How long will it take to get a back walkover?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amblan01

Gymnast
I need it by August for the next level. I don't have a backbend kickover because my back and shoulders are stiff. Is it possible to gain back and shoulder flexibility and get a backbend kickover by then? That is the one skill that will move me forward. I am prepared to work hard enough to get it if I know it is possible.

I need it by August for the next level. I don't have a backbend kickover because my back and shoulders are stiff. Is it possible to gain back and shoulder flexibility and get a backbend kickover by then? That is the one skill that will move me forward. I am prepared to work hard enough to get it if I know it is possible.

I got mine in a few weeks after starting to work on backbend kickovers. It all depends on working hard and not being scared. If you really want it I would do multiple shoulder stretches and bridges at home. Stay safe! And good luck on getting it :)

I got mine in a few weeks after starting to work on backbend kickovers. It all depends on working hard and not being scared. If you really want it I would do multiple shoulder stretches and bridges at home. Stay safe! And good luck on getting it :)
Thank you so much! I'm sure your back and shoulders were much more flexible than mine. I started again when I was 13 going on 14 which is why I lost tons of flexibility. Thanks for the help.

I really don't have a flexible back lol it's pretty sad, however my shoulder flexibility is decent and makes up for it. Just keep trying you will get it. Stretch, stretch, stretch. How often are you working backwalkovers?

I really don't have a flexible back lol it's pretty sad, however my shoulder flexibility is decent and makes up for it. Just keep trying you will get it. Stretch, stretch, stretch. How often are you working backwalkovers?
I won't be able to do backbend kickovers on the wedge mat until may. But then once a week at tumbling, I'll spend awhile doing kickovers. I got my backbend most of the time. My back is getting more flexible.

Definitely possible. Walk your hands backwards up and down the wall loads and you will become much more flexible.
Thanks for your opinion.

I now have it off the lowest point on the wedge mat about 2-3 inches off the ground. I got it on the trampoline four times. I push off my toes. But when I get tired the toe strategy doesn't work. Any tips? Should I try to go flat footed and kick over?

I won't be able to do backbend kickovers on the wedge mat until may.

Why? I mean it's only a week, but why?

Find a wall at home or the couch, you get the idea.

By August, it should be doable.

Getting skills takes different amounts of time per each individual gymnast.

Here's another drill, it's a bit odd to post a gal in workout attire here but it's the only example I can find. One of my bosses once called this a Yogi HS. It will stretch the shoulders a lot like the cat/pike stretch on stall bars.

You can actually do it facing the wall as well. The base of your feet will push against the wall as you pull your chest to the wall.

The first day I did these my shoulders ached for a couple of days. It's a hard stretch.

Why? I mean it's only a week, but why?

Find a wall at home or the couch, you get the idea.

By August, it should be doable.

Getting skills takes different amounts of time per each individual gymnast.

Here's another drill, it's a bit odd to post a gal in workout attire here but it's the only example I can find. One of my bosses once called this a Yogi HS. It will stretch the shoulders a lot like the cat/pike stretch on stall bars.

You can actually do it facing the wall as well. The base of your feet will push against the wall as you pull your chest to the wall.

The first day I did these my shoulders ached for a couple of days. It's a hard stretch.

I was waiting for summer tumbling to have the wedge mat to be able to use. But I went Tuesday night and got it 2 inches off the ground. I should have it very soon.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back