WAG Are press handstands just allowed on beam as mounts?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

K

katlinchen

I have been thinking a lot if I should do a V-Sit or a press handstand mount on beam, because I like them both but am too weak to combine the two (like V-Sit to Press Handstand - can't get my feet through!).

Now that I heard about the "Korbut flip" I was thinking if it was possible to do a V-Sit as a mount, and then in the middle of the routine, when I did the Korbut, press up to handstand to stand on the beam
again.

Questions:

1. Is that possible or are presses just allowed for mounts?

2. Why do so little gymnasts do korbuts? They look so cool! Are they easier because you don't have to be exact with the feet or harder? To me, they look easier!

Thanks in advance!

Press handstands are allowed at any time during a routine, although I'm not sure it would get credit as a skill. I think it might just be part of the choreography/dance portion of your routine. As far as Korbuts being harder or easier, I would say that they might equal out in difficulty. This is because you still have to be very accurate when you execute the back handspring entry, lest a foot or knee comes down and smacks the beam because you weren't square on take-off. The mechanics are slightly different, too. Korbuts are meant to be purposefully undercut a bit, which makes it easier to "roll" into the landing, so this means the take-off would have to be different than a standard back handspring. This is probably why a lot of gyms and coaches don't teach them, for fear of messing up the normal back handspring. I would suggest learning both in tandem. I think cross training between two skills helps you to better differentiate between them, and to learn how they are different and similar, while still training and improving both. A nice drill to start training Korbuts is to practice standing back handsprings to handstand, then fall to stomach. This will teach you to alter the beginning phase, while slowing it down enough to control the second phase.

And I just thought of a really cool idea that you could do right after the Korbut while in your straddle sit, rather than the press handstand. This:

Press handstands are allowed at any time during a routine, although I'm not sure it would get credit as a skill. I think it might just be part of the choreography/dance portion of your routine. As far as Korbuts being harder or easier, I would say that they might equal out in difficulty. This is because you still have to be very accurate when you execute the back handspring entry, lest a foot or knee comes down and smacks the beam because you weren't square on take-off. The mechanics are slightly different, too. Korbuts are meant to be purposefully undercut a bit, which makes it easier to "roll" into the landing, so this means the take-off would have to be different than a standard back handspring. This is probably why a lot of gyms and coaches don't teach them, for fear of messing up the normal back handspring. I would suggest learning both in tandem. I think cross training between two skills helps you to better differentiate between them, and to learn how they are different and similar, while still training and improving both. A nice drill to start training Korbuts is to practice standing back handsprings to handstand, then fall to stomach. This will teach you to alter the beginning phase, while slowing it down enough to control the second phase.

And I just thought of a really cool idea that you could do right after the Korbut while in your straddle sit, rather than the press handstand. This:

Thanks a lot fot your very very helpful reply and answer. It's ok if it just counts as dance and not a skill itself.

Wow, this looks amazing, but also very hard! But I will definitely show it to my coach! Thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back