WAG tell me about your injuries

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Raendrops, holy accident-prone, Batman!!! Stay safe!
Lol, it is more like stupidity prone :) The tree thing with the ribs was also one of the sprained ankles and wrist... shouldn't have listened to my brother since 2 years earlier, he had tried to defy the laws of gravity and ended up with 14 stitches in his head.

Some of the other injuries were baseball related and football related and boy chasing related and bmx racing related and cheerleading related and trombone related work related (in my day job) and roller skating related and skateboarding related and 2 gymnastics related... and the other wrist was sprained SHUTTING a CAR DOOR, lol.

My prescription bubble wrap should arrive any day now, lol. ;)

A couple of months ago I hyperextended my knee doing a jump straddle full turn and the pain didn't go away. I went to the doctor and it turns out I strained my ligament and tore my cartilage. I train through the pain but it turns out if the pain is still there in a couple of months then I have to have surgery :( even though I am not allowed to train I'm not going to stop. Gymnasts are tough and we can handle a little (or a lot) of pain.

My dd had a Jones' fracture (5th metatarsal), OCD in left elbow which she has surgery on, broken finger and she has fractured her navicular bone in her left foot, this is the 3rd time, same bone (dealing with it for 1+ yrs now). Hoping to recover without the need for surgery... Long, slow process....

PLEASE explain to me how you get an injury playing trombone? WHAT?! o_O
LOL I would also know what were your trombone injuries.

my middle dd is the always injured one.
Numerous ankle sprains, knee sprain, wrist sprain (latest somehow done whilst doing a front sommie!), wrist growth plate inflammation, severs - seriously it's wearing, she is pretty much alway injured or taped or braced.

Would love her to have one good term. haha I'm sure her gymnastics would improve if she actually could train!

Adelita, I also hyperextended my knees on a bar move- maybe someone can tell me what this is called (I am 42yr old mom and can't remember): Imagine you are standing on the low bar. You reach down and hold the bar with your hands reversed, like in a pike stretch position. Then you fall forwards and try to circle all the way around the bar, as I recall when you get around you switch your hands real quick and kip up. What is that skill? Do they still do that? I could never manage it, my feet would slip off and heels would strike the ground real hard.

PLEASE explain to me how you get an injury playing trombone? WHAT?! o_O
Ok, so at the end of 7th grade, the band director approached me with an offer. He would give me a trombone - free of charge... if I played in the band in 8th grade through high school. I had wanted to be a DRUMMER, but whatever, he knew I wanted to be in the band and here was my chance. He also gave me a practice book and told me when summer practice for beginners would be. I would be with 5th and 6th graders, but that was fine with me.

When I practiced at home, my stepmom made me practice outside. There was only one place to practice that had someplace for me to put my book upright where i could see it. Well, I was practicing and got light headed and passed out... fell backwards, hit my head and got a concussion. Stopped practicing for a couple weeks until I was better... then started again. Had 2 good practices, but the third day, it happened again. My doctor said that I didn't have the lung capacity for the trombone so I had to turn in the trombone and quit. :(

My big injury was a few years ago when I tore my ACL on my fourth ever full twist. It was devastating. I haven't had the guts to really go for it ever again. Nothing else too major, but after my years of doing gymnastics as a kid and now doing it as an adult, by body is a wreck. I've had shoulder surgery, lots of PT for both shoulders, my back hurts, my neck hurts, I have tendonitis in my elbow, I've had bursitis in my hip, sciatica, etc etc etc. I feel like I'm 80 but I'll still flip around the tumbltrak whenever I have a free moment. PS - I've had more injuries coaching than actually participating. Oh yeah, that includes my nasty hand injury a few months back when I got my hand caught in the vault when it was being lowered. I finally have most of the feeling back and it looks like I'll have quite a nasty scar.

Adelita, I also hyperextended my knees on a bar move- maybe someone can tell me what this is called (I am 42yr old mom and can't remember): Imagine you are standing on the low bar. You reach down and hold the bar with your hands reversed, like in a pike stretch position. Then you fall forwards and try to circle all the way around the bar, as I recall when you get around you switch your hands real quick and kip up. What is that skill? Do they still do that? I could never manage it, my feet would slip off and heels would strike the ground real hard.

I loved that move. It's a forward sole or stoop circle. I remember it from the Class 3 compulsory bar routine. Remember you would do a bar beat and then stand on the low bar and reach down and do the sole circle into a kip. That was fun. I've wanted to try it in the past few years, but have been afraid to do so for exactly that reason. I'm afraid to hyperextend my knees slipping off the bar!

