MAG Summer camps level 9

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I know our level 9s and 10s have gone to FlipFest, Minnesota, stanford, and liked them. Hope you can find one that isn't full!

I'm a level nine and I go to Igc honestly I think it's the best balance between training and a traditional fun summer camp. If you want straight up training college camps may be ur best bet but from what I've heard Igc has more training hours per day than flip test and wood ward

Just wondering what is better have his coach there or not ( he is learning level 10)
Not at his level which is my level also it's good to get a different perspective from different coaches. It's something that is controversial but from experience I find that sometimes a coach can say something to you that may be a little different than what your coach would tell you and it clicks. The high groups at Igc get very good coaching so your not getting someone that doesn't know what your doing. For instance I've had coaches like vitally marinich or Rustam Shapirov. Both of which have coached for a long time and know there stuff (vitally is the coach at OTC). Ask him though he will know what he wants ask him if he wants a more traditional camp or a camp that's more like a training camp.

Not at his level which is my level also it's good to get a different perspective from different coaches. It's something that is controversial but from experience I find that sometimes a coach can say something to you that may be a little different than what your coach would tell you and it clicks. The high groups at Igc get very good coaching so your not getting someone that doesn't know what your doing. For instance I've had coaches like vitally marinich or Rustam Shapirov. Both of which have coached for a long time and know there stuff (vitally is the coach at OTC). Ask him though he will know what he wants ask him if he wants a more traditional camp or a camp that's more like a training camp.
I know he wants more training camp style

I know he wants more training camp style
Thanks so much for recommendations. My son just came back and absolutely loved IGC made new friends had fun and dud his gymnastics even learned new skills and now wants to go back for the rest of the summer. I am in trouble lol :eek:

Thanks so much for recommendations. My son just came back and absolutely loved IGC made new friends had fun and dud his gymnastics even learned new skills and now wants to go back for the rest of the summer. I am in trouble lol :eek:
Wait.... I was at Igc the last two weeks what is your sons name you can dm it to me if your not comfortable I was in cabin 12

For the guys who've been to IGC, roughly where do you see them making the cut in groups? I.e., at what skill level would they put a boy into the higher groups? Or does it just totally depend on how many boys are there in any given week? DS's teammate raves about the place, but he has always been ahead of the game skill-wise. (DS goes for the first time in August with several of his teammates, and I'm kind of hoping at least a few of them get pulled up.)

For the guys who've been to IGC, roughly where do you see them making the cut in groups? I.e., at what skill level would they put a boy into the higher groups? Or does it just totally depend on how many boys are there in any given week? DS's teammate raves about the place, but he has always been ahead of the game skill-wise. (DS goes for the first time in August with several of his teammates, and I'm kind of hoping at least a few of them get pulled up.)
It really does depend the 1st week I went I got a 29+ in screening which is one point away from the highest possible score and got in group 2 the second week I got a 27+ and got in group 1 it really depends as the first week everyone in group 1 got a 30 where in my second week there were 25s in group 1 (my first week was also the first time in Igc history everyone in group 1 got a 30)

The first week there were 9 boys groups the second week there were 6 boys groups

All those numbers may just seem wierd but I'll explain.

In order to be placed in the correct group Igc tests on 3 events floor pommels and high bar level and age also contribute slightly if there is a tie In scoring

The progressions are fairly simple

Floor

Back handspring - 5
Backtuck - 6
Layout - 7
Full - 8
Double full or double back - 9
Full in, full out, half in half out, or double Arabian - 10

10+ is anything past that

Pommels

Circle on mushroom - 5
False scissor - 6
Full scissor - 7
Circle - 8
Moore (check kher) - 9
Bailey - 10

10+ is anything they deem harder then a bailey

High bar
Kip - 5
Giants (back only) - 6
Giants ft and back - 7
Half pirouette - 8
Full spin or vault catch - 9
Working C release move - 10

10+ is if you can do a c+ release move by yourself without matts on the bar

Even though these are the skills they ask if you have for safety (due to no real warmup other then stretch) the Max skill you will have to do is a few giants a layout and a few circles they will judge whether a kid is lieing or not on how good there basics are

I'll show you how I got scored the first week

High bar I have worked jaegers so they gave me a 10

Floor I have a double full so I got a 9

And pommels I can do a 3/4 sivado and a kroll so they gave me a 10+

The second week I got 9s on everything purely because I verbal screened (verbal screening is only aloud if it's your second consecutive week or your injured)

The grouping by numbers does depend however scoring has been the same since it started going many years ago

Thanks for that detail! Just dropped my son of there yesterday and always wondered about placement!

U of M runs a great camp. Our boys where there this week. If you hurry they have added a camp week of July 27.
Kids can stay at the dorm and have shuttle from DTW if you need.
Getting their picture with Sam was more inspiring then the 30+hrs of sweat.
Go to MgoBlue dot com

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back