Coaches Coaching other coaches kids behind their back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

Bumblebee462

Just curious ... do u guys think its disrespectful when another coach tries to coach the kids you coach outside of practice ... I find it upseting when im busting my butt working with certain kids in my group and I see this one coach working with one of the kids in my group on their day off when im with other kids. I follow a coaches etiquette system. I respect the hard work and effort other coaches put into their kids. Am im wrong for being upset ...

Well, So long as you are telling them the same thing it shouldn't matter. It's natural to get protective over your kid by the way. The program that I run is based on a 2 coach per event system. We have a majority coach and a secondary coach. I absolutely am opposed to one coach being on one group the entire time. We are a team and the kids need to work with different coaches and the coaches need to learn the same... :)

Well obviously this is taken out of context ... its not about coaches not being able to work together ... figures someone would look for the negative.

Yes, I get upset at this. We have one young coach who tries to become best friends with a couple in my group, and it creates a situation where they don't always trust what I'm saying, if it differs from the other coach. But I do agree that one coach per group isn't usually better than event coaches, even if I have liked having control this past year.

Well, So long as you are telling them the same thing it shouldn't matter. It's natural to get protective over your kid by the way. The program that I run is based on a 2 coach per event system. We have a majority coach and a secondary coach. I absolutely am opposed to one coach being on one group the entire time. We are a team and the kids need to work with different coaches and the coaches need to learn the same... :)

I take your point and obviously that is a good system that works, but I think he said 'outside of practice' and said they weren't telling them the same thing. I can see that being a little frustrating!

Well obviously this is taken out of context ... its not about coaches not being able to work together ... figures someone would look for the negative.
Then explain, I wasn't being negative, this is a common problem , and if one or both are not on the same page then it creates big problems. But honestly if you are upset and the subject matter that I referenced isn't the case then what exactly is bugging you?

My sense of etiquette begins and ends with doing what works best for the kids.

This is a complicated situation that can swing one way or the other depending on circumstances. Possibly your reaction to coachp's post is part of the problem. You asked if you were wrong for being upset, and he simply stated his opinion about being opposed to one coach being the "only one" to work with a group of kids. I really think his point is that kids come in all mental shapes and sizes that can't be properly tweaked (for the child's benefit) by any one coach.........

So you play the "negative" card????

" its not about coaches not being able to work together ... figures someone would look for the negative....."

Maybe this is more about working with other coaches than it appears? You gotta admit that when two coaches spend some time together that one thing almost always happens. One, or both, learns a little bit from from the other.

None of us is the complete package. Those coaches who think they are will often prove themselves wrong and end up wishing they'd accepted help from others and been better at building bridges with other coaches.

So unless you're all that and a bag of chips you should approach this coach, offer a reserved "thanks" for their help, and ask them what they've offered to the kid. If they answer (in essence) that they were filling in a few gaps that you'd over looked, then maybe you should spend your time finding out what this coach knows that you maybe don't.

The point is, you and I both have discovered things we were doing that didn't work as well as other things. We then tossed the old thing out and started using the new thing, but doesn't it seem ironic that up to your most recent discovery discovery you believed the "old thing" to be the best thing?

Don't let what *you know* prevent you from learning from others as well as from yourself.

i can't go in to coach today until someone clears my brain on all this. :) confused is an understatement....

We coach as a team with different coaches primarily working on different events, but a lot of mixing it up. The goal is for our kids to do as well as they can. If a different coach can help a kid out with something that I am struggling to help them get, fabulous!

It's one thing if you are explaining a situation with kids/coaches from a different gym. Then there would be that gym loyalty and coaching philosophy issue. But at both the gyms I have worked at it is normal (and encouraged) to give a pointer to another gymnast if you see something that might help them, as well as coach private lessons with any kid/skill you feel comfortable coaching.

Case in point: The level 4s have one coach on bars most of the time. I help out once a week. Another coach helps out once a week. I am doing a private with one of the level 4s this weekend to work on her kip. Sometimes gymnasts need to hear different things or hear it in different ways.

smiley-face-popcorn.gif

A lot depends on the circumstamces. As others have pointed out there may be situations where this is a very good thing for all involved, but there are also situations where it can be downright dangerous.

One big question, is the coach in question qualified and experienced enough to be coaching the skills they are coaching? Does the coach have enough awareness and experience with the gymnast to be able to tell when a problem is likely to occur or to know if they are a gymnast who for example has a tendency to pull put of skills.

Are they respecting the coaching process? Perhaps you have just started doing drills for a new skill. Hopefully they are not seeing that and deciding to teach them the whole skill without going through the correct process.

Is this coach familiar enough with the gymnast and the coaching plan to know the developmental plan, know the gymnasts strength level and know where they are supposed to be at skill wise.

Was it initiated by the coach or was it the gymnast saying " coach x won't let me do the flyaway yet, will you teach me".

Im talking to "iwannacoach!!"!! Jerk!
Talking to.... but probably not listening. If you think the other coach in this situation has nothing to contribute, then you should flat out walk up to that person and tell them the kids are yours and to mind their own business.

Somehow I get the impression you can do that sort of thing quite well.

First of all obviously from this long not necessary msg i can see where your attitude is *** wipe ... you dont know me ... i ask questions just to hear how other coaches deal with situations in the gym with me or someone else .... i am never so close minded i can't learn from others ... so if u can be normal and just reply with out answering like your some super coach ... don't answer *** hole
=
I don't think that is appropriate at all. No reason to throw names around when you can simply hit the ignore button. which I have just done to you.

I am totally missing something in this thread. Did the OP go back and edit their posts, because the stuff that is quoted by other, helpful, members is totally ban worthy?

Please clue me in.

Post by OP that has gone missing was totally banworthy, very rude, completely inappropriate and was almost definitely not made by a gymnastics coach.

I rarely log in but am so surprised this member still has an active account after that post so felt I had to comment.

Eh. There are a lot of young coaches in the industry that may have responded to what they perceive as criticism in such a manner. I wouldn't go so far as to say that the person isn't a coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back