WAG Looking for: the Perfect Bun video

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Becauseisaid

Proud Parent
Someone posted a video of how to create the perfect bun. I remember that the hair pins were put in facing away from the bun and then twisted and pushed back under the bun. (If you followed that, I'll give you a cookie.)

Anyway....I can't find the video again. Can someone repost?

Didn't see the video sorry, but I have found the secret to success is ripple pins ... no idea how I would manage a pin free bun?
images

Here's the post with the video: http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/threads/bobby-pins-vs-bun-pins.44266/#post-274224
(I wasn't the poster, but I bookmarked the video it was so good)

For ballet I do it like in this video (with little bun pins, I don't have the, um, industrial strength ones shown there, I've been fine with thinner ones).
For gym, I do it almost the same, but don't flatten it out as much, whack a scrunchie around it and the pins can't escape. We haven't been told not to use pins, so I'm just going with it.
The scrunchie stops buns from being too flat which is why there's no point flattening it too much. Her bun has survived lots of backwards rolls without a scrunchie too.
You can get an even flatter bun by not twisting it much before the hairnet, but this won't stay put for gymnastics. For ballet it's fine.

For super dooper buns, wet hair, gel, comb through. Bit of gel on the flyaways at the end. The bun won't go anywhere.
Use a nit comb so you don't get comb marks with the wet hair and gel.

If this is for gymnastics, please do it without any pins!

Like this:

Why no pins for gymnastics gymdog? I've heard it a lot, but I always used pins as a gymnast and my current gymnasts do - we've never had any problems with them sticking in heads, falling out etc. Is it a 'just in case' thing or is there another reason?

I do ballet buns in my dds hair for meets, with pins, hairnets and scrunchies around. The pins don't come out... Part of it is technique, I think. :)

Wow! I thought I had seen all of the bun videos, but I haven't seen that one. I had such trouble with DD's hair this year, but this looks totally do-able. Just in time for my dancing DD's recital too!

Ok, so I did the bun a la the video and the pins seem to slide right out. Any suggestions? Today is recital day 2...

Are you using bun pins? Or bobby pins?
Bobby pins will slide out as they squeeze themselves shut.
If she has thick hair you need the strong pins, fringe pins are OK for thin hair if you use enough of them.

Wet the hair, rub gel into your hands, smooth it down the hair, comb it through, try again.
It won't go anywhere if you have gel in the hair.

Are the pins ending up fairly flat against her head near the base of the bun?

If you only have bobby pins, try and get them to grab on to each other within the hair and don't try to get too much hair in them.

Does she have a lot of thick hair? If the above doesn't help, could you post a photo of the bun?

It ended up staying in ok. I was using the straight bun pins. I was trying to avoid using gel because of the multiple hair changes within each recital. Her hair is actually pretty fine... An anemic looking bun even though her hair is pretty long.

Reactions: COz
Glad it stayed in! :)

Try spraying a bit of hairspray all over before you put it up, it gives it some grip but is easy to brush out before the next hairdo.

Mine has long thin hair too, you can actually get a nice looking ballet bun (don't do this for gymnastics) if you barely twist the hair and wind it very loosely before putting on the bun net. Squash it into a nice flat round shape and it'll stay in fine for ballet, but not well enough for repeated backwards rolls :)
Mine's tight gymnastics bun is pretty small, but her loose ballet bun is almost twice the diameter and makes her look like she has tons of hair.

I tend to use 10-12 hairpins and make sure at least some of them, usually the first couple end up underneath the hairband holding the ponytail. The others sometimes end up in funny directions as they sometimes bend because I'm using the thin fringe pins, they're enough for fine hair.

you can also get different sized bun rings - P&F was amazed the other day to see some massive ones in Claires Accessories, it never occurred to her that some people have "skinny" hair.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back