WAG back tuck vs whip back vs back layout

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

katlinchen

I have my RO BH BT on spring floor and I can do it on the grass too.

I have never tried a back layout or whip back.

Is it a big step to go from a back tuck to a layout/whip back?
For me, this seems impossible!
I think I might get it on tumbl trak easily, but on spring floor/grass I can't imagine doing that!

So is it a lot harder?
And which one is easier, whip back or layout?

With the correct technique it is not too difficult but as Gymishome suggests don't just go amd try it on the grass. When your coach feels you are ready to try it he/she will do drills with you first and let you know when it is safe.

I always insist my gymnasts learn the layout before the whip back because it can be hard enough as it is to keep the layout from looking whippy. But each coach is different you need to follow what your coach suggests. It's not always a great idea to learn the easiest version first.

With the correct technique it is not too difficult but as Gymishome suggests don't just go amd try it on the grass. When your coach feels you are ready to try it he/she will do drills with you first and let you know when it is safe.

I always insist my gymnasts learn the layout before the whip back because it can be hard enough as it is to keep the layout from looking whippy. But each coach is different you need to follow what your coach suggests. It's not always a great idea to learn the easiest version first.

Thanks for your answer! Of course I will listen to the coach! We haven't started learning it yet, I was just wondering how "hard" it's going to be.

For example, I learned a back tuck on the trampoline first. After 1 week I connected it to my round-off ond the tumble track and then after another week I did RO BH BT on tumble track.
Then I slowy transferred it to the floor, which took me some months to get it perfect and was definitely the hardest part for me because you don't have an extra bounce!

So I was just wondering that if you have a RO BH BT on floor, if its going to be just another some weeks of training to get the layout if you can do it on tumble trak or if it's super hard to get there....

I personally like the whip back is a little harder than the layout, it took me about 3 months to get the whip perfect( fear after getting hurt from it for about 2 weeks) and the layout only took me about 2 weeks. But it's different from everbody

It's really not that hard at all to transition to the back layout, but it can be challenging to perfect the body shape which is an important step if you want to work towards twisting, which I assume is a future goal.

It only took me a couple of weeks to transfer from back tuck to back layout. My only problem once I could do the layout was staying in dish/hollow and not panicking and piking it down. I also learnt whips reasonably quickly but it was also rather piked for a while. What finally made it click with me was my coach telling me a whip was just a BHS without hands :) sounds so simple said like that , but it's harder than most people think to actually force yourself to not put your hands down. :p

It only took me a couple of weeks to transfer from back tuck to back layout. My only problem once I could do the layout was staying in dish/hollow and not panicking and piking it down. I also learnt whips reasonably quickly but it was also rather piked for a while. What finally made it click with me was my coach telling me a whip was just a BHS without hands :) sounds so simple said like that , but it's harder than most people think to actually force yourself to not put your hands down. :p

Thanks for your answer!

My goal was always a RO BH BT. And I am pretty happy already! But if you say it doesn't take too long to do a back layout, I will go for it!

What about half and full twists after the layout? Were they hard for you?

I also got my half twist after a couple of months, but they were messy. My full came quite easily after competing my half a few times, :) but now a few years later, me and my coaches have realised that I am a natural twister rather than flipping multiple somis. As the most I can manage is double back where as I am training double twists into the pits currently. :p :)

My dd is a good tumbler...but not exceptional. It took about 2 months to learn the BLO after getting her BT. She "learned" a whip in one lesson on tumble track a couple of months later and then moved to rod floor. Neither are close to perfect yet, but getting better. Most training time is still devoted to perfecting the BHS.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back