Parents Not happy about surgery!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmom82773

Proud Parent
My daughter has just been told she has a fracture in her hand (hamate bone ) and the treatment is surgery! We are very concerned that its going to be hard for her to return to gymnastics. She is an 11 year old level 9. Dr says she will be able to return .. Anyone have any experience with this injury and / or surgery?? They think she did it on BHS on beam .. She puts one hand on top of the other and its the bottom hand that broke. Thanks !

No idea about this specific injury. However, my DD had a complete break of the ulna and radius that occurred during her BHS. The break was severe enough that she had an obvious deformity. The orthopedic surgeon cleared her to return to the gym after 6 weeks. I actually kept her out of the gym for just over 3 months. I figured it would hurt every time she put weight on that arm and that would increase her fear more then just having the break. I waited until she was begging to go back before letting her return. Of course all this happened in her first year of gymnastics and right after she was invited to join team.

Don't know about that specific injury, but I've seen several girls come back from significant hand injuries with complete success. One of DD's teammates had surgery last summer for a ganglion cyst in her wrist and went on to make L8 regionals in a region where it's pretty tough to do. My own DD needed surgery a few years ago to repair a displaced humerus fracture, but it set her back far less than I thought it would at the time.

I would also guess that if your DD is an 11 year old L9, her motivation to keep up with physical therapy and continue with conditioning while she is out will be quite strong.

Can't speak to the injury or recovery but my daughter had surgery to fix a fracture in her femur. Had to insert several tiny screws. The recovery time from the surgery was 12 weeks, the first two weeks she couldn't even go to the gym. The next 10 she was allowed to do conditioning and bars. She started PT after the first two weeks. At 12 weeks, she was cleared to resume practicing but on a gradual basis. So far things seem to be going well though its still early. She's a L10.

I wasn't happy about the surgery either but it was necessary to fix the injury.

What do you mean by 'not happy'. Are you considering not having the bone repaired? Isn't your dd's future health and well-being more important than a possible impact on gymnastics?

Did you get a second opinion? One of our level 9s "broke" her elbow last year. The first ortho said it required gymnastics ending surgery. Next two doctors said to wait and see. They waited. She was in rehab for awhile but was back to competing at the end of last season. I couldn't believe the difference in solutions so I would definitely talk to a second doctor if you haven't. She was off most equipment for about 5 months (kept with conditioning, BTs, jumps et al).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back