure about trying a harder vault because you nearly killed yourself doing the tuck, especially if you need more height. I really hope you're working these into a pit! And I wish your coach were willing to spot you for a bunch more tucks. :(
No pit at our tiny gym! Height really is fine for tuck but just want to be on the safe side for pike :) I do flip the pike myself on to two 8" mats, but I always want everything HIGHER/FASTER/CRAZIER.

Piked tsuks are easier for some than they are for others, but I've always taken kids through the tucked tsuk first because I want them to know how to move through every skill they can reasonably do. It's kind of a back ground thing for me, but there are some who's natural strengths make it easier to make the pike.

I'm not comfortable with the idea that this will solve your problem, so talk it through with your coach and commit to it only when you're sure of your ability to make it safely to your feet...... with legs that are ready to absorb the landing and a body that's ready to tension properly for the landing.

Piked tsuks are easier for some than they are for others, but I've always taken kids through the tucked tsuk first because I want them to know how to move through every skill they can reasonably do. It's kind of a back ground thing for me, but there are some who's natural strengths make it easier to make the pike.

I'm not comfortable with the idea that this will solve your problem, so talk it through with your coach and commit to it only when you're sure of your ability to make it safely to your feet...... with legs that are ready to absorb the landing and a body that's ready to tension properly for the landing.
I do concidentally find it easier! Also figured out how to push off better so height is now a non-issue :)

Wait, did you knee yourself on the landing, or while flipping? Do you grab on top or behind your knees? I'm just trying to get a better sense of this.

Overall I don't think the situation you're working with is safe, so I can't recommend learning a pike tsuk. Handspring twisting would probably be a better route to explore under these circumstances.

Wait, did you knee yourself on the landing, or while flipping? Do you grab on top or behind your knees? I'm just trying to get a better sense of this.

Overall I don't think the situation you're working with is safe, so I can't recommend learning a pike tsuk. Handspring twisting would probably be a better route to explore under these circumstances.
Hit myself whilst flipping. I turned the pike over very nicely on Tuesday! ;) (thank God!)

Huh. I've just never come close to kneeing myself while flipping backwards except on timers (and I once gave myself a black eye intentionally doing a timer and rolling, but it wasn't that bad. Just a slight bruise), so I've never really thought of it.

Just be careful...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back