Parents Moving to Texas and worried...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymnastMomX2

Proud Parent
We are moving the end of the month to Texas and of course to a new gym. There are two good gyms in the area, although one is much much closer to where we will be living so unless theres something terrible about it we are pretty much set on where she will be going. I called the gym last week and am still waiting on a call back from whoever is in charge of the team but based on scores I could find online it seems that neither of these gyms compete level 6. My DD competed 4 last year (scoring 36s & 37s all year) and then scored out of level 5 a couple weeks after the state meet. Her current gym doesn't compete 5 at all since the new level changes. She just got her level 6 beam routine and floor music and will be learning her floor routine in 2 weeks (its a hand me down from an older optional who got a brand new routine). She is going to be CRUSHED if she has to go back to compulsories this year, she is already upset about moving away and this is just going to make things worse. Also, I think that compulsory season will have already started by the time we get down there (last week of august).

Any ideas on how to reassure DD that it will all be ok no matter what level she has to do? It has been a looooong road to optionals for her (competed level 2, two years at level 3, two years at old 4 and then last year at new 4) and she just turned 11.

Is it unrealistic to think she has a chance at having level 7 routines ready?

If compulsory season already started and she displays great attitude and work ethic, they will probably let her train for level 7 even if she can't compete all 4. If giants aren't worked on in her current practices you might want to think about some privates to get her as close to giants as possible before leaving.

New gym may have their own ideas about floor music, choreography, etc. so she may well not get to use what she has anyway. My understanding of gymnastics in TX is that it is taken pretty seriously and there is stiff competition. Even though it may not be what she wants, having a solid level 5 year while uptraining for 7 may be a good thing. However, if you're just basing your knowledge of their policies on My Meet Scores, you may find that things have changed as coaches figure out how to best use the new levels. DD's gym didn't compete 6 last year but is this year. Certainly learning giants before she gets there would help her case for optionals, if that's do-able.

11 is old enough to talk to her about this, I think. Prepare her for any eventuality and tell her that there will be a lot of unknowns about the move... in gymnastics and lots of other areas too, and all any of you can do is to keep an open mind and try to go with the flow.

Good luck with the move!

Last edited:
We are moving the end of the month to Texas and of course to a new gym. There are two good gyms in the area, although one is much much closer to where we will be living so unless theres something terrible about it we are pretty much set on where she will be going. I called the gym last week and am still waiting on a call back from whoever is in charge of the team but based on scores I could find online it seems that neither of these gyms compete level 6. My DD competed 4 last year (scoring 36s & 37s all year) and then scored out of level 5 a couple weeks after the state meet. Her current gym doesn't compete 5 at all since the new level changes. She just got her level 6 beam routine and floor music and will be learning her floor routine in 2 weeks (its a hand me down from an older optional who got a brand new routine). She is going to be CRUSHED if she has to go back to compulsories this year, she is already upset about moving away and this is just going to make things worse. Also, I think that compulsory season will have already started by the time we get down there (last week of august).

Any ideas on how to reassure DD that it will all be ok no matter what level she has to do? It has been a looooong road to optionals for her (competed level 2, two years at level 3, two years at old 4 and then last year at new 4) and she just turned 11.

all that matters is what she is when she is 15. and how good she is. :)

Tell your daughter to be aggressive and go after what she wants. I did that - kind of so I wouldn't have to hear her complain about her friends moving up. She competed Level 5 last season and will test out of 7 and compete Level 8 in January.

Now, if she would be that aggressive with her chores around the house...

Tell your daughter to be aggressive and go after what she wants. I did that - kind of so I wouldn't have to hear her complain about her friends moving up. She competed Level 5 last season and will test out of 7 and compete Level 8 in January.

Now, if she would be that aggressive with her chores around the house...

a snowball's chance in...lol!

Compulsory season starts mid August. Is there anyway for you to schedule a pre move visit to your choice gym? I think watching a team workout (if that's an option), having your dd evaluated, & discussing your situation face to face with the HC is probably your best option. There are also other programs in TX gymnastics It is possible that these gyms use these programs for gymmies in between lvl 6 & 7.

Thanks everyone.. she has giants on strap bar by herself and I think has done them on a single rail over the pit with a spot, but never by herself yet. Bars is actually her strongest event, she would need to move her bhs up to the high beam and she doesn't have a layout on the floor yet by herself.

I wish we could get out there before the move in 4 weeks to check out the gym, but I'm in NY and won't even be able to go out and pick out a rental house. Luckily I have family a few hours away who are going to scope out some houses for me next week.

Thanks everyone, I'm sure it will all workout somehow.

Out of curiosity, where in TX? I'm in the Austin area.

I was going to say (and some others did already) that she could probably just be in level 7. I was reading the minutes from a recent regional meeting, and it emphasized that level 6 is not a required level. So your dd can most likely train 7 if the gym doesn't compete 6. Good luck!

I'm moving to Austin tgreen!

I finally got ahold of the coach today and she only really asked me about her bar skills, she said they don't compete 6 but she has a group of lower level 7s she could probably place her with, but also warned me that she might not be ready to compete. DD on the other hand now seems super extra motivated to get the skills she's missing, so I guess we will see in a month when we get out there.

Agreed! Austin is a great area and I am glad you were able to communicate with the coach. Good Luck to your daughter and good luck with your move. Texas is a unique place. It is wonderful, friendly, hot, weird, casual and home for me but it will definitely give you all moments of culture shock.

Agreed! Austin is a great area and I am glad you were able to communicate with the coach. Good Luck to your daughter and good luck with your move. Texas is a unique place. It is wonderful, friendly, hot, weird, casual and home for me but it will definitely give you all moments of culture shock.
']

Thanks! I'm excited. I actually grew up in the Southeast Houston area (moved about 10 years ago) but don't really have a ton of experience with Austin at all.

College towns tend to be nice places to live in general. Add to that lots of live music and margaritas. One of my favorite places! My best friend went to grad school there and the year she got her PhD my brother started grad school there, so between them I had a good decade where I had someone to stay with in Austin. I haven't been back since, but would love to go. Oh, and it's an easy drive to San Antonio, which I also love.

I'm moving to Austin tgreen!

I finally got ahold of the coach today and she only really asked me about her bar skills, she said they don't compete 6 but she has a group of lower level 7s she could probably place her with, but also warned me that she might not be ready to compete. DD on the other hand now seems super extra motivated to get the skills she's missing, so I guess we will see in a month when we get out there.

Austin is a great place to live, you will love it! There is tons to do and everything is very kid friendly. We are in the burbs so the Northwest side of Austin but still on around 20-25 minutes to downtown.

What gym did you decide on?

Austin is a great place to live, you will love it! There is tons to do and everything is very kid friendly. We are in the burbs so the Northwest side of Austin but still on around 20-25 minutes to downtown.

What gym did you decide on?

I think we've decided on Capital, it's only 10 min or so from where we will be living so unless something really doesn't work out there I don't want to drive all the way across Austin :) unless there is another gym on the north side of town I should check out??

I think Capital is the best from what I can find. We are at Acrotex b/c I didn't really know when enrolling last August what to look for. When looking at their schedules I don't think Acrotex has the higher levels for girls (but it does for boys). I think we'll probably see how she does this year and maybe move next year. We are up in Cedar Park so there is a Capital close to us too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back