Parents From Big Fish to Little Fish

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
I am interested in hearing from parents who have taken their gymnast from an environment where they were the big fish in a little pond and placed them in a "big pond". How did your child respond? Did it hinder their progress? Change their attitude toward the sport? Did they rise to the challenge or disappear into the crowd?

We did and it has been amazing. The training is better, the program is more focused on the team and set up to help all the girls achieve their goals. Since the number of athletes is more plentiful, the opportunity for her to have more role models and girls to look up to has increased greatly. It has been very good for her and she's responded in kind. Being a big fish is only good if you never leave the pond and we all leave the pond to compete, so long term I felt it was better for her to be exposed to higher level, more accomplished athletes daily. Neither of us has been disappointed.

Its been hard for my DD, but definitely for the best. She had bought everything her old coach said lock, stock and barrel and is taking time to admit to seeing the value of a different perspective. Its hard when they have been coddled and when the old coach knows everything about them - but there are many things that I already see improving, even if she won't admit it yet! And she had some fear issues that old coaches approach was actually making worse (not coaches fault...just didn't work with DD).

For my daughter, it has slowed her progress a bit this summer because she had to learn new warm ups, new training drills, (harder), and the new, bigger gym doesn't let them rely on spotting as much (they do spot, but like the kids to use drills more so they can be independent...) so she took time to get used to that...her new coach also coached her when she was 7-9 so knew what she was capable of and has given her a little push here and there.... She's still going to be ready to compete the next level (8) as planned - and has gotten some skills that she wouldn't even have tried at the old gym...

She's working now with a group of about 10 girls L8 and up (which in our area is quite large), 25+ level 6 and up, and they work leaps, drills, etc up level more. Some kids who have moved to this gym appeared to "slow their progress " in the sense of repeating levels, but a couple of years later are much stronger gymnasts than they would have been had they stayed at her old gym...I've been watching over those years as my boys were there. Old, smaller gym really had "one way" of doing things - it was great in compulsories...but not as good in optionals - plus its nice for her to have older/more advanced girls around. More coaches, too...

She still wants to quit half the time and is afraid to compete for a different team, etc.....but there were things going on that I didn't want her involved in, so even if she doesn't come around its for the best - and if she really wants to be a gymnast she needs to be at the bigger gym as she moved into upper optionals...

Offshoot to the original ask: has anyone taken their kid to a small small pond filled only with big fish? Like a gym specializing in just a handful of big fish only and no one else?

We did and it's been a very good move. DD was hesitant at first. She didn't want to switch gyms initially, and after that first practice, she said, "everyone's better than me." She was never lacking confidence at her old gym :p.

But, having so many really talented girls her age, and even younger (when she had been the youngest at her level by more than 2 years at the old gym) has been great for her. They push each other, in a good way. And she has L10s to look up to. Seeing them do some amazing L10 and elite skills has given her the drive to work hard. Those girls are also great role models. If she stayed at the old gym, she would be one of the highest level kids, if not the highest, at age 10. I think they need those older/better girls to see their own future potential.

It's taken a year, but it was def a move for the better. She has gone from the weakest on her team to top 2/3 and she is flourishing!

I am interested in hearing from parents who have taken their gymnast from an environment where they were the big fish in a little pond and placed them in a "big pond". How did your child respond? Did it hinder their progress? Change their attitude toward the sport? Did they rise to the challenge or disappear into the crowd?

Our journey so far...Big fat fish to little fish and we wouldn't have it any other way!

OG (age 10) training level 8 responded very well to this experience. YG (age 8) training level 6 not so much. The biggest change was adapting to a different coaching style. At their current gym, the gymnasts drive their own bus controlling what path they will take and the speed at which they arrive at their destination. It is a HIGHLY individualized approach, but still team centered. YG spent last season holding out for being micromanaged like she was at the old gym, but OG couldn't get enough and even conditions/up trains on one of her days off.

Both DD's have made great progress, but YG can't see the forest through the trees yet. Our current gym definitely accepts and compliments both DD's attitudes toward gymnastics. However, the last part of your thread is the part that I wasn't prepared for...the level of competition is FIERCE!!! OG struggled all season with intimidation. Not by her team, but by the caliber gymnast that she competed against. It was hit or miss. She ended up doing very well at a couple of meets and not so good at others. The intimidation reared it's nasty head at the state meet and without her team behind her (only one in her age group), she crumbled. Now, she knows not to concentrate on anyone else and focus on doing her personal best, especially at meets!

I've enjoyed watching my DD's grow from little fish to medium-sized fish :) Most of all I appreciate that there is still room to grow and can't wait for the season to start!!!

We did and it's been a very good move. DD was hesitant at first. She didn't want to switch gyms initially, and after that first practice, she said, "everyone's better than me." She was never lacking confidence at her old gym :p.

But, having so many really talented girls her age, and even younger (when she had been the youngest at her level by more than 2 years at the old gym) has been great for her. They push each other, in a good way. And she has L10s to look up to. Seeing them do some amazing L10 and elite skills has given her the drive to work hard. Those girls are also great role models. If she stayed at the old gym, she would be one of the highest level kids, if not the highest, at age 10. I think they need those older/better girls to see their own future potential.

This was exactly our situation. Moving was very necessary and has been good for DD.

Offshoot to the original ask: has anyone taken their kid to a small small pond filled only with big fish? Like a gym specializing in just a handful of big fish only and no one else?

Interesting question :) do gyms like these even exist? How would it make money/stay in business?

To answer the original question: we ended up moving my then 6yo DD from a gym where she was the "best" in her group to another gym where she was clearly behind her peers.

It has been both hard and good for her. She loves the new gym so much more and is thriving gymnastics wise. She does feel bad sometimes as she always is playing catchup to the other girls. They have been moving her up and putting her with girls who have trained longer and for more hours. She's doing a good job catching up though and I expect you won't be able to tell by Christmas that she was ever behind :)

This gym has a lot of growth potential with many national level girls. I expect it to be our long term gym home.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back