WAG how many press handstands can you/your DD do?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd used to be able to consistently do 10, but now can do consistently do 6ish (according to her). She is 17 and going off to college. The younger girls have a much easier time doing press HS, once puberty hits and those hips come, most older girls just can't really do them anymore. Being that she is 17 (will be 18 in Sept) we are quite impressed that she can still do them. She actually had a press HS as her beam mount this past season too.

My dd used to be able to consistently do 10, but now can do consistently do 6ish (according to her). She is 17 and going off to college. The younger girls have a much easier time doing press HS, once puberty hits and those hips come, most older girls just can't really do them anymore. Being that she is 17 (will be 18 in Sept) we are quite impressed that she can still do them. She actually had a press HS as her beam mount this past season too.

Wow, pretty awesome!
May I ask you what level she is in?

My dd learned them as part of TOPs training. She is 13 now and can still do 10 in a row. She does them as part of her warmup 4 days a week, and seems to prefer to do them sideways on the beam. The year that she made B team when she was 10, she did 28 in a row. But that wasn't even the record at our gym; one of her friends got to 31. That's just sick =)

To Granny Smith's point, she hasn't hit puberty yet and only weighs about 85 pounds, so that probably is why she still can!

LOL at OzZee, you're so not alone. I can barely sit in a straddle, and there is no way my bum is even getting off of the floor. PS - I am in awe of gymnasts! :)

My dd can't do any yet but she is only 6 and a level 2. Yesterday at practice they introduced them for the first time. I imagine it will be a while until she can do it though, but she's excited to try.

Our gym definitely does seem to do them a lot. I've seen some of the other groups (I am guessing level 4 or 5) do them during practice and it is so impressive. I watched a couple of young girls do at least 6 in a row and some other do a couple in a row over and over.

Why do you doubt she will ever get them?? Everyone can do it! I believe in her

Well, she has hit puberty so everything's just off and her strength hasn't kept up with her growth...and since she's only been working them consistently at this gym for about a year (not sure how often they do them, but old gym never did them), I just don't see it happening. But good to see she's not alone after seeing gymmonkeymomma's post!! All is not lost, I guess :p.

Well, she has hit puberty so everything's just off and her strength hasn't kept up with her growth...and since she's only been working them consistently at this gym for about a year (not sure how often they do them, but old gym never did them), I just don't see it happening. But good to see she's not alone after seeing gymmonkeymomma's post!! All is not lost, I guess :p.

I am 21, have started gymnastic a year ago and never done anything like this before. I could press from a straddle in 5 months and can now do a sitting one after 11, I am close to two in a row. So definitely possible!!!

I am 21, have started gymnastic a year ago and never done anything like this before. I could press from a straddle in 5 months and can now do a sitting one after 11, I am close to two in a row. So definitely possible!!!

My DD is 6, L4 and does 5 in a row consistently. Prefers floor over beam when doing pressed handstands. She's done 7 but they stopped practicing them for a while and just recently started them back.

My 9yo DD can do 3 in a row on a good day without dropping her bum on the floor. She is training L4 and just started Tops training a couple months ago.

My 12 year old daughter was in TOPs when she was 8-10 and holds the record for her gym with 28 in a row. She is a level 8/9 now and is 2 years removed from TOPs and I think the most she has done recently in a row is 16. They only work on them once in a while now. When she tested that was one of the things I worried about the least. She couldn't do vertical jump to save her life.

She likes to do it on the beam sideways so her hands can be a little farther apart.

GTCmom of a level 8 gymnast and wife of a coach

My dd (9) isn't an ace on these - she has long arms and legs, but she can do three in a row without her bum touching the floor. They do six, minimum, every warm up in every session - sometimes ten.

The straddle press to handstand and back to straddle (sideways only I think?) on beam is the required mount for our compulsory level 3. It used to be for level 4 as well but they now do the Russian lever. So it's considered and important skill and one they are required to show to progress.

My DDs are still little (3 and 5) and can't do handstands, let alone press handstands. But I can see that they are already working towards them because they spend some time each practice holding their butts off the floor while in a straddle. This is one of their favorite skills to show off at home because they can do something that mom & dad definitely can't do (and we are fairly athletic for non-gymnast grownups).

My DD is 8 years old. She competed L7 last season and just did the maximum number allowed (10 I think) during TOPS testing.

DDs group trains them, absolutely. She was in a skills based training programs here (ODP) and it was one of the required stations. It appears to me that they do it based on time so I don't know how many she can do, but I'm thinking dozens on a regular basis.

But I agree with the others - age/size totally affects numbers. Older teens in her group that could do them younger struggled as they got older. She hovers just below 70 lbs, is 54" and a L9, so everything is stacked in her favour in this regard.

My daughter can not do them... she wants it so badly too. She can't seem to figure out how to get up from the sitting position. :( She can do them from the standing straddle position with no problem. Oh, she is training L4.

DD can do 2 somewhat consistently. I think she *could* do more, but she bails. However, her hand stands have gotten better from practicing the presses.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back