Parents Moving towns, choosing between two gyms

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ErinEclectic

Proud Parent
Okay, so we're moving towns (about 2 hours away) and are in the process of choosing a gym for my DD (6 yrs old). At our old gym she was just invited to Pre-team at the beginning of the summer and they planned to have her compete Xcel Bronze. She did a bunch of in house meets the past two years and loves competing. So far it's just been for ribbons though, no scores.

Everywhere we've lived before, there's only been one choice for a gym so now that we're moving to a bigger city and have, oh, 6 decent gyms to choose from, it's tough. I narrowed the choice down to the two closest ones, at lest to start out. If they didn't pan out we would widen the net. So far, these two are looking good, but each for their own reasons.

At each gym, DD has been evaluated by the HC and has been placed on pre-team, and starting next week, she's doing a trial session at each of them. I know there's a ton of questions I should ask when she's there for a trial, as well as talk with her about afterwards, and I'm planning on staying and watching at each trial. However, it would be really nice if some more experienced people could help me wade through the pros and cons so far, and give me some pointers on questions.

Gym A: Pre-team trains level 2 with the option of coming once or twice a week for 2 hours each day (DD would do both days), in the fall she can decide if she wants to compete or not at L2, doing a couple local meets, the only out of town one being at our old gym. If she competes, she would have 2 days a week mandatory with an optional 3rd day. HC also said there also the possibility of moving to L3 mid season.

Gym B: Pre-team trains level 3, twice a week for 3 hours each week. In Nov is an in house meet for the entire gym, but that would be her only meet experience unless she is pulled up onto team. Team practice starts at 12 hours a week. MyMeetScores shows that this gym has a whole lot more upper level girls and this gym recently won a bunch of state USAG gym awards.

Complicating matters is that Gym A is much "shinier" than Gym B. Gym A has a lot of extra stuff they do as well, like they have rock climbing, and a huge indoor playground and are building a pool for indoor swim lessons. No matter what, we will be involved with Gym A, they have a toddler gym program for my other DD and Gym B doesn't. I'm trying to help my older DD separate the gym from the bonuses by pointing out that she can still go the indoor playground, etc without having to do gym there, but I think she's getting dazzled.

Questions to ask:
- How many meets do their gymnasts usually go to, lower and upper levels? How many are out of town and how far?
- are meet fees included in the money fees or are they separate?
- what kind of parent participation, fund raisers, etc do they have?

Any advice? Questions I should ask? Things I should look for in the trials?
Thanks!

After having a 4/5 year old competing at local meets and state last season I began wishing they didn't truly compete until level 4 at her gym. It was just a lot for little ones even though it was only 3 meets. I think there is much value in 9 hours a week working on form and building a strong foundation vs learning routines.

We are currently moving gyms. I think our new one doesn't compete until L4. They have a couple in house meets to get the little ones experience.

I will say last year we went to a meet and the L2's were on a Sunday night. They didn't finish the meet until well past 10p. Most of those girls were kindergarten age. I would hate to have been their teachers or their parents come Monday morning....

I would ask how much uptraining do they do. Especially Gym A. If she competes L2, will she be allowed to train L3 skills? Also, how move ups are decided? Does she need to get a certain score to move up to L3, or is it skill-based?
Overall, sounds like Gym B is a better option. I agree with @Beth, it's better to spend time on foundation, than drilling L2 skills for a year.

Gym B. Don't waste time polishing and competing the lower levels if it isn't required. There is no reason to compete the skills at level 2. Training level 3 and up is much better time and money spent.

If gym B has more upper level girls and does better at the upper levels, then I would say chances are good you will end up there eventually if your daughter sticks with it. Changing gyms is hard, so why put yourself through it unnecessarily? As to your question about meet fees being included... no. Not a chance. Figure at least $100 per meet, possibly more, for meet fees plus coaches fees (to pay the coaches for the time they spend at the meet). Plus there will probably be a competition leo and warm-up to purchase.

In general, the consensus here on CB is that it is better to wait to compete... more time to work on skills without having to learn routines, plus avoiding the unnecessary expense. My DD started competing at the equivalent of current level 2 and I do think there are some advantages... at that level, it is all about just the fun of competing, which is nice. Also, if there's a sibling who is always having soccer games or dance recitals or whatever, those early meets are a nice time to get to celebrate your gymnast. So I wouldn't necessarily choose a gym (or not choose a gym) just because of the level they start competing. But given the other info, I would say B is your best choice. Sign your DD up for swimming lessons at the other place when the pool is ready. I wish I had kept my kids in swimming lessons when they were younger. They can both swim, but neither knows any of the "real" strokes and now it's hard to find the time for them to learn, especially my gymnast.

Any ideas how to explain to a 6yr old why long term benefits are important? I'm pretty sure I could get her to be okay with holding off on competing, since they do have one in house she could do. But, I'm not sure I can get her to see past all the extras they have at the one gym and be able to compare gymnastics to gymnastics.

Let her try out both. Something else may come to light that will sway one or both of you in a certain direction. If, after she visits both, you are convinced that gym B is the best choice while she still loves A (or vice versa), I'm sure you can find a way to "sway" her... talk about an upcoming event that she will be invited to if she goes to gym B, or a new friend from gym B she can schedule a playdate with, or how exciting it is that the really good ice cream place is on the way home from gym B and some days you can stop for a special treat... or whatever. Surely she can still be manipulated at 6? ;) If not, you'll just have to resort to the "Because I said so, that's why!" excuse. Sure, we all swore we'd never use that one, but as a last resort...

Gym A sounds more recreational. We have a gym in our area that sounds a lot like it. They are a gym/dance/swim combo. It's not very competitive.
I'd go with B, personally. Sounds like more of a focus on gymnastics and have a solid view of how they work.

You can have her try both, but that's tricky. You risk her loving one, then breaking her heart with choosing the other. I just did this with schools, and DD has been devastated with my choice.

Don't worry about explaining it. Just let her know that her gym will make her the best gymnast (whatever that means to you).

Well, tonight was our trial session at gym B. She loved it, the coach, the other girls, even the conditioning. It was almost twice as long as any time she's spent in the gym before and she's very behind in form, strength, and skills. She's only done back handsprings once or twice on the tumble track with heavy spotting and her class is working on ROBHSs, but the coach is confident she will catch up.

As it turns out, Gym B is adding a level 2 team and most of the girls in the preteam class are going to do that.

So, I guess my job is to try to convince her that she doesn't really need to do the trial session at gym A after all!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back