WAG Hip Flexors

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm not in any wayman expert, but my dd was told to sit in a straddle and lift one leg, repeat x25, then the other leg. Hands just sitting not holding weight.if that makes sense.

To stretch my DD's PT has her lay on her tummy and bend at the knee. Then, one leg at a time, he pulls her leg up by the knee while pushing down gently on her lower back. He taught me how to do it so that I can repeat it at home since this is an ongoing issue for her.

^^^^ my PT also gave me this exercise. Two others my rhythmic coach gave me were...
1. Sit in pike and bend one knee up towards you. Put your hand under the bend in your knee and hold your toes. It needs to be opposite hand to leg. Then straighten your leg slowly and rotate your leg both ways.
This works hip flexors and turn out.
2. Lay on your tummy. Bend both legs so your feet touch between your legs. So your feet are flat on the floor. Move your feet closer until you feel a stretch, then try to open your hips wider while keeping your feet on the floor.
This one can be done pretty much anywhere. As I'm quite bendy anyway, I like to stretch between turns on bars and floor. So this is one I use.

I also find for dynamic stretching dish straddles work.

stradllsm.jpg

pikellsm.jpg

For lifts or holds. Lifts are easier. I prefer flat palms though and make sure the torso is leaning over ideally.

To stretch my DD's PT has her lay on her tummy and bend at the knee. Then, one leg at a time, he pulls her leg up by the knee while pushing down gently on her lower back. He taught me how to do it so that I can repeat it at home since this is an ongoing issue for her.

This is good but I'd add some knee flexion and extension once the knee is gently lifted with some pressure at the base of the buttocks. Try 15 gentle repetitions that flex with light resistance until a comfortable stretching sensation is felt and then extend with light resistance that progresses to heavy resistance the nearer the leg gets to fully extended.

Check the effectiveness by sliding into good and bad side splits.

Always do both legs........ and keep it gentle to avoid injury to the flexors, S.I joint, and lower lumbar region.

I'm not in any wayman expert, but my dd was told to sit in a straddle and lift one leg, repeat x25, then the other leg. Hands just sitting not holding weight.if that makes sense.

My youngest dd has to do 3 sets of 15 for each leg and both legs together as part of her homework, when she does them she tends to lean back slightly when doing both legs together, I do remind her to sit forward a bit more. It is important not to lean back? How does this exercise help them?

It encourages more hip compression.

TBH, it just means her hip flexors aren't strong enough yet. When they get stronger, she'll be able to lean forward more.

That sounds about the right volume.
It also is more challenging/aggravating leaning forward. It's more difficult.

It encourages more hip compression.

TBH, it just means her hip flexors aren't strong enough yet. When they get stronger, she'll be able to lean forward more.

That sounds about the right volume.
It also is more challenging/aggravating leaning forward. It's more difficult.

She is able to lean forward a little bit , probably a little bit more than the picture above but she just didn't want to bother as she said it was harder like that and she would get stronger /more flexible doing it the way she was, I told her it was supposed to be more challenging as she has been doing this set of exercises for a while now and she wouldn't improve much without leaning forward if she was able to, she seemed to have not trouble doing these lifts while leaning forward and placing her hands flat on the ground (she used to just put her fingers on the floor).

Does it matter how wide her straddle is while doing these exercises? Sometimes she does a small straddle and sometime she does a big straddle - depends on her mood that day.

Do these help with the splits at all? My dd can get left and right splits to the floor after stretching and is nearly there with her box splits but they also have to do splits holds as part of there daily stretching/conditioning at home.

What does the pike version help with? Dd hasn't done these as far as I know.

one that my dds PT gave her is to do like a split but not go all the way down, hold your hips so that they are perfectly square. Hold for 30s come out and repeat

Another one they have her is to lay on her back with her knees bent, feet flat on the ground then she lift hips up leaving feet flat on the ground and holding that for 10s and repeat.

For straddle-L, I like an angle of 75-90 degrees which is about the angle you would use for a straddle-L. You can play with an angle up to 105-120 degrees and it should be more difficult. It would be good for something like a jumping straddle pike jump.

Doing it in pike, helps with pike compression. Think L-hang/sit, V-hang/sit, Straddle-V/manna, pike/double pike, basket swing, etc

I doubt they will do a WHOLE lot for your splits. Doing them in straddle might strengthen some of the hip and glute musculature but front splits are mainly about hamstring and quad flexibility. Middle splits are glute/hip mobility which is somewhat dependent on pelvis structure. They'll hip with that to some degree but hips like shoulders are pretty complicated.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back