MAG ODC of Elbow or Tendinitis

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

munchkin3

Proud Parent
First of all, how common is OCD of the elbow, and is there a way to rule it out?
Tendinitis of the elbow is very stubborn, having trouble getting rid of it.

for a boy? very uncommon if so. and yes, an MRI can rule out OCD. :)

Never heard of Osgood Schlater's for the elbow.

Tendonitis/Tendonosis...yes.

How old are we talking about it? This is more common in older, more experienced gymnasts working on pommel horse or rings moreso.

It shouldn't be happening with a youngster.

Pretty much the only way it clears is staying off it and rehab therapies.

I refer to my buddy's article on tendonitis.

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2009/08/on-tendonitis/

Btw, he is now an accredited PT and no longer in PT school so he is a professional.

OCD is not Osgood Schlaters's it is Osteochronditis Dissecans. And it does affect gymnasts and often causes a long term issue with the elbow. Get an MRI.

Yes, a boy...13.
Logically is does not seem like it is OCD of the elbow. I don't think with his intensity, it could be the problem. But he is 13, and there is nothing logical about gymnastics.
Dr. appointment made.

BTW, when it started, Dr. diagnosed with Tendinitis. PT said his arms are uneven in strength because of previous wrist injury.
I am thinking just time off...........AGAIN.........

Oh I hope not! He has had a hard time of it lately! I hope it isn't too much........keep us posted!

Good news! I hope the sports ortho has answers. Keep us posted!

That's great news!! My daughter has her follow up MRI on Thursday and we are hoping for good news too!

Time to separate the men from the boys!! DS doctor said the only way to get rid of his tendinitis is to soak in ice bath for 10 minutes. We got home, prepared the ice bath and in went the elbow......I'm really sorry, but my 9 yo daughter could have handled it better........he whined and almost cried after 3 minutes. I know it hurts and everything and I know it sucks but.........JEEEEZZZZ!!!!

Yeah, ice baths sucked.

You can also try heat.

Basically you are cooling the area to the point that when it is taken out of the cold environment, blood rapidly is sent to the area with all the good stuff that is in blood to heal.

Yeah, ice baths sucked.

You can also try heat.

Basically you are cooling the area to the point that when it is taken out of the cold environment, blood rapidly is sent to the area with all the good stuff that is in blood to heal.

to clarify this because it sounds confusing...you ice bath first for 15 minutes and then immediately place the elbow in warm water until it thaws. DO NOT use heat alone.

Yup, thanks Blairbob!
PT starts today and it looks like tennis elbow and triceps tendinitis both putting pressure on the nerve. ICE, ICE, ICE....I hate to do ibuprofen so often, but hopefully we will see an improvement in a week and then I can stop the ib.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back