WAG How long for kip?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mOm2gymnast<3

Coach
Proud Parent
My dd is 7 lv3. She has her lv4 skills but kip. Today, she got to kip without spot 3 times. After the 3 times, she couldn't make anymore. I can tell she's becoming frustrated. :/ she had been doing kip once/ week on average for about 15-20 min each time. any advice? How long does it usually take a gymnast to get this skill?

It's so individual. My personal experience is limited to our gym, but I have seen girls "get" their kip, then not be able to do it again for months. I have seen girls take a long time to get it, be close for several months... Finally do it and have it consistently ever since. I have seen girls get it, do it once or twice/wk, missing it all other times, getting it more and more until finally it stuck. I have seen girls get it, have it for a while, lose it for a while, get it again.... So individual.
I hope your DDs kip gets consistent soon!! :)

It really does depend on the kid. Some get it seemingly very easily, after only a few tries. My daughter took months to get hers, had it down well and then lost it for months. She is finally getting it sometimes with straight arms on both low and high bars, other times her arms are bent but she has made progress. Coach thinks she will have it by meet season (in one month- yikes!!)

I learned to not ask about dd kip because it became a source of frustration for her. With good practice using the right technique your daughter will get it.

took both my boys and my girl months/year to get the first one after starting to train drills...then a few more months to get more than 1/2 the attempts....all I can say is once its really there its there and then you move on to the next thing they get and lose and get (right now 2 of my three are at that stage with giants...)

Like others have said it is really individual. Some get it really fast others take much long. Some get it fast then lose it for a while and then it comes back. It took my DD not long at all to get it the first time, maybe two months, but then she got grips and grew 3 inches in one summer and it took another 3-4 months to get it consistently.

This is the only skill that has caused several parents of children in my sons training group to agree to a friendly wager. The parent of the first successful kipper, will take the rest of us out to dinner. All of us think we have made a safe bet that it wont be our kid!!

From what I've seen, it can take a long time, and then be inconsistent for awhile longer. That was my daughter's experience. From beginning to consistent kipping, it took about a year for the low bar kip, and about 3-4 months for the high bar kip.

Oh the super fun kip...
My DD got hers in about 2 months and once she got it, she did it fairly consistently (never lost it). She did have to relearn in when she got grips.

My dd is 7 lv3. She has her lv4 skills but kip. Today, she got to kip without spot 3 times. After the 3 times, she couldn't make anymore. I can tell she's becoming frustrated. :/ she had been doing kip once/ week on average for about 15-20 min each time. any advice? How long does it usually take a gymnast to get this skill?

It varies widely. She might get it next practice. She might get it next week. She might get it next month. She might get it next year. She might have it consistently for a week, then not be able to make it for a month, then get it again the next month, and then lose it for a week or two next year. etc.

Ugh, my daughter has been working on it for almost a year. Last on her team level to get it. Got her long hang (inconsistently) and finally last Thursday got her low bar kip! She made it 6 times and her coaches recorded it, everyone was so excited! She has not made it since :(

Just be patient it will come just show your support. It's all up to her. It will click when you or she least expects it. Just support her and encourage her to keep trying. After this you both will be able to laugh about it and then on to harder skills. Clear hip, giants etc, and don't let her see you worrying.

Mine got it consistently last summer (got it 75% of the time for a month) and after a one week vacation, she lost it for 6 months. She spent that entire 6 months kipping up almost, but falling back. There was a lot of tears, anger and frustration.
Patience.......help her keep trying....don't put the pressure on cuz the coaches are already doing that.

Mine got hers pretty quickly. I can't remember exactly but it seemed like within a month of starting to consistently train it, she had it down. She lost it for a couple days (after competing it for an entire season!!!) after we were gone for a week on vacation but it came back.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back