WAG Elizabeth Price Retires from National Team to Attend Stanford

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think this is an excellent decision for Elizabeth. After all there are so few spots on that Olympic team in 2016 and coming from Parkette's, she would be full aware that there are no such thing as a guaranteed spot.

She will have a great collegiate career and will graduate with a degree from a very prestigious university. Pretty hard to pass on that!

She might also be considering the possibility of injury. She's just come back from an injury as it is and staying healthy through to 2016 is by no means guaranteed. At least this way she can start her NCAA career with a rested body instead of possibly sustaining a career ending injury trying for Rio and ending up with neither the Olympics nor a college scholarship.

She can always come back to Elite if she so desires. :)

I don't understand why some people seem so surprised or upset that she is choosing college over trying for the Olympics. This girl has already attempted to make an Olympic team. She was 4th at trials and was made an alternate. She knows the odds. She is stepping off the national team while she is at the top of her game. She is using her gymnastics to gain an amazing college education and hopefully will have a wonderful career as a college athlete.

I am proud of this young athlete. She did not let not going tot he Olympics stop her form going on to having another couple wonderful years of competition. She is now heading to a new chapter of her life.

I think NCAA gym rocks, definitely not a step down in my eyes. She can have four awesome years at Stanford. Way less stress than the national team and she will get to compete and shine.

Reactions: sce
I don't understand why some people seem so surprised or upset that she is choosing college over trying for the Olympics. This girl has already attempted to make an Olympic team. She was 4th at trials and was made an alternate. She knows the odds. She is stepping off the national team while she is at the top of her game. She is using her gymnastics to gain an amazing college education and hopefully will have a wonderful career as a college athlete.

I am proud of this young athlete. She did not let not going tot he Olympics stop her form going on to having another couple wonderful years of competition. She is now heading to a new chapter of her life.
She has a full ACADEMIC scholarship from what I have read. Competing for Stanford is just a plus :) lol

AND, she could STILL try for Rio... but get her education as well in the meantime.

When you look at how hard it is for gymnasts after competing in the O's you soon realise that college gym is not only fun, but a sanity saver. The O's is two years away and EB can be having the time of her life training only twenty hours a week, competing in some kick a.ss meets and furthering her education. PLus it is a full ride. She is very smart to seize the opportunity. The O's guarantees you nothing.

I think her aunt posted on twitter she was awarded a full academic scholarship to Stanford :). So would that might give her more flexibility if she wanted to return to elite for Rio?

I am so jealous that your athletes in the US have the opportunity to compete through college. So wish we had that here :)

I believe Stanford and Ivy League colleges do not offer academic or athletic scholarships. All scholarships are need based. However, educational cost can be easily covered in its entirety if financial need is determined.

Very proud of her. It's always great when these elite stars go to college. Especially, schools like Stanford. Of course, she'll be missed. Stanford is lucky to get her.

Stanford is not Ivy League. here in info on their athletics and scholarships: http://facts.stanford.edu/campuslife/athletics

"Stanford offers 300 athletic scholarships. About 900 student participate in intercollegiate sports."

I did not say Stanford was an Ivy League. My post clearly stated "Stanford AND Ivy League colleges". I did not mean to include "athletic" scholarships in my previous post. My bad. Sometimes it is hard to reconcile what my mind is thinking and what my hand is typing. I did quote a previous post that indicated Price received a full "academic" scholarship but not the post about a full athletic scholarship even though the latter was posted first. I know that Stanford does not award merit based scholarship except for athletes. Everything else is need based.

I did not say Stanford was an Ivy League. My post clearly stated "Stanford AND Ivy League colleges". I did not mean to include "athletic" scholarships in my previous post. My bad. Sometimes it is hard to reconcile what my mind is thinking and what my hand is typing. I did quote a previous post that indicated Price received a full "academic" scholarship but not the post about a full athletic scholarship even though the latter was posted first. I know that Stanford does not award merit based scholarship except for athletes. Everything else is need based.
I was clarifying as many people do lump them together. As well, Ivy League schools do not provide academic or athletic scholarships. Whereas Stanford does provide athletic scholarships.

It was a really smart decision. She was an alternate in the 2012 Olympics and her chances of making it to Rio were just about nil. There are too many really good juniors and then there is Simone. Elizabeth had a great year -- in many ways this was really her time. But she knew her elite career was likely coming to an end -- she made a smart choice. She will thrive at Standford, get to compete in a far less stressful situation and work towards whatever she wants to do with the rest of her life. plus she is ending her elite career on a really really high note. Good for her.

Just about nil? I disagree. A top gymnast like Price always has a good chance considering the number of athletes vying for the team. If she made trials, which is realistic for her, her chances are 1 in 3.

she' almost be 21 then. you know "shelf life" in gymnastics can't be predicted. she would be entering junior year of college. you know how the women's bodies get by junior year of college. for most, they're the walking wounded and can't wait for senior year to be over with.

EB made a smart move. she's very bright. and i personally wish her the best of academic and gymnastics success in NCAA. :)

and by the way, statistics are fruitless at that level for anything...:)

I totally agree.

she' almost be 21 then. you know "shelf life" in gymnastics can't be predicted. she would be entering junior year of college. you know how the women's bodies get by junior year of college. for most, they're the walking wounded and can't wait for senior year to be over with.

EB made a smart move. she's very bright. and I personally wish her the best of academic and gymnastics success in NCAA. :)

and by the way, statistics are fruitless at that level for anything...:)

I agree that shelf life can't be predicted. That's why I disagree with saying her chances were just about nil.

I also agree that statistics are fruitless at that level but it's pretty much a fact that any elite who makes it to trials has a 1 in 3 point something chance of making the team considering the number of gymnasts at trials in the first place. 1 in 3 might be just a technicality but it is way, way better than nil.

I'm NOT saying she should've stayed in elite instead of going to college. I'm just saying she's a top gymnast who has as good a shot as anyone.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back