WAG Any tips for straight legs ?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Libby's gym mom

Proud Parent
My dd is 7 and will start to compete next April. She has been told by her coach she needs to work on her straight legs and to wear weights on her ankles, sit upright on her chair and raise till straight , 60 each leg . We also have been shown some simple stretches to do at home to help . I was wondering if anyone else has ideas of what we can do to help her x

In my opinion, I think that's extreme. My DD has had some straight leg issues as well but we were told to work on certain stretches more and to take ballet. I don't believe weights are recommended for this problem and actually, at her age. My DD is 6, in TOPS & L4, is very strong and has never had weights on. The type of stretches that were recommended are a type of ballet stretch. They've really helped her. I believe there's some threads on CB. And weights, you might want to research before allowing those exercises. Good luck!

My dd is having the same problem. Her coach told her to sit on the floor with her ankles up on a couch and then put a weight on her knees!! She recently hyper extended her knee and when I told her doctor about this exercise he nearly fell out of his chair. He recommended just doing the seated extension exercises.

Yes we are continuing with the seated leg raises and to be honest the last few days her legs are marginally straighter !! So must be working . She is very strong legged already , not weak at all !!

I honestly think some of this comes with age for some kids. At 7, my dd just didn't have the ability to control, tighten and straighten everything. Fast forward even a year, and she was looking much improved. I've seen it worth several other kids as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back