WAG Coaches Fees. Why?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our coaches' fees are included in our lump sum meet fees. Each coach gets paid per session, they get an allowance for fuel and for food. They don't turn in receipts, they are given a set amount. Ask around what other gyms pay their coaches per session to help you come up with an amount. And include it in the team handbook or payment information you hand out at the beginning of each competition season so that there are no surprises for the parents.
I need to clarify this... they are given a set amount for food, and then their gas is paid for according to how far they drove. We have rarely had to pay extra at the end of the season as it's all included in our lump sum. Regionals and Nationals is separate, and only those that go have to pay.

This is a very interesting thread, I enjoy reading how every gym sets up their team fees. Every year we make a budget for all meet entries, coaches fees per session, coaches travel, food, lodging, mileage (when necessary), uniforms etc and divide it amongst the entire team regardless of level.

This is includes everything from Level 3 to TOPs to Level 10. Every level pays the same. Our feeling is that if you have one or two Level 9 or 10 girls and they go to nationals, those families shouldn't be penalized by paying for the entire coaching staff's expenses to go to the meet for one girl. That one girl is representing her team and everyone's costs are split equally. It also is helpful when maybe there are 20 girls on one level and 5 at a different level, they all pay the same.

And yes, the gym could easily put these into monthly tuition, but then tuition would go up. This way, by putting it into the meet fees, parents have the chance to fundraise a portion of it rather than have to pay it outright.

As for food, a lot of times I waive this because I eat at the meet hospitality or occasionally a parent has grabbed me something. I would only charge them for it if I was unable to eat at the hospitality for some reason. Figure it will be $50-100/session. Multiple coaches are generally encourage to carpool. We have charged per diem for trips to Congress or away meets though.

In town travel for meets are generally waived. So let's say you have 5 gymnasts in a session. You add your session fee + mileage and split it for that.

If it was an out of town meet that required a plane trip, you would add session+hotel+plane ticket and divide.

I have waived mileage before on road trips and just road along with a parent. It can save them a lot on mileage and I can chillax on the way so long as the parent is a decent driver and the kid isn't a pain. Never really had a problem though one mom made me edgy driving with her.

I also did that because we simply we were going for 1 or 2 gymnasts rather than a big group.

It's money out of your pocket though. If you're pretty broke as a coach, that's hard to give up.

Our fee's are done a bit differently then most other gyms in our area as each separate gymnast had their own account which any meet fees are taken out of. Coaches fees include a base session fee, mileage, food and any other associated fee (i.e. hotel, air etc.) Those fee's are split between the participating gymnasts. So great for the lower levels when you are splitting a local meet 10 ways, not so great when you are the lone L9 hauling your coach to regionals solo!:eek: I have never had a problem paying for the coaches time, and feel like our coaches have always been responsible with their fees. The largest one I have incurred was old L5 states, three days, hotels, food, five separate sessions = $80

Its also important to realise that it is very difficult to run a team at profit. Most gyms gain their profit only from recreational classes, with team programs just breaking even or even running at a loss.

Teams need to be in the gym a lot of hours, they need a low coach to gymnast ratio, they usually need the most experienced, therefore most expensive coaches and need constant equipment upgrades.

If gyms were to charge parents what it really costs to run the team then very few would be able to afford to be on the team.

That is why the gym just paying them for their time is often not an option.

Our fee's are done a bit differently then most other gyms in our area as each separate gymnast had their own account which any meet fees are taken out of. Coaches fees include a base session fee, mileage, food and any other associated fee (i.e. hotel, air etc.) Those fee's are split between the participating gymnasts. So great for the lower levels when you are splitting a local meet 10 ways, not so great when you are the lone L9 hauling your coach to regionals solo!:eek: I have never had a problem paying for the coaches time, and feel like our coaches have always been responsible with their fees. The largest one I have incurred was old L5 states, three days, hotels, food, five separate sessions = $80

I always feel bad for the parents who have to foot the bill for something like regionals or nationals because their child is the only one going. We do a budget for the whole year and divide it amongst every kid on team weather they are a level 3, tops or level 10 they all pay the same. This includes their entry fees, usag membership, coaching fees, coach(s) travel expenses, etc. I think last year they paid around $1,000 for the season. If they fundraise, they can lower this amount. Or they can choose to not fundraise and just pay it, it's up to them.

A lot of the time for something special like that, some gyms will throw a small fundraiser for it.

A car wash can rake in some good cash and is pretty easy to set up fast.

I totally understand paying the coach for their time, travel and food. More often than not our meet time is on Saturday, which is also a 4 1/2 hour practice day. Since there are no make-ups and we have already paid for about the same amount of time spent with the coach, It seems like we are paying double.

I always feel bad for the parents who have to foot the bill for something like regionals or nationals because their child is the only one going. We do a budget for the whole year and divide it amongst every kid on team weather they are a level 3, tops or level 10 they all pay the same. This includes their entry fees, usag membership, coaching fees, coach(s) travel expenses, etc. I think last year they paid around $1,000 for the season. If they fundraise, they can lower this amount. Or they can choose to not fundraise and just pay it, it's up to them.
Sorry for the double reply! I thought the first one was lost -

I totally understand paying the coach for their time, travel and food. More often than not our meet time is on Saturday, which is also a 4 1/2 hour practice day. Since there are no make-ups and we have already paid for about the same amount of time spent with the coach, It seems like we are paying double.
Usually team tuition is not an hourly fee, more like a yearly fee. If you figure you pay tuition monthly and most months have four weeks, you probably don't pay more for the months that have five weeks. In the end it all evens out.

If it's a sore subject, I wonder if it's not because there is doubt the coaches are seeing the money. At both gyms my daughter went to, we paid far more in travel fees than were paid to the coach. At the first gym, I'm pretty sure the compulsories paid extra so the optional parents wouldn't be paying an arm and a leg at the bigger meets. That seemed fair.

At the newer gym, I coach, so I complete the meet entry fees and also receive a paycheck for meets and travel, and it's no where near the amount the parents (including myself) are paying. I don't think every place is like that, but could be some parents have just done the math and figured something is fishy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back