I loved that move. It's a forward sole or stoop circle. I remember it from the Class 3 compulsory bar routine. Remember you would do a bar beat and then stand on the low bar and reach down and do the sole circle into a kip. That was fun. I've wanted to try it in the past few years, but have been afraid to do so for exactly that reason. I'm afraid to hyperextend my knees slipping off the bar!

I found it:

That's the move!! I knew I could do it, I just KNEW. Didn't really plan on the feet coming off. Never figured out how to keep them on.

The trick is you have to pull very hard with your hands while pushing with your feet. Also you have to start high back on your heel so by the time you get around you are by your toes.

I'm a level 9 and have had my share of constant injuries.
1. I had back problems for about a year when I was an old level 6 (2008) because of back walkovers. The moment that level 6 season was over I stopped doing back walkovers and my back has been pretty good, other than being stiff ever since.
2. I got wrist guards in old level 6 because I have what is probably tendonitis in my wrists and I've used them ever since for floor, vault, and beam.
3. I bone bruised the bottom on my foot and had issues my whole year of and competing level 7.
4. I jammed my left ankle on a double back so bad that I couldn't walk for a month. 8 months later I jammed it again, just not as bad; but it wouldn't stop hurting. I got new x-rays and an MRI a couple months later and it turned out I tore the posterior tibialis tendon in the ankle and inflamed another tendon around that one. It's impossible to tell when I did the most damage to the tendons. The posterior tibial tendon didn't heal after 8 months in a walking boot, so I had ankle surgery to fix it and remove bone spurs from the front of my ankle bone. That was over a year ago. To this day I still have daily ankle pain and rarely do floor and vault. I never land bars dismounts, I can't do my old beam series, dismount, or work punch fronts on beam because of ankle pain. It's a struggle, but I keep coming back for more. College club gym here I come!
5. Also, I have naturally tight tendons and ligaments so any repetitive action eventually makes my joints swell and build-up bone spurs so I have random twinges of pain and the assortment of mild pains frequently.

Cameron, wow, that's a lot of injuries!

Ivyagogo, thank you!! If I wasn't a 42 year old out of shape mommy, I might give that a try! Someone really needs to invent a time machine.

7th grade: buckle fractured the 5th metatarsal in my left foot(closer to the ankle not toes)- in a boot for 6 weeks
8th grade: fractured the growth plate in my right ankle- cast for 4 weeks (funny story, I actually competed on it broken at a meet because I was leveling out of level 7 and the ER docs said it was probably a sprain)
9th grade: tore a ligament in my pinky, then re tore it- I was in a splint for a month both times it happened and was told I needed surgery, but it's a pinky lol
10th grade (now!)- in mid September I fell on straps and fractured my scaphoid, so far I have been in a thumb spica cast for 15 weeks, I go back to the doctors tomorrow hopefully for good news! (ps I would be competing level 9 this year)

1. Miscellaneous broken/sprained fingers and toes
2. Sprained ankles 2x the left, 5x the righ
3. Sprained elbows
4. 6 BAD hyper extensions of my knees
5. Concussion x2
6. Miscellaneous back injuries including sprains and hyper extension
7. Wrist tendinitis
8. Patella femoral
9. Sprained neck/upper back in a over rotated full
10. Cracked and bruised ribs... fainted in the middle of BHS on BB and twisted cracked 5
11. Severely bruised heels
12. Dislocated sternum- the only non-gym injury
13. Cracked my cheekbone with a knee to the face doing tsuk
14. Currently nursing a torn ACL and MCL, subluxed patella, and stress fracture in my right ankle
And many bloody noses and lips from spotting! Everything but the sternum was from gym, my old gym was extremely unsafe, new gym is miles better in terms of safety- the knee injury was a fluke. This was all within five years.

1. A fractured finger with torn tendons in hand (don't put your hands behind you in a back tuck!)
2. Many other broken/jammed/sprained fingers and toes
3. Sprained both ankles twice (one from tripping on tumble trak :rolleyes::p)
4. Concussion from beam
5. Shin splints
6. Badly bruised shin from a squat on o_O:rolleyes:
7. Pain in both knees-possibly Osglod shlatters (sorry I can't spell it!)
8. Hyperextended right knee
9. Sprained wrist
10. Stress fracture in elbow :mad:
That's it for now ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back