WAG a L6 girl can't do a FH????

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

pumpkinpie

I am coaching a girls team due to illness if a coach. Girls are all Level 6.

There is one girl who can do everything, but not a front handspring. She recently moved here from Europe (don't know which country but would guess someting like Netherlands) She might never have trained a FH or whatever, she is just not able to do it. But except this, she is the best and also strongest gymnast on the team. She can do a FH stepout and a bounder on tumbl trak, but she can't do it on floor. She always squats down.
Her FH on Vault is good, though and she can also do a Front Walkover.

She can do a running front tuck perfectly. Also two tucks in a row on air track. She is a strong "tucker".

Should I spend time with her training a FH or just do FT FT?

I'm no coach, but a fhs is a very basic skill that she might want/need later on in her gymnastics career. I'd let her do more ft ft, but Id also make her get a decent fhs.

Sounds really weird to me, but yes, take the time to teach her a FH. It's a progressive skill which she will need either directly or indirectly, currently or in the future. With her other skills, I can't imagine she doesn't already have it, but it shouldn't take her long, and then you get to look like a hero for teaching her a 'new' skill! Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. :)

Sounds really weird to me, but yes, take the time to teach her a FH. It's a progressive skill which she will need either directly or indirectly, currently or in the future. With her other skills, I can't imagine she doesn't already have it, but it shouldn't take her long, and then you get to look like a hero for teaching her a 'new' skill! Good luck, and let us know how it turns out. :)

I worked on it with her today.

She just has absolutely no power in it

On tumbl trak and air trak she can do it, but not that she can really generate power or something. It's just slow and crooked.
But her bounders are great with a nice rebound. Is it possible to do Bounder Front Tuck instead of the FH? Or is it very hard? I have never seen this, though...

Does she do her handstand and cartwheel on different legs? It seems really strange if she has a powerful round off and can do a bounder (flyspring?) that she couldn't do a handspring unless she has really stiff shoulders or is hurdling on the wrong leg (if her handstand and cartwheel are opposite legs).

Does she do her handstand and cartwheel on different legs? It seems really strange if she has a powerful round off and can do a bounder (flyspring?) that she couldn't do a handspring unless she has really stiff shoulders or is hurdling on the wrong leg (if her handstand and cartwheel are opposite legs).

No she does everything with her right leg. Cartwheel, Round-Off, Turns...

Her flyspring is good on airtrack, she hasn't tried it on spring floor so far.

Her shoulders are flexible enough, she has a decent bridge as well as a front walkover!

' It's just slow and crooked.'
Without seeing it, I'll guess the crooked comes from not putting her hands side by side on the floor (Tinsica), and the slow from just not knowing how to do one yet?
I would start from the beginning with her, and she should progress quickly. You said she has a FWO, so have her do them by walking into them, then speed them up until she can run into them. Have her start on a raised surface like a panel mat and FHS off of that onto the floor (with a spot at first is always good). The extra distance to the floor gives her time to press her hips forward, get her feet under her, and rebound tall. I would also teach a headspring first, but if you aren't comfortable teaching those, you could pass on them and the other drills should suffice. Keep at it, keep us posted, and good luck. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back