WAG Gabby Douglas and Chow split again

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Geddert's more to do with monetary issues though. He wants to make sure he gets a percentage of any earnings including national team funds and scholarships (for a period of 2yrs of leaving him I think). He makes all the girls in certain groups (potential stars, and the high level girls) sign. This is something he started to try and make parents do after 2012. Not sure how many girls/parents signed on that.

Sounds like Chow just wants a commitment, to make sure you don't leave right before the O.

To my earlier statements about gabby being rude and manner less, I will say that my only experience with her was 2yrs ago and hopefully she has matured and learned some in that time

Apparently Chow was trying to make everyone sign 2 year contracts so no one could leave from now until Rio (since so many of his top gymnasts were leaving), Gabby's mum kicked up a stink and they left and she's training at Buckeyes Gymnastics.

Dunno -- can you comment on this?

I'd be curious to know the terms of said contract. What would the damages be? As long as someone is willing to pay damages, she can still walk. No court would enforce specific performance in a case like this.

I'd be curious to know the terms of said contract. What would the damages be? As long as someone is willing to pay damages, she can still walk. No court would enforce specific performance in a case like this.
I think you are clearly correct about the specific performance. But -- damages would be impossible to prove. Wouldn't they? If X gymnast had stayed with me her results would have been the same or better? Strikes me as an unenforceable clause in every way -- if indeed it is true to begin with.

I would guess the damages are something along the lines of team fees for two years plus, but it would be hard to make whatever the "plus" is not look like a penalty.

I get that she may be socially awkward.....but she should still have enough manners to say "Excuse me"....I mean really, it takes no social skills for that. It's not like a conversation, it's just good manners....which I find her lacking in. Sorry, but don't find that a good enough explanation for her bad manners. --btw, this was a year after the O, so plenty of time for some PR guy to teach her rudimentary manners.
If you're not socially awkward, it's impossible to understand how *hard* "simple" things like "excuse me" or "thank you" can be. If you are socially awkward, it's excruciatingly difficult to say those things - they feel forced, unnatural, and you feel like when you do force them out, everyone is judging how you said it because your brain convinces you that they know you're awkward and can't do it. The rational side of your brain knows they're paying very little attention to those things, but the emotional side wins these battles.

While I would not have climbed over you, I would have sat there until you got up or moved to a position where I could easily get by. I would have continued waiting, even if I had to pee really badly.

It's probably not intended to be enforced. I get the impression the elite coaching circle is small, and they all know each other. The existence of the contract is probably sufficient to keep the other coaches from taking the girl.

I would guess the damages are something along the lines of team fees for two years plus, but it would be hard to make whatever the "plus" is not look like a penalty.
Right. Damages could only be fees. Which is not why these coaches want the elites to stay with them.

It's probably not intended to be enforced. I get the impression the elite coaching circle is small, and they all know each other. The existence of the contract is probably sufficient to keep the other coaches from taking the girl.
Dunno? you say what on this?

I can see why he would have a contract. It is incredibly difficult to coach an elite athlete, and then if they LEAVE right on the verge of success, the athlete still gets success but the coach who trained them doesn't, which sucks.

I heard Geddert talk about his contract and how it is a 1-yr notice if you are leaving (for elites only). His reasoning was that once you spend all that time training them (literally their entire life if they started at your gym), you deserve more than a one-day goodbye. So you pay for a full year still at his gym if you take their training elsewhere. It also gives them time to figure out WHY you want to leave, which sometimes helps to resolve the problem.

I don't blame Chow for having a contract. If they don't want to sign it, they leave, which is what Gabby did. This is NOT just a "service" you are paying for. It is so much more when you are a coach. Your entire life goes into it. You are not doing as much physical work as the elite athlete, but you are using your mental and emotional abilities to their fullest, not to mention the preparation and training you need to even attempt it. And then a kid can up and leave and give the glory to some other schlub!!!!

I can see why he would have a contract. It is incredibly difficult to coach an elite athlete, and then if they LEAVE right on the verge of success, the athlete still gets success but the coach who trained them doesn't, which sucks.

I heard Geddert talk about his contract and how it is a 1-yr notice if you are leaving (for elites only). His reasoning was that once you spend all that time training them (literally their entire life if they started at your gym), you deserve more than a one-day goodbye. So you pay for a full year still at his gym if you take their training elsewhere. It also gives them time to figure out WHY you want to leave, which sometimes helps to resolve the problem.

I don't blame Chow for having a contract. If they don't want to sign it, they leave, which is what Gabby did. This is NOT just a "service" you are paying for. It is so much more when you are a coach. Your entire life goes into it. You are not doing as much physical work as the elite athlete, but you are using your mental and emotional abilities to their fullest, not to mention the preparation and training you need to even attempt it. And then a kid can up and leave and give the glory to some other schlub!!!!
I do see your point. I actually just looked at Geddert's website -- he asks for the one year notice for level 10s also.

I should have been more specific with my comment. My comment was directed more toward the comment about wanting monetary compensation on national team or scholarship funds for up to two years of leaving a gym. I never thought that if my child were to get a scholarship for college, I would need to pay the gym a portion of that money. Perhaps I am naive or too green.

I agree that coaches deserve more than a one-day goodbye. But I do feel, at that level (elite), if a gymnast/family decides to leave, that decision hasn't been taken lightly. It sounds like, from what I have read on the board, coaches, families, and gymnasts of elites all give so much time, energy, money into that level of training.

I also remember a thread a while back talking about elites leaving Chow's because the were paying a hefty tuition and Chow was too busy with Gabby and the Olympics to train them.

TBH, I'm pretty sure a good lawyer could crush such a contract like that in court similar to injury waivers.

I do see your point. I actually just looked at Geddert's website -- he asks for the one year notice for level 10s also.

From Geddert web site, under policies: "Once an athlete has attained the status of Level 10, there has been significant time and effort invested into their gymnastics. For this reason we transition from a 30 day notice to a full one year notice of departure (kind of like joining most health clubs). IF an athlete retires from the sport, this commitment will be waived, thus it only applies should they decide to take our years of training and contributions to another gymnastics club within the state of Michigan."

From Geddert web site, under policies: "Once an athlete has attained the status of Level 10, there has been significant time and effort invested into their gymnastics. For this reason we transition from a 30 day notice to a full one year notice of departure (kind of like joining most health clubs). IF an athlete retires from the sport, this commitment will be waived, thus it only applies should they decide to take our years of training and contributions to another gymnastics club within the state of Michigan."

What health club requires a year notice before quitting?? Lol

What health club requires a year notice before quitting?? Lol
Many require a one year contract. I have noticed less and less of this in recent years, but I do recall this being very common about 10-15 years ago. It may still be common in certain areas.

ETA: a one year contract is, however, different from requiring a one year notice of intent to leave...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back