WAG Back tuck vs BHS BHS on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

L

lisiflex

Why is a back tuck on beam harder than a BHS Series?

I know many L9 girls and all of them
say that the BHS Series is a lot harder than a back tuck!

If you can tuck easily on floor and are exact on the landing it shouldn't be that hard! Am I wrong?

My daughter got the back tuck fairly quickly on beam. A BHS BHS is harder in my opinion because you are doing two skills back to back. If you connected a bt to something before or after, its difficulty will increase. But certainly if you are comparing one skill to another (i.e., back tuck to bhs on beam), a bhs might be easier.

Thanks for your answer!
Do you think a BHS is a lot easier than a BT?

Really depends on the kid. Mine, bizarrely, expects to get her layout stepout on beam before she gets a back tuck. She has always had some trouble with tucks, both front and back.

Thanks for your answer!
Do you think a BHS is a lot easier than a BT?

Generally, speaking, and even according to the USAG, a bhs is easier. A bhs is a B skill and a back tuck, pike, backlayout step out, is a C. A bhs is also I think required in L6 but back tucks, blo step outs don't come in until L8 or L9.

I always found a back tuck on beam far easier to do than a back handspring. But each is individual.

Why is a back tuck on beam harder than a BHS Series?

I know many L9 girls and all of them
say that the BHS Series is a lot harder than a back tuck!

If you can tuck easily on floor and are exact on the landing it shouldn't be that hard! Am I wrong?

Some kids have an easier time when they don't have to put their hands down. I think some of this is probably in part due to the oft mentioned "vestibular". For other kids who don't block well it also makes sense from a mechanics sense that they may loose ground in a BHS and this may be less an issue in BT. Ideally I would think most good coaches would address these issues during the compulsory years, however, I think we need to remember that as girls grow a lot of the mechanics of tumbling change as well. My older gymnastic child has messed around with various back tumbling series on beam as she has grown. Right now she insists that BLO-BLO just flows so much better than anything else and she will probably use that for her next L10 season. She loved BHS-BHS-BT once (and loved it enough to take the deduction to do it back in L8).

Having said that I'm not sure if I am actually answering your question because I don't think you are actually comparing the difficulty of BT-BT with BHS-BHS on beam. If I am understanding your post correctly, it sounds like you are comparing the difficulty with an acro series to a single acro skill. (If you intended to compare BT-BT to BHS-BHS then you can disregard the remainder of my post.) The problem I see a lot of kids (both in practice at my daughters' gym and at meets where our older gymnastic child competes) encounter with series is that they fail to complete/land the first (or second) element of the series in such a way that they are in a position to land the second (or third) element. If they are doing only a single element then they may incur deductions because of their form but be able to hang on and stay on the beam in spite of that. This is much harder to do when they need to connect directly into another element and then land that. When tumbling in a series then each element needs to land squarely and needs to set up the next element.

If we are talking beam, this isn't so.

It has been a few years since my daughter did L6 and L7. I know she did a bhs bhs in L7 and some of her teammates did just a bhs. So, I thought the new L6 would now have that requirement. I still think bhs are done earlier in the levels than back tucks, on beam.

Yes BHS are done earlier. It is now an option at level 5 to do the BHS on beam. I don't think BTs can be done until level 8, but am not positive on that.

A BHS series fulfills the series special requirement though, so it's not really an apples to apples comparison. It's harder to do a BHS-tuck series than a BHS-BHS series!

DD prefers a standing BT to BHS BHS. But they don't fill the same requirements.

This year she does a BHS BLO (combines the scariness of both apparently) AND a standing BT.

Both skills are relatively easy. The bhs series is a matter of learning a quality bhs and letting the series happen in the rhythm of the first bhs. Slowing down only makes it harder.

A back tuck has has less going on as it's simply a straight jump into set for the tuck. The landing get's to be a problem when looking into the long term because kids will land wrong and get bruised feet that remain a problem for a long time.

Season long..... I'd say the bhs series is easier to maintain.

I stated L6 may require a bhs but back tucks, layout step outs are not allowed until L8 or L9. Care to elaborate on what is so?

I interpreted your post as saying bhs is a required beam skill for L6 and my response was in saying that it is not a required skill for L6. Did I misunderstand what you were saying?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back