Parents Going Crazy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Pea went to IGC for the first time when she was 9. She was fine being away from home and loved it! She did not, however, make it 10 minutes into the car ride before she was out cold ;) The emailing home was a new option this year, but no calls from her councilor (nor many pictures of her I might add...humph)

Is this something new that the couselors call and you get emails back? IGC never had that when my girls went.

They have something new called "e-letter" this year, where you are given the option to pay for a response if you send them an email using a campstamp. One campstamp to email them, one for the reply. the kid is given a blank piece of paper and they scan it and email it to you.

But I've never ever been called by a counsellor before. DD is there right now, and no one has ever offered to call, it's not in the documentation, etc. @gothgymmom consider yourself very lucky. It is NOT the norm.

DD started going when she was 7.... So that's as allowed as of two years ago.

They have something new called "e-letter" this year, where you are given the option to pay for a response if you send them an email using a campstamp. One campstamp to email them, one for the reply. the kid is given a blank piece of paper and they scan it and email it to you.

DD started going when she was 7.... So that's as allowed as of two years ago.

That's a cool system. My poor girls had to write real letters with envelopes and stamps! Now my son rolled his eyes at me when I asked if he wanted me to email him, lmao. They allow cellphones at Woodward though.

My oldest is 17 so I'm talking about 8 years ago, I think they changed the minimum age to 7 either 1-2 years after she started.

One of the reasons I prefer Woodward over IGC is they allow cell phones. DD called a lot her first couple years, but now (5 or 6 years later) I am happy with an occasional text message. DS went to a non-gymnastics camp last summer and was practically outraged that I wanted him to use their blog to communicate. Write something -- in the summer? That's sacrilegious! Sigh... Not sure how much longer the girls will want to keep going to camp, but this year there is a large group from the gym going and it's still as much fun as when they were teeny ones.

I'd like to change my comment about calls from camp. They called me this morning :)

I'd emailed yesterday to inquire about Lily's training, as last year we'd had an issue with her being placed in the wrong group, and because she's young she wasn't willing to speak up. At the time, they told me I could inquire at any time about her progress. So yesterday I emailed and asked them to send me "her plan".

I got a call today from the gym supervisor, who gave me a summary on what she'd worked on for the last two days, and the "plan" for the remainder of the week. They said she was doing very well, and that her coaches loved working with her.

I'm impressed. It seems that for the first time, she was (IMO) properly placed. They said "well she's a L9 and working on typical L9 skills". They talked about fixing her entry for her yurchenko, and slowing her down as she is too fast. That they expected she'd get permission to flip them today. That she spent the day on the pit bar working on giantx2 - double backs, and would be working on uneven bars for the remainder of the week. That she'd picked the beam skills she wanted to work on (perfect, since she is so far ahead of the curve there). That they were going to attempt double backs on floor today, and she'd been working on double twists.

So there you have it - I guess all you have to do is ask ;)

You are lucky. My dd has gone to IGC the past two years and we didn't get any phone calls or return emails. It was definitely hard the first year! I was stalking the pictures and looking at the canteen account obsessively. Lol. Last year, not so much. It gets a lot easier and it is definitely much harder on the parents than it is on the kids!
My daughter went to IGC camp this week. First time she has been away. I feel like I am losing my mind. I am obsessive with looking at the canteen account and the pictures. I am so happy to hear there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

My 6 year old has just come back from a 10 day camp- her idea to go, she insisted she would be fine. Parents discouraged from calling so just a daily post from the councillors on the website with some pics. I suffered loads but she absolutely loved it and is already planning the next one! Over here going to camp starts very young so 6 is regarded as very normal.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back