WAG Potatoe chips/crips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yesterday I bought dd a 'skittles milkshake' - shock horror! ....
I'd be quite annoyed if a coach spotted her eating crisps and made a judgement about her diet or my parenting based on that. It would be very wide of the mark. If she started to struggle to cope with her training I would seek advice myself.
h.

^^^^Yup^^^^ :)

the trouble with the healthy eating message is that, the way its delivered, is those that are already concerned make good choices, those who aren't concerned aren't concerned. The only way that will change is by personal interventions like Hugh F-W did, and that wont happen as its too costly.

Even the phrase "healthy foods" bugs me. Very few food are totally unhealthy or totally healthy. It depends on the person's needs in general and at the time of eating.

I got the flu last summer and didn't eat for two days. When a friend dropped off dinner for me I was craving chips and apple juice. Clearly my body needed sugar and salt. I don't usually recommend chips and juice for a meal but it was one of the best ones I have ever eaten. If a child needs calories and calcium then ice cream is a healthy choice for that child. If a celiac wants a piece of bread that is not a healthy choice. I went to a camp with sick teens. Some were told not to be a "fluid abuser". What is fluid abuse for a child with kidney problems? Drinking too much water. Water is considered a healthy choice, except when its not. So unless someone has a degree in nutrition and has discussed specifics with a child they should not give any specific diet advice.

This hits a major sore spot with me after dealing with health issues of several family members that were on very specific and unusual diet restrictions for the past few years and dealing with my own weight issues.

" Lol my son got a small chocolate bar from the coach for being the first to get a muscle up on p bars. "

I've given out my share of chocolate bars for girls getting their first kip. I know a few other girls that got trips to 31Flavors Ice cream that was across the street for doing a MU on rings. One of my lil guys asked for a quart or two of Ice cream for his first bar kip and I heard he demolished it under a week and his mom found him sneaking Ice cream when he could.

Yes, ideally every athlete would only eat healthy stuff but if your strong and your lean, it's alright to cheat a bit. If your weak and fat, well maybe you shouldn't eat the ice cream/cake/bad snack/sugar/chocolate/candy/etc.

OK, MAYBE NOT AS MUCH BAD STUFF. Or go for it. :confused:

On our project StrengthSessions, we had one of the lifters pose showing off his 6 pack with a box of donuts that he liked to destroy on Wednesdays. Scott Hisaka is more than well known for his physique pics to go along when he's demolishing cakes with his shirt off (which he tends to never wear anyways).

It's not the end of the world, people.

There is one caveat. It can be tough on athletes once they've retired to lose the ability to eat some junk and still stay in training shape. Mainly because they are longer training the way they used to where they actually just needed calories to stay alive.

I remember Emelia Eberle telling me that after she retired she relished the thought of eating cake and chocolates.

Last edited by a moderator:
BlairBob- that is just the wrong attitude that sets people's teeth on edge. If you're fat you shouldn't eat junk? But if your strong you should? Who decides who is too fat? You? Not okay.

Everything in moderation..... With my daughter I worry more about that the right things are going in, if she eats a few unhealthy items it's fine as long as all the good stuff goes in first... And generally we all need to eat less processed food, whether skinny, curvy or in between.

I don't think BlairBob was meaning to do this at all, but I do sometimes think "fat haters" are strange, and it makes me feel like they have some deeper personality issues where they need to hate on someone else.

The healthiest "fanatic" eater in my work group kind of hates on heavier people. Why? They make her look better, I think she just enjoys hating on people, which has nothing to do with food. She would be bummed if there were no heavier/less fanatical people to look down upon. By the way she licks her fingers when she eats, and when she goes through papers. That absolutely makes my skin crawl!!!!! She is the one with the unhealthy habit that is most adversely impacting everyone around her. Lick lick then touching her germs everywhere she goes...... Eeeewwwwwww!!! Sharing all her germs. It grosses me out. But I have never said a word. Though I did once pass her a napkin which she didn't use to its full potential.

We garden, we raise chickens and have done turkeys, we try to stick with organic as much as possible. We try to have home cooked meals regularly, and snacks in the house include lots of fruit/veggie, nuts, etc....

and the kids will demolish the homemade (with extra eggs, less sugar, etc...) cookies faster than they appear, love the weekly fast food I still get because with working and 2 gyms, 2 orchestras, etc - well, at least one night a week I cave....

