MAG New comp gear -- noooooooo!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

profmom

Proud Parent
Our program director decided last season that our comp gear was too generic and boring. We've just been put on notice that we're getting all new everything this year, including warmups. The worst part is that he's picked that silver and black singlet from GK, but he hates the idea of black pommel pants -- so he's checking to see if we can get custom-made silver pommel pants. I just hope he doesn't expect us to try to find socks that match.

All I can say is that I am grateful that DD will be able to squeeze into her comp leo for one more year.

Silver pommel pants? Gosh. Is he worried about chalk handprint decorations on the black ones? I thought we were going to have to get new stuff this year, which wasn't great as I have bought 2 sets in the last 2 years, but happily it looks like we will get one more year before the gym changes. One gym round here has a dramatic black and red-flame leotard with red trousers and it looks great. Our boys trousers are cream, which don't show the chalk but you have to watch them like a hawk if they eat anything before changing!

I know that at the upper levels they frown upon black pommel pants and want the kids to wear the lighter ones. We have had silver/gray for the past 3 years. Kids wear white or black socks, and it works really well. Not sure what we are doing this year, but I think a couple of us parents are going to be doing it so it should be fun. We did get permission to go back to the baby blue rather than the teal (yuck) they have had the past 3 years.

Are we talking a material that would be called silver if on a girl's Leo, or would it be called grey? I can't see my son wearing silver...

We have had black and white pants. I preferred the black. For the older team members you could always tell who handled their own laundry... Their uniforms were always ki d of blue or grey instead of white.

I think D's will have navy this year.

Why do they frown on dark pants for the older boys? In our area black has always seemed the most common.

http://www.gkelite.com/Gymnastics-MensINSTOCK-CompShirts/1835M

That's the singlet, and he wants pommel pants that match the grey/silver accents. Apparently this is a problem, because the accents are not separate dyed cloth, but rather some kind of stamp or imprint that GK won't guarantee being able to match. He hates black pommel pants because they show chalk. Most of the parents are just so excited to get away from white that we would accept ANYTHING. He and the person who handles comp gear orders are having frightening conversations about her looking at swatches from GK over the weekend.

I know at the elite/national level they are not supposed to compete in black. It hides too much apparently so they wear lighter colors. I just remember our coach telling us about it one year, when he made the switch to grey.

This is what we had:
http://www.gkelite.com/Gymnastics-MensINSTOCK-GymnasticsPants/1846M
In the "aluminum"

Interesting. I was thinking the hiding stuff would be a bonus of black. I can see them not allowing it.

My son would wear something called " aluminum" but would totally balk if it was called "silver". He is weird like that.

I know at the elite/national level they are not supposed to compete in black. It hides too much apparently so they wear lighter colors. I just remember our coach telling us about it one year, when he made the switch to grey.

This is what we had:
http://www.gkelite.com/Gymnastics-MensINSTOCK-GymnasticsPants/1846M
In the "aluminum"

The "aluminum" has been considered and rejected because it would look "too weird" if it didn't match the singlet.

I fear for the future of my checkbook! I also think our tiny L4s are going to look rather different in that singlet than Brandon Wynn, LOL!

That is going to be tough! I like the singlets though..but matching that is going to be rather interesting. Keep us posted.

I also think our tiny L4s are going to look rather different in that singlet than Brandon Wynn, LOL!
Too funny. We rejected that singlet because of the business of the pattern on the back. As you can see from my picture, our boys are in mostly black. So it's good to know about darker colors in upper levels (our highest right now is level 6.)

Hmmm, well, I guess we'll see! I think your gear looks sharp, Sce! But surely the boys couldn't object to "pewter." After all, it's almost "iron."

Reactions: sce
My boy has to get new uniforms this year, I am just glad they are waiting till next year to get new warm ups! They are going with Turn gymnastics instead of GK. Turn only does menswear. We also had to buy him new grips and his coach wants an extra pair in the bag just incase. Our colors or black, grey, yellow. I only hope no yellow banana pants and they stick with black pants. Also, where to get matching yellow socks. We wore ALL white socks with black pants and it was so hard sometimes to find all white because most would have a logo or colored toe on the bottom. I had not heard of the no black pants for older levels.

My boy has to get new uniforms this year, I am just glad they are waiting till next year to get new warm ups! They are going with Turn gymnastics instead of GK. Turn only does menswear. We also had to buy him new grips and his coach wants an extra pair in the bag just incase. Our colors or black, grey, yellow. I only hope no yellow banana pants and they stick with black pants. Also, where to get matching yellow socks. We wore ALL white socks with black pants and it was so hard sometimes to find all white because most would have a logo or colored toe on the bottom. I had not heard of the no black pants for older levels.
We wore black socks with black pants. With yellow I'd do the white socks. There are some ncie grey pants. I don't quite understand the Turn styles. The pattern carries down below the waist, which is going to get covered up.

We too now need new uniforms, so much for our beloved black with red. Our gym is city run and they now want us in city colors: blue, white, silver or green. Looks most likely we'll go with white and some blue accents. Though green is interesting as it's not used as much. So many gym have blue!

Our AF singlets carry the pattern all the way down as well. So did our GK ones.....

lilhawkmom- Have you guys used turn before? Another mom and I are helping out with uniforms so we were curious about the quality.

Switching gyms, we are in the "new uniforms two years in a row" category. No clue what the cost is yet, but I did notice on a picture on the wall that they have lighter colors. This will be interesting.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back