Parents Home Conditioning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think it's a fine idea you have done splitting it up into manageable chunks. Keep at it.

I alter time and position to the point I may have a child do it in tuck or open tuck or arms vertical, on thighs or behind head.

One of the perks of being the coach. By my whistle, I rule.

Is it common for kids to get conditioning homework? Mine never has. They are at gym so long it seems like it should all get done there. What happened to keeping gym at the gym?

I don't call stretching at home "doing gym at home" , conditioning is just another form of exercises that many people do at home.

My dd only goes twice a week so the coach has given them some conditioning to do at home, this is to be done daily if possible but the coach understands that it is not always possible, we have to check off the exercises as they are done and have been given space under the list to write comments, to let them know if they couldn't do it everyday, if they are finding some things hard etc.

I haven't got a clue what they are working towards except future competitons, but from what I have seen they do a lot of conditioning at the start of the session and part way through, but considering the girls have just moved up from weekly rec classes with no conditioning to twice a week more intense classes I think they need to do it, especially after the coach told us that they are not where they should be gymnastics wise for their age (7-11), I think the older girls more so then my youngest dd.

These are the things she has learnt (strength and flexibilty wise) in the past 4 months :

Left leg splits - Flat
Right leg splits - Near enough flat
Box Splits - nearly there
Bridge with straight arms and legs
Bridge kickover (saw her do it for the first time from the floor)
Drop down to bridge
Pike fold - from half way down to near enough flat
Pancake - from 3/4 way down to flat
Long hang pull ups (she can do 3 from nothing whe she first started)
Rope climb (at least half way up)
Pullover if feet are on the ground (saw her get close to hanging pullover last night, she got kness to bar but couldn't quite get there)
Dips - at least 5 on small p bars

Looking at the list, how far is my dd away from where she should be for her age (7) considering she only started development gymnastics just before Christmas?

Okay I guess that makes sense. How many hours are her practices? Mine is also only there twice a week, but for 4 hours each time. All the girls have had those strength milestones a while, age range is 6-11. No one home conditions (unless the kid does it in their own), but they have all been at it at least a full year, about half of them for two+ years. So I guess just keeping at it a long while makes a big difference. Mine is one that is going 2+ years at this level of intensity, and she is no superstar for sure (far from it), but she is very strong. To think back to where we were strength wise when she first started, a year or two makes a world of difference. In the US, my daughter's program is considered laid-back, low intensity. On the other hand if she had had to do all the home conditioning you describe, I think she would have lost her motivation to do gym at all, being that she is not a kid who is in love with gym, but does like it quite a bit.

From what I read TinyDancer, your little daughter only trains 2dx2h. No idea what level that is but I'd guess that's roughly the training load of a L1-2.

She's doing alright then, just needs to keep working pull strength, hanging leg lifts, and HS/presses off a mat or couch.

It sounds like she is coming along well. It's hard to compare as my dd who us very nearly 7 has just upped her hours to 10pw over 4 days. I think they are hoping she will do comp 5. She obv has all those listed and more but looking back a couple of years when she first started and was doing those hours she was very flexible but really had to work at the strength stuff. She absolutely hates chin ups but once she saw the benefits for herself it got easier and once they get the strength the skills, especially on bars, seem to come quite quickly. Sounds like your dd is working hard and doing well so enjoy!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back