DS's old coach gave soda and pizza parties occ for new skills....DD coach does candy after at least one meet a year. Snacks are expected to be healthy at gym, but the coach continually has to remind parents, and DD often ends up eating someone elses "fruit" snacks, or questionable cereal bar versus her apples and peanut butter....

Last night (a late night for us) DD asked for top ramon for dinner - I said no because its junk and there are other choices. She told me "my friends eat it all the time..." We compromised with TR plus broccoli and hard boiled egg and milk...not ideal, but could be worse! Of course, I shouldn't have bought the stuff in the first place!

Frankly, I think the kids need plenty of re-enforcement of what is good for their bodies, but I also think its much more critical that they have a healthy sense of food being both for nutrition and pleasure (cuz it is you know!) and moderation in all....that will take them into adulthood healthier than never allowing a bag of chips.

If you're fat you shouldn't eat junk? But if your strong you should? Who decides who is too fat? You? Not okay.

I'm not saying that even if you are STRONG and LEAN that YOU CAN or SHOULD. Nor am I saying that if you OVERWEIGHT or carrying extra body fat that you SHOULDN'T.

Nor did I say who is and who isn't FAT.

I probably should have been a bit nicer. I edited the post a bit.

PEOPLE can eat whatever the heck they WANT.

Even the phrase "healthy foods" bugs me. Very few food are totally unhealthy or totally healthy. It depends on the person's needs in general and at the time of eating.

I got the flu last summer and didn't eat for two days. When a friend dropped off dinner for me I was craving chips and apple juice. Clearly my body needed sugar and salt. I don't usually recommend chips and juice for a meal but it was one of the best ones I have ever eaten. If a child needs calories and calcium then ice cream is a healthy choice for that child. If a celiac wants a piece of bread that is not a healthy choice. I went to a camp with sick teens. Some were told not to be a "fluid abuser". What is fluid abuse for a child with kidney problems? Drinking too much water. Water is considered a healthy choice, except when its not. So unless someone has a degree in nutrition and has discussed specifics with a child they should not give any specific diet advice.

This hits a major sore spot with me after dealing with health issues of several family members that were on very specific and unusual diet restrictions for the past few years and dealing with my own weight issues.

This is a great post that needs to be repeated in this thread.

I always talk about healthy eating...in fact...I just did the blazin' challenge at BW3's for the booster club the other day! I'm wearing the shirt right now.

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1397965841.214453.jpg

I'm not saying that even if you are STRONG and LEAN that YOU CAN or SHOULD. Nor am I saying that if you OVERWEIGHT or carrying extra body fat that you SHOULDN'T.

Nor did I say who is and who isn't FAT.

I probably should have been a bit nicer. I edited the post a bit.

PEOPLE can eat whatever the heck they WANT.
I admit that I am fat... always have been, but I was also an athlete (while fat) - All Star in Baseball with the boys, Pee Wee Football with the boys, basketball, volleyball, gymnastics, track (shot put and discus), and softball in high school. I also regularly roller skated, and I continued recreationally with all of these sports throughout college.
I have been on diets in my life:
2nd grade - 600 Calorie diet
4th-5th grade - 1200 Calorie diet
7th-8th grade (18 months) - 1000 Calorie diet + prescription Speed... bad idea, gained 107 lbs in 9 months when i was finally taken off. Stupid Doctor.
Various diets since then.
I have now learned what works best for me and am back on the right track - and ice cream actually helps.

I've brought up my DD in a way that I've taught her to make her own decisions about food. When she was younger, we obviously guided her to choose healthier food (but not stating things like "they're better for you") but now, she chooses it herself.

She knows to eat what her body is asking for, eg some days she just wants tomatoes and rice cakes, others she does want chicken nuggets and ice cream.

She's very intuitive now with her food, and can tell if she's feeling run down or becoming ill just by her food choices, so she makes adjustments to help her get better.

If anyone commented about her diet, she'd probably just laugh at them to be honest. She's happy, she's healthy, and she's able to do whatever activities she wants to do, so whose to say she's eating wrong?

@txgmyfan I'm SO with you. I think I've said this before in another thread but there is NO SUCH THING as a 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' food. There is only healthy or unhealthy FOR YOU. this hit home for me when I was teaching in Uganda, and butter is advertised as a health food, because most people's primary health need is to gain weight. Here in the uk (and I dare say in the US) lettuce and rice cakes are advertised as health foods, because lots of people are trying to lose weight.

It is a fact that being severely underweight has much more serious health risks than being overweight, and when I stepped up my training regime (admittedly in combination with working a full time job and studying full time for my degree at the same time) last year I lost 10kg (22lb) in six weeks, and I had to start consciously eating very high calorie foods (think share-size bars of chocolate, ice cream, and cheese on everything!) in order to maintain my weight, and not be a size 0. All of that was probably the healthiest thing I could have done for myself at the time, and if any of my coaches had a problem with it (they didn't, they kept telling me to eat more, and at one point I was told that I could not get back on a tramp until my coach had seen me eat some chocolate) I would have flipped my lid!

I really don't think that it is within a coaches remit to say what a child can or can't eat, especially if she is one of the slimmest in the gym. If this is the case, she probably needs the calories.

@txgmyfan I'm SO with you. I think I've said this before in another thread but there is NO SUCH THING as a 'healthy' or 'unhealthy' food. There is only healthy or unhealthy FOR YOU. this hit home for me when I was teaching in Uganda, and butter is advertised as a health food, because most people's primary health need is to gain weight. Here in the uk (and I dare say in the US) lettuce and rice cakes are advertised as health foods, because lots of people are trying to lose weight.

Lol, I actually love lettuce and rice cakes :)
I do need to lose weight, but for almost 2 weeks when suffering with a medical issue, I was lucky if I managed to consume 500 calories a day, and the only days I got that many calories were the days I drank Pepsi. I was only eating light wheat bread, lettuce, and mustard - "safe" foods for my body at the time, but not a lot at one time. I was also drinking 1.5 - 2 gallons of water a day. When I was subsequently in the hospital, after they "fixed" the problem, I was told that I needed to eat MORE than I was.
The first lunch I ordered took me 2 hours to eat and it wasn't huge - healthy hospital cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, and fat free mayo; green beans; side salad; cherry Italian Fruit Ice, and apple juice. When I ordered my dinner (last possible minute before they stopped taking orders), I was still full, so the nurses put it up for me until I was ready for it... @ 11:30pm.
I eat when I am hungry and what I am hungry for. If I try to force myself to eat more, it doesn't work. I eat MOSTLY low fat to save myself from emergency gall bladder surgery, but sometimes, my body needs the fat.

.....It depends on the person's needs in general and at the time of eating.

I got the flu last summer and didn't eat for two days. When a friend dropped off dinner for me I was craving chips and apple juice. Clearly my body needed sugar and salt. I don't usually recommend chips and juice for a meal but it was one of the best ones I have ever eaten. If a child needs calories and calcium then ice cream is a healthy choice for that child. If a celiac wants a piece of bread that is not a healthy choice.

My own personal preference for recovery food is pizza when I've been ill with the flue or have gone too long without rest and food. When pizza isn't practical I'll have a milkshake to get a quick boost of fat and protein to recover from too little rest and too little food. Sure there are healthier choices but my choices work for me Considering I won't stop to prepare healthy choices, when I haven't planned my day out as well as I'd like, pizza and milkshakes are a blessing.

Last edited:
I haven't seen anything here that addresses the possibility ethnicity and genetics determining our individual dietary needs. A person with nordic roots may have needs and tolerances that differ greatly from people with middle east or asian ancestry.

I haven't read up on this past the point of realizing I don't know enough to be aware of the depths of my own ignorance on the subject. All I know is what I've read and heard, which all suggests there's no best course for nutrition beyond using common sense on portions and self evaluation of a dietary course.

Another question is how a diet may need to be a adjusted in times of stress, and how stress can cause weight gain...... and then there's the metabolic rebellion caused by severely limiting fats that causes fat to be stored.

There's a lot our bodies *know* that we never will. They have adapted to their nutritional surroundings and either failed or succeeded through a period from as far back as 250,000 years ago with the emergence of Neanderthals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back