WAG Nail polish?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

pamred4

Coach
Gymnast
So I got my fingernails painted with jell French tips and the lady said they will stay on for about 4 weeks. I have a comp in 3 weeks and was wondering if I could keep them on or would I have to get them taken of and then put back on. Te only reason I have them painted is because when I coach, I tend to poke the little kids evan when my nails are shorter than my fingers (apparently my nails are naturally sharp) and the coach suggested to get them painted with jell. Oh by the way I'm Australian and I will be competing another level 4 season *sigh*
ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1397968889.765550.jpg

Yeah, I think I'll check with the Hc just to make sure our gym doesn't have any rules about it. But it might do my nails good to breath for a little bit... Hmmm

Why would you not be able to? I always paint my nails to match my Leo (and it's blue and green, so there's no mistaking that my nails are painted!) and nobody has said anything to me about it! Is this an Australian thing? Do they allow you to wear makeup?

Why would you not be able to? I always paint my nails to match my Leo (and it's blue and green, so there's no mistaking that my nails are painted!) and nobody has said anything to me about it! Is this an Australian thing? Do they allow you to wear makeup?
This makes me curious... I thought the rule was no nail polish. We are allowed to wear makeup but not
Many people do... Ahh can't wait to go back to gym with all these questions! They are gonna love me :)

Margo, I think it might vary by region actually - a friend of mine who used to compete in Nottingham but now competes with me was really surprised that we are allowed to wear shorts at pretty much all levels and that nail polish and stuff was allowed - I was just surprised that judges (or someone else?) might get antsy about French Polish!

There is nothing in the NSW handbook about nail polish, just no jewellery other than small stud earrings and any taping must be beige. (and the usual about leotards)
I don't see anyone seeing that they are painted from the judges table anyway.

We are in the US, no nail polish allowed at meets. I'm not sure if it's a gym rule or actual rule but it really doesn't matter since the gym enforces it. :) I've actually helped remove nail polish from dds teammates at the meet before warmups..!

At my gym, we have always been told no nail polish. But recently I learned that it was just a preference of my gym. Some judges might not like it, so better to not risk losing a tenth over something that could be prevented. Although I would be surprised if you got in trouble for wearing polish like that, as it is very natural-looking.

The University of Nebraska women's team wanted to wear nail polish. Their male coach was joking with them and said that if they made Super Six they could wear nail polish and he would too. The team did make Super Six above UCLA and Utah among others. He lived up to his word and let the team paint his nails red. It is on the U of N women's gym twitter.

As stated above nothing here in Australia either, wonder if its more of a myth from some gyms?

USAG has no rules regarding nail polish so a judge can't take a deduction for inappropriate attire. Usually it is a gym policy.

Huh - never realized that! I strongly suspect that the coaches enjoy letting us parents run with our assumptions that it IS a rule...wonder if other "rules" don't actually exist? No undergarments peeking out? Hair in specific buns? No swimming before a meet...lol?

Huh - never realized that! I strongly suspect that the coaches enjoy letting us parents run with our assumptions that it IS a rule...wonder if other "rules" don't actually exist? No undergarments peeking out? Hair in specific buns? No swimming before a meet...lol?
Yes yes yes YES! Can someone crack our myths?

I remember having a slight panic just before dd's last comp because she had been at a pamper party and we remembered she had nail polish on just before we set off. I looked on the internet and found something in some set of rules which definitely said no nail polish and we had to stop at a chemists on the way and buy remover. When we got there, some girls were wearing polish, and I figured that judges probably wouldn't deduct, but didn't think it was worth taking the chance and the remover will stay in the car.

When I saw this thread I tried to find what it was I read and I can't. Typical! There is nothing in the FIG code of points which refers to nail polish and nothing in the women's technical handbook. But I definitely read it somewhere...

I've always been told 'no nail polish' for competitions.

And apparently, I hear that here in the UK there is a new rule about no make-up being allowed in a competition! Anyone know anything about this? I also heard that you aren't allowed all/certain types of hair gel because it can make the beam slippery (this might've only been certain competitions). Has anyone else heard about this?

P&F very rarely wears any make up (allergy issues and she is only 10), but she does occasionally wear a bit of eye glitter. Not heard this but it doesn't surprise me

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back