MAG Is Level 8 easier than Level 7

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

munchkin3

Proud Parent
This is a debate I am having with HCoach. He insists you must do L 7 to have a good L 8.
A friend who is a boys judge says no, L8 is easier.

My understanding is that there is L8 and then there is L8. It's permissible to compete L8 without the required difficulty level for the dismounts and with simpler skills, but the scores will reflect this. In my son's program, a quick jump to 8 rather than a tour of 7 would more likely happen for an older gymnast, and the coaches would work with the kid through the season to get the difficulty of the routines and the dismounts up to competitive level on every event.

I agree wtih profmom. In the previous cycle, level 8 was definitely easier, but there are requirements now. And to truly compete level 8, you have to have those skills. But, as stated in a previous thread, boys are doign level 6 routines at level 8, but they are getting hammered in teh scores. I am glad D has a year of 7, with the skills it teaches, before moving up to 8!

Agreed. Difficulty is key.
For my DS I think 8 would be easier since he has wrist problem and L7 pommel is harder for him than L8. This is because he has more pain with open hand, than on pommels.
But, I guess coach knows best, right????
But I also have seen some crappy L8 routines!!! no one likes to finish LAST!

And unless he's competing as a 13 year old or up, he'd be on the pommel-less horse even at 8, right?

(I found it best to avert my eyes from L8 vault at states. My hairdresser didn't need to see me for another dye job that soon after the previous one. And then there were some of those "double" backs on floor . . .)

I saw one guy (when I say guy, it was a man) almost land on his head doing a ROBHS in L8!!!
Yes his is 13...so he would be in 13 and up next season.

Oh, the scary man-boy ones. Yeah. YIKES!

How close is L7 to L8 skillwise? Would a L7 routine be close to full value on most events for L8 except for the dismounts? I don't know L7 or L8 well enough to have a good fix, because no one in DS's gym is currently competing that level, and our one L8 guy this year has been out all season with an injury.

Tell you the truth, I am not sure...that is a question for DS and Coach....It seems to me that it is quite similar to come in L8 mid range, and be OK...Im not saying he would kick butt, I am just trying to find a way to solve the wrist problem.
I think Coach is making him do L7 until a mock meet in June. Then hopefully on to L8.

gymnastics is hard no matter the level. the rules are just easier.

not officially. because they're "tweeners' they tend to overlook some things.

bwahahahahahahahahaha...don't fret, you'll get thru it! :):):)

L8 is easier Many of the other people who commented do not know what they are talking about coming from someone who competed 8 last year I can tell you it is easier

Optionals is easier in the way you can hide your weaknesses

And again there are technically no requirements (people confuse this word) there are things your supposed to do but if u do a handstand foward roll it's still a routine. And the things your supposed to do aren't particular skills

Level 7 tends to be for the younger kids to learn je (technical seqeuence) another complicated thing

Anyway I would say definately level 8 for him

I agree wtih profmom. In the previous cycle, level 8 was definitely easier, but there are requirements now. And to truly compete level 8, you have to have those skills. But, as stated in a previous thread, boys are doign level 6 routines at level 8, but they are getting hammered in teh scores. I am glad D has a year of 7, with the skills it teaches, before moving up to 8!
Level 8 actually got easier in this cycle with the pommel horse changes and slightly new Jo rules.

We had 3 boys stay level 7 because they couldn't construct an actual level 8 routine. They could do enough skills, but it would not be competitive. So I think it depends on what you are looking for. But our coach won't let you compete somethign unless you are truly ready.

Without a B dismount, you can only get .3 rather than .5, and you are not eligible for the stick bonus. If you don't dismount with an A, you don't get credit for a dismount at all. The dismounts aren't required in the sense that you can't compete a routine without them, but the gymnast will take a significant hit on the score if the dismount isn't up to that level. The judges will count eight skills (seven plus the dismount) to calculate the difficulty score, so if the other seven skills aren't up to competitive level, the maximum D score will leave the gymnast behind before the judge even starts looking at execution. Can you still do OK if you are very clean? Sure, but you're starting behind people who have all the skills.

Even on the girls' side, you can compete an optional routine that's missing one of the "special requirements," but there is a significant deduction for doing so.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back