Competition Season Coming Soon

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

RisingGymnast

Coach
Gymnast
I can imagine that some of us are feeling the pressure of competition season coming up. I am really anxious. I'm excited to get our leos and warm ups and get out on the competition floor, but I'm nervous that I won't get my skills in time.

I was previously Xcel Gold, and am working really hard to be platinum. I only have 2 years left of competing USAG so of course my goal is to get as far as I can. There are a few skills holding me back... on almost each event.

Has anyone ever not moved up? How did you handle it? If you have always progressed, how would you handle it?

I was an xcel gold gymnast last year and recently moved up to xcel platinum after tryouts this year! It was really great to meet new teammates and have a new coach! This year we are trying to get all new skills for competition season along with individualized floor and beam routines. I think that the first few meets will be a little nerve wracking, but it will get easier after a couple of meets. Even if you dont get all of your skills made on the first few meets, you have the rest of the season to keep working on them.

Congrats on moving up! And thank you for your response!

I think my problem is that I won't be able to compete platinum without my skills. There's nothing I can substitute for a kip, where as tumbling passes I could get away with doing my gold pass. My gym is a new gym and our coach made it clear that we won't have watered down routines to meet requirements. I totally understand because I want to represent the gym as best I can.

It's possible I could start the season off gold and move into platinum (I scored out of gold last year but I'm wondering if I will need to do it again... Situation is rather complicated). I'm just afraid that I won't have the time to work new skills if I'm doing a bunch of routines during the season.

I spent 2 years in gold, I handled it pretty well, I didn't compete the first season due to an injury. I was of course mad at first but I got over it. The most important thing is that you're improving
Thank you! I actually only competed one meet of gold because my gym closed during the season. I did high school gymnastics though so I still think competing the same skills (and higher ones) counts. Not really but I'd like to think so. Thank you though, this is putting me more at ease.

Up until level 9 I always progressed. I skipped old level 5 and almost skipped level 7. There isn't much to handling progressing, you kinda just train and keep going. It's actually pretty much the same with not moving levels, you train and try to progress. The disappointment is a bit different (obviously), and all I can really say on that is focus on what you are improving on skill wise, not necessarily by level. I was level 9 three years in a row, but I didn't let that get me down. The first year I didn't compete that well. I was injured the second year and didn't even register a USAG # I don't think, and the third year (this year) I registered right before the meet season and competed 1 event in two meets. This year was my last year JO. My goal was to finish high school doing gymnastics and compete at state and I did it. :) For the past couple years I've just focused on improving my bars skills and trying to get my ankle healthy (unfortunately it's not, but oh well) rather than what level of skills I was actually doing. Training has always been fun for me; not that competing isn't fun, exciting, and rewarding, but for me the training and learning of new skills and making little improvements is better.

When i was in level 8 i stayed back for a year because i was hurt for a lot of the season. I am also staying. Back this year, ill be a second year level 9

Dont worry about where your coaches put you. The level doesnt really matter. What matters is that your doing the sport you love. You coaches know where you will be best at and will do everything to help you be where you need to be

Think of it this way... if you dont move up this year, youll have a major advantage and will do amazing at meets

Thank you! I have definitely thought of it this way. You are right though, my coaches will know what to do and I trust them. I'm working hard and whatever happens happens. Thank you!

I moved pretty insane so I'll tell my little story

When I was 8 I started gymnastics

When I was 8 I did my first year of level 4 (at a gym with 3 out of 6 events)

When I was 9 I did my second year of level 4 (at a gym with no floor)

When I was 10 I did level 4 for a third time and ended up winning states guess it all clicked.

When I was 11 I did 5 and came in 4th at states only because I messed up on my last event (would have gotten

When I was 12 I did the craziest skip of my live I did level 8

When I was 13 I did level 9

And now I am going to compete level 9 again

Note - my birthday is in November so basically I put the
Ages I competed as technically but for the season I was actually older.

Wow that is a HUGE jump! What an accomplishment.

Unfortunately, having done gymnastics for 2 years and having 2 years of club left... I feel that I don't have the time to repeat levels. If I had 3 or even 4 years left, I would have no problem repeating a level. It's a personal thing I suppose. I have come to terms with the possibility of repeating gold, understanding that if I do, I will probably do very well. I still am working hard to move up, but I'll be fine if I don't.

I have repeated levels an skipped. I went level 1 to level 3 then to 4 then 5 with I repeated. I then did level 6,7,8 in one year then 9 this year.

I did old 4, old 5, skipped new 5&6 to go to 7, and this year I'm repeating 7. With optionals, like level 7, it's not bad to repeat because you can upgrade what you can and keep other things the same while uptraining for level 8. Some people repeat every level, some skip, some do both. It just depends on who you are as a gymnast.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back