IGC Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sarah Yux

Gymnast
Hey guys.

My little sister is 12. She is going to IGC next week, and she is freaking out about it. She is a pretty beginner gymnast(she takes the advanced class, but she's not on the team or anything.) She always comes to talk to me about how she is nervous about being left out or whatever. Her hardest back skill isa back walk over, and she doesn't have a kip on beam… I've heard that IGC is a pretty intense camp, and mostly team kids… She is also pretty tall, she is 5ft 1.

For those of you who have been,
what do they test you on, and do they make you do something?
are there a good amount of 12 year olds at her level?
Will she feel left out?

thanks

If you're going to a gymnastics camp, usually you work on skills and they dont test you. If you want to work on a hard skill, like a back tuck, they would see, but no one would leave her out. If anything, they may tell her to do an easier skill than the one they tell everyone else to do because she doesn't know if she can do it.

If you're going to a gymnastics camp, usually you work on skills and they dont test you. If you want to work on a hard skill, like a back tuck, they would see, but no one would leave her out. If anything, they may tell her to do an easier skill than the one they tell everyone else to do because she doesn't know if she can do it.
I hear they have some group placement test though, so Im wondering what they test...

I'm going week 7 and 8 and it will have been my 4 year (i'm 14). They do have a "test" on Sunday, it's just to show what skills you can do on floor and bars so they put that with the level you are ( if your sister hasn't competed before then just say the level that she would compete) to split people into groups depending on level (and age) so you can make the most progress at your level with other girls similar to you. My sister is also going week 7 and 8 and is about the same age and level (she is 11), I don't think she would feel left out at all. It is my favorite place and I would recommend it to any gymnast. You could call it "intense" and it is, but only if your talking about how many hours your in the gym. I have made a lot of progress there and the coaches are always super nice. You will be able to write to her, I know you and send emails to the office and have them printed or something like that, but you and also send hand written letters too.

Its really fun and I know she will love it! (If your sister is going week 7 or 8 our sisters may be in the same cabin) (maybe)

Hope this helps!

There will probally be a few other girls her level. Not likely her age they test on bars and floor. Igc is intense tho u have 5 hours of mandatory gymnastics a day it's a lot for someone who's never done gymnastics seriously prepare for rips

O by the way you can pay for these things called bunk notes where you can type out an email for her and it will cost 2 dollars for her to reply

I went to igc when i was 11. They do test you on skills but all they do is ask you to do your hardest tumbling pass and spot you for a clearhip.

I was level 8 when i was 11 so i could easily do everything. They wont make her do something she cant and there were plenty of people in my cabin who couldnt do a back walkover so she should be fine

After they test you they put you into groups based on the skills you have so she will be put with other people of her skill level and honestly they are extremely good at keeping everyone involved. She wont be left out

There are lots of kids that will be her age there. Tell her not to worry itll be fun. I wish i could go back. It was such an amazing week

Oh yeah and no you wont be able to write to her but she will be able to write to you. At night your allowed to write a letter and on the way to breakfast in the morning you can put it in the mailbox for it to be sent to wherever. Thats what i did and my parents got the letter the second night i was there :)

Oh yeah and no you wont be able to write to her but she will be able to write to you. At night your allowed to write a letter and on the way to breakfast in the morning you can put it in the mailbox for it to be sent to wherever. Thats what i did and my parents got the letter the second night i was there :)
This year Igc implemented a way for campers to write a letter that is scanned and emailed to the parents for 2 dollars each. But for reference you are aware the op's sister already went.